The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-14-2021, 03:29 PM

Default Multiac Buster Jones

What, if anything, differntiated the late (great) Buster B Jones' Godin Multiac SA from what you can buy off the shelf? Also, did Buster use any special processing? His sound on the 'Guitar of Jerry Reed' dvd to my ear is fantastic. Thanks for any information.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:01 PM

Good question, but I think the answer is pretty straightforward.

Obviously he was incredibly talented. He played with some compression and reverb. But adding to the sound you hear was this: Buster had developed a lot of hand issues and that’s when he switched to the nylon stringed Multiac. Then, he usually tuned down to decrease the stress on his fingers. Several DVDs of instruction and performance are available on Stefan Grossman’s website.

Buster died way too young… alcohol. What a shame.

Rick
Old 08-15-2021, 07:51 PM

Just wanted to say - love Buster. He was so very talented. Rest in peace, my friend and thanks for sharing all that you did.

I second the Grossman website videos. Buster's lessons seem a bit advanced for me, but I caught a video of his on youtube talking about fingerpicking patterns that I found incredibly useful.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
Just wanted to say - love Buster. He was so very talented. Rest in peace, my friend and thanks for sharing all that you did.

I second the Grossman website videos. Buster's lessons seem a bit advanced for me, but I caught a video of his on youtube talking about fingerpicking patterns that I found incredibly useful.
Unfortunately, Buster is not the best teacher for those of us who lack natural talent! TrueFire has a very good lesson on rolls by Brooks Robertson entitled, “On Location: Fingerstyle Rolls.” This lesson is the practice track that it would have been nice to see on the Buster B. video. In essence, the rolls are a lot of what you hear in his music - rolling arpeggios, if you will. Buster B. and Jerry Reed were masters for the technique. IMO, the roll produces a ‘wall of sound’ (no reference to Phil Spector intended, just a good metaphor) that keeps coming at you. Tommy Emmanuel (and come to think of it, Doyle Dykes) may be the latest performer(s) to use this as his centerpiece. And I still go back to the Thom Bresh DVD from Homespun (“Like Father Like Son”) for a refresher. Bresh divulges a lot of hints on how to obtain the Travis sound including rolls, rhythm and chords.

After way too many years, I am still working at that sound. The Brooks Robertson course may be what I needed. Then, also remember, that these guys threw in a lot of chord extensions and variations (especially 9ths and diminished chords) that once you learn them, make the music comes alive.

If only I had started to play guitar when I was five years old, sigh…

Rick

Last edited by srick; 08-16-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Unfortunately, Buster is not the best teacher for those of us who lack natural talent! TrueFire has a very good lesson on rolls by Bruce Robertson entitled, “On Location: Fingerstyle Rolls.” This lesson is the practice track that it would have been nice to see on the Buster B. video. In essence, the rolls are a lot of what you hear in his music - rolling arpeggios, if you will. Buster B. and Jerry Reed were masters for the technique. IMO, the roll produces a ‘wall of sound’ (no reference to Phil Spector intended, just a good metaphor) that keeps coming at you. Tommy Emmanuel (and come to think of it, Doyle Dykes) may be the latest performer(s) to use this as his centerpiece. And I still go back to the Thom Bresh DVD from Homespun (“Like Father Like Son”) for a refresher. Bresh divulges a lot of hints on how to obtain the Travis sound including rolls, rhythm and chords.

After way too many years, I am still working at that sound. The Brooks Robertson course may be what I needed. Then, also remember, that these guys threw in a lot of chord extensions and variations (especially 9ths and diminished chords) that once you learn them, make the music comes alive.

If only I had started to play guitar when I was five years old, sigh…

Rick
Ha. Rick, yes it is the rolls video I was referring to!

I spent the first year of my experience with the guitar trying to figure things out on my own because my hands were too injured to make and hold down chords for long. On hind sight, while trying to recuperate from a major shoulder injury was probably not the best time to pick up guitar, but I am so very glad I did.

At any rate, as I was blindly stumbling along I found when it came to picking I naturally tended to favor a three note pattern, which Buster's video eventually revealed was a reverse roll. I can't do much with it myself, but I am trying to learn how to. Interestingly enough, I can do reverse rolls with decent speed and comfort but the forward rolls I have to slow down for.

I am going to look up the Thom Bresh and Bruce (Brooks?) Robertson instructionals you referred to! Thanks so much!!

And yes, I, too, wish I had picked up guitar a long time ago instead of a couple of years ago. But, am grateful that I did at all!!
Old 08-16-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
At any rate, as I was blindly stumbling along I found when it came to picking I naturally tended to favor a three note pattern, which Buster's video eventually revealed was a reverse roll. I can't do much with it myself, but I am trying to learn how to. Interestingly enough, I can do reverse rolls with decent speed and comfort but the forward rolls I have to slow down for.
That’s interesting because I have the same issue with forward vs. reverse rolls.

Quote:
I am going to look up the Thom Bresh and Bruce (Brooks?) Robertson instructionals you referred to! Thanks so much!!
You’re right - Brooks Robertson
Old 08-17-2021, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
What, if anything, differntiated the late (great) Buster B Jones' Godin Multiac SA from what you can buy off the shelf? Also, did Buster use any special processing? His sound on the 'Guitar of Jerry Reed' dvd to my ear is fantastic. Thanks for any information.
Hi Dory,
I'm not sure what style you can buy off the shelf today from Godin, but I can provide some info on the guitar that Buster used on that Jerry Reed video lesson: (I have that lesson too. Great stuff from Buster).
It is (was) a Godin Multiac Nylon SA, with a solid mahogany body, a solid spruce top and an ebony fretboard. It was equipped with the SA Preamp System, which had a 1/4" output for the acoustic tone as well as a 13 pin connector for synth access. And of course, some of Buster's cosmetic add-ons and his name across the fretboard. (which would be intimidating to play if you didn't have the chops of "Le Machine Gun" as the French used to call him. )

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-17-2021, 09:32 AM

OP -- I came across this post on this forum (the rest of the thread isn't relevant/informative about Buster's guitar):

Quote:
My dear departed friend, Brad (Buster B.) Jones liked the Multiac with the synth pickup,, not so much for the synth,, he actually liked the more brittle , more crunch tone of that pickup,, i told him the Duet sounded more natural to me but he thought i was nuts,, go figure,,

Rick
Very little information here, though it seems his was a stock SA model :

https://www.misterguitar.us/forum/vi....php?f=6&t=172

Surprisingly hard to find information about his guitar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
"Le Machine Gun" as the French used to call him.
ha, did not know that. Apt! I love this video showcasing his guitar talents:

Old 08-17-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
My dear departed friend, Brad (Buster B.) Jones liked the Multiac with the synth pickup,, not so much for the synth,, he actually liked the more brittle , more crunch tone of that pickup,, i told him the Duet sounded more natural to me but he thought i was nuts,, go figure,,

Rick
My gosh - gotta love the internet and AGF!
Old 08-24-2021, 09:40 AM

I knew Buster (Bradley Jones )
Way back when
Multiac SA (pearl) was the same as off the shelf
Except for the pearl inlays he custom ordered.
It was all cosmetic
Old 08-24-2021, 07:07 PM

He said the exact same thing to me!
He liked the crunch sound of the
McClish pickups
Old 11-18-2021, 05:14 PM

Does anyone happen to know what kind of nylon strings Buster Jones used on his Multiac? I'm mostly wondering about the tension (normal or hard). He gets bright, percussive sound out his Multiac that is not typical of most nylon string guitars.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:50 PM

Default Some Multiac details

If anyone sees this I have a bit of info for a couple of the questions above. I also was interested in Buster's multiac and before I bought one I sent an email to Godin with some questions and they were kind enough to send a response.
First, I was curious about the nut width of his multiac. Since I'd read/heard that he had some hand issues I was thinking he might have played a 1-7/8" nut width. Their reply;

Buster B Jones played a Multiac Nylon SA with the following specs :

chambered mahogany body
solid spruce top
mahogany neck
ebony fingerboard and bridge
RMC electronics
1.9" nut width
16" fingerboard radius
25.5" scale

Then I had concerns about how to adress intonation problems if they arise. Their reply;

The intonation is not adjustable.
We recommend using d'Addario Pro Arte hard tension nylon strings.

Now I have no idea what strings Buster used but the strings they recommend sound great on mine.

Hope I helped someone.

Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe
Martin D-16
Les Paul Tribute
Kenny Hill Player - Classical
Guild 1971 dread
Yamaha LS6
Goldtone 5 string banjo
Loar Mandolin
Fender Sqieur Strat Ibanez
Ibanez GIO
Epiphone es339
Grote es 335 copy
Harley Benton acoustic nylon crossover
Angel Lopez (Godin multiac copy)
assorted ululeles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical