The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-29-2021, 09:16 AM

Default Curious About Emerald Solace

I am interested in hearing from forum members about their experiences with the Emerald Solace. Do you like the sound? Is it comfortable on the lap? How do they compare sound wise to a good wood weissenborn guitar? Are there strings that seem to work well with it? Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorehand View Post
I am interested in hearing from forum members about their experiences with the Emerald Solace. Do you like the sound? Is it comfortable on the lap? How do they compare sound wise to a good wood weissenborn guitar? Are there strings that seem to work well with it? Thanks for sharing your experience.
I’ll be interested to see if anyone responds.

So far, I don’t think anyone here has bought a Solace - or at least, if they have, they’re keeping very quiet about it
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 10-29-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:09 AM

Well David you appear to be quite prescient.

Even though I was "asking for a friend", I hope to have one delivered via Reverb sale to my home next week. Perhaps I will be able to answer my own questions. Maybe I will share my observations.

On the other hand, I guess it is good that current owners of the Solace are not obsessed with reading the carbon fiber forum like I seem to be... The home of everything important dealing with acoustic guitars and perhaps life itself.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorehand View Post
The home of everything important dealing with acoustic guitars and perhaps life itself.
The first part is true but the second?

Astute yes. Prescient no.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Sorehand, I'm starting to look at buying a carbon fiber guitar. I'll be very interested in hearing you thoughts after playin your Emerald.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:52 AM

The Emerald Solace I purchased has arrived. First off the instrument is visually stunning. It has quilted tamo ash as the face veneer. I have never seen a more eye popping quilted wood such as this. The body is deeper than any weissenborn style guitar I have played in the past. Comfort wise this is a positive for me. The sound (an I know this is so subjective) is beyond my expectations. Deep, beautiful, 'ringing forever' notes that sing with the lightest of touch with my steel bar and plucked with bare fingers.

The height of the nut is lower than I have seen used on other lap guitars. No real problem but it requires slight modification on my approach with the slide. I hope to find out why Emerald designed it with the lower nut height. No doubt it was for a purpose. I say that because everything else in this instrument makes sense to me and seems to be an improvement on the old weissenborn designs.

The head design is a work of artistic beauty. Similar to what is used on the Emerald nylon string guitars. The tuning pegs are turned upward and really work smoothly and convieniently in this orientation.

The bridge has the pin less design. I will find out what that is about when I replace the strings. It is a clean look.

I have to admit that I was somewhat worried when I never had a response from the cf group about this style of guitar but I am glad I took the chance on the one I just received. The various videos of the Solace on the internet never showed the real voice and tone. At least not as nice as what I hear with this instrument on my lap.

I own two Emerald x20's. One six string and one twelve. Love them both. Both x20's have nice veneers but other than looking nice on the wall or when a friend plays them, I don't pay too much attention to the wood look when I play them. With the Solace the face is staring me in the face the whole time I play it. I feel the veneer is worth having as an option. Eventually, I will probably stop being distracted by the depth and beauty of this wood. Right now I get lost while looking at it.

Thanks for reading. Sorry for not sharing the always asked about pictures but that is beyond my technical skills.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I’m very happy to hear that you’re happy with your Solace. I think it’s a super looking instrument, and one I could be tempted by, were it not for the fact that all my previous attempts at lap steel in any form have failed miserably.

I’d love to hear one of these in the hands of one of the masters like Jerry Douglas or Cindy Cashdollar.
Cordoba Stage

Old 11-06-2021, 09:20 AM

Thank you Mr. Eastwood for mentioning Jerry Douglas and Cindy Cashdollar. I was not aware of either of them until this morning. Good playing indeed!
Old 02-09-2022, 11:49 AM

I ordered a Solace in May when they were first launched on the builder. I requested a Krivo magnetic which was not offered, so it took until November for delivery, as a pickup had to be designed specifically for that purpose. It was worth the wait. I ordered vibrant weave CF in amber (no veneer) with the Krivo, Ghost and K&K pickups.

I have a particularly nice handmade Weissenborn by UK luthier Pete Gosden. The Solace has longer sustain and much better articulation. Amplified it is incredible. My only bugbear is the nut is a hair too low to easily instal a Beard Wave capo in the lower positions.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...20000..&type=3

Last edited by Porltee; 02-10-2022 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:29 PM

Beautiful Solace. Thanks for sharing the photos. Mine is without electronics but I imagine that pickup will open many more sound textures for you.

I doubt it would be too difficult to replace the nut with one that fits the Beard wave capo.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porltee View Post
I ordered a Solace in May when they were first launched on the builder. I requested a Krivo magnetic which was not offered, so it took until November for delivery, as a pickup had to be designed specifically for that purpose. I was worth the wait. I ordred vibrant weave CF in amber (no veneer) with the Krivo, Ghost and K&K pickups.

I have a particularly nice handmade Weissenborn by UK luthier Pete Gosden. The Solace has longer sustain and much better articulation. Amplified it is incredible. My only bugbear is the nut is a hair too low to easily instal a Beard Wave capo in the lower positions.

Beautiful guitar! Glad to learn it sounds as good as it looks...
Old 02-09-2022, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Porltee, your Solace is so cool! Enjoy it in good health!!
Old 02-09-2022, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porltee View Post
I ordered a Solace in May when they were first launched on the builder. I requested a Krivo magnetic which was not offered, so it took until November for delivery, as a pickup had to be designed specifically for that purpose. I was worth the wait. I ordred vibrant weave CF in amber (no veneer) with the Krivo, Ghost and K&K pickups.

That’s a gorgeous instrument, Paul. And, welcome to the AGF!

If you haven’t already, you might want to drop a note to Emerald about the nut height. They’d probably like to know for future builds.
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by David Eastwood; 02-09-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Wow! That is striking - and a great electronics set up on it. Congrats!
Old 02-09-2022, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Gorgeous, stunning, striking...doesn't quite seem to cover it. What a beautiful instrument! It would be nice to see more of those pop up in the forum. Have you seen Alistair's Quarantine Project videos? They give an idea of how much work went into the design of the Solace.

Enjoy your Solace!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber