The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-25-2022, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Always good to read a success story ! Thanks for the update.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Someone hit me up on PM asking about the what stap lock system they saw me apparently using swapping out guitars in the video. Here is my reply to him, plus some photos:

I use strap locks on most of my guitars. I went over to the D'Addario strap buttons several years ago back when they were still Planet Waves branded. I like the more aggressively angular and deeper slotted recess which seems to hold straps much better than the usual shallow, smooth radius you see with most stock strap buttons that tend to more easily allow the strap to slip off.

I eventually decided to go full strap lock but didn't like the usual ones I found that were heavy, complicated and a chore to install. Then I found the D'Addario system that worked with my preferred (and existing) strap buttons. I was delighted with this system because besides the simple function it was also the easiest system to install (and remove) especially on the thick Levy leather straps I prefer.

To use strap locks on guitars with pickup jack/bottom button combos I use the Acousti-Loc offset strap button system designed to work with jacks. This allows me to use a strap lock at both ends while still plugging in. I do change out the strap button that comes with the Acousti-Loc as the stock one will not work with the D'Addario strap lock system. This requires me to drill out the button a bit to get the screw to fully seat.

Photos to follow.

Our local guitar store needs to order the Acousti-Lok and asked if the RainSong jack needs the SAE thread or the metric thread?

Many thanks.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 08-06-2022, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Our local guitar store needs to order the Acousti-Lok and asked if the RainSong jack needs the SAE thread or the metric thread?

Many thanks.
I just looked up my Amazon purchases for these and all three were metric. So, Metric!
Old 08-06-2022, 11:07 PM

Thanks for confirming the jack is metric. I was guessing SAE.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 08-07-2022, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Thanks for confirming the jack is metric. I was guessing SAE.
You're welcome! That's why we're here!!

Interestingly, I've now used these on several guitars (they get swapped out when a guitar is sold for another) and all of them have been metric. I guess most aftermarket pickup system jacks are made outside the US or at least the parts (jacks) are sourced from outside the US and therefore are metric. It makes me wonder who uses SAE size jacks.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
You're welcome! That's why we're here!!

Interestingly, I've now used these on several guitars (they get swapped out when a guitar is sold for another) and all of them have been metric. I guess most aftermarket pickup system jacks are made outside the US or at least the parts (jacks) are sourced from outside the US and therefore are metric. It makes me wonder who uses SAE size jacks.
I think Fishman uses SAE and LR Baggs uses Metric.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I'm now fully 6 months into owning this RainSong Black Ice Custom dread and I've got to say, I'm really digging it. It's actually become the primary gigging guitar for both acoustic and amplified. I'm really not sure why but it just sort of happened. I still play the Nashville OM Shorty but probably only 10-15% of the time for both practicing and gigs. I think the Shorty is more comfortable to play but time and again I grab the Black Ice.

For something I was very much on the fence about buying it has certainly worked out quite well. I sold off the Froggy Bottom a few months back and now I'm down to just the two RainSongs. I thought I'd miss having an all wood guitar but so far I'm enjoying just the two CF guitars. It helps that we're now retired and living on a fixed income and also that we are spending a boatload of time (and money) fixing up the house. So no time to dwell on the AGF classifieds and no money to buy anything anyway!
Old 08-27-2022, 04:33 AM

Quote:
I'm now fully 6 months into owning this RainSong Black Ice Custom dread and I've got to say, I'm really digging it. It's actually become the primary gigging guitar for both acoustic and amplified. I'm really not sure why but it just sort of happened. I still play the Nashville OM Shorty but probably only 10-15% of the time for both practicing and gigs. I think the Shorty is more comfortable to play but time and again I grab the Black Ice.

For something I was very much on the fence about buying it has certainly worked out quite well. I sold off the Froggy Bottom a few months back and now I'm down to just the two RainSongs. I thought I'd miss having an all wood guitar but so far I'm enjoying just the two CF guitars. It helps that we're now retired and living on a fixed income and also that we are spending a boatload of time (and money) fixing up the house. So no time to dwell on the AGF classifieds and no money to buy anything anyway!
I sold off three guitars in the last few weeks. I only kept the ones in my signature. However, I am GASing again for a carbon fiber guitar. I really don't need it at the moment as my use case doesn't really require an indestructible instrument. And, frankly RainSong would be my first choice. I had an H-DR-1100N2 which I liked a lot. I sold it for cash back in early 2020. However, that model is discontinued and I have no experience with the CO or BI models. I nearly purchased a V-DR-1100N2 but cancelled the order after reading some reviews indicating that the bass response may be a bit muted, which would not serve me when leading bluegrass jams. So, I guess I'll wait until I can put hands on a few of these.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I sold off three guitars in the last few weeks. I only kept the ones in my signature. However, I am GASing again for a carbon fiber guitar. I really don't need it at the moment as my use case doesn't really require an indestructible instrument. And, frankly RainSong would be my first choice. I had an H-DR-1100N2 which I liked a lot. I sold it for cash back in early 2020. However, that model is discontinued and I have no experience with the CO or BI models. I nearly purchased a V-DR-1100N2 but cancelled the order after reading some reviews indicating that the bass response may be a bit muted, which would not serve me when leading bluegrass jams. So, I guess I'll wait until I can put hands on a few of these.
Dave, I love RainSongs but may I suggest you also consider an Emerald X20, especially if you can try one before buying as the regular neck profile may not be to your liking but custom neck widths etc., are available. The neck profile on my Emerald X20 Transparent Green is the only feature I'm not comfortable with. Also, I don't like the way Emerald routed the wiring along the top and back for their installation of the LR Baggs Element VTC. Should you buy an Emerald, let me suggest you forgo that pickup/preamp system and perhaps have Emerald install a K&K Pure Mini.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-27-2022, 10:35 AM

Default NGD: RainSong DR-BI 12 fret dread in Black Ice - updated after using for gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Dave, I love RainSongs but may I suggest you also consider an Emerald X20, especially if you can try one before buying as the regular neck profile may not be to your liking but custom neck widths etc., are available. The neck profile on my Emerald X20 Transparent Green is the only feature I'm not comfortable with. Also, I don't like the way Emerald routed the wiring along the top and back for their installation of the LR Baggs Element VTC. Should you buy an Emerald, let me suggest you forgo that pickup/preamp system and perhaps have Emerald install a K&K Pure Mini.

Ken,

Emerald is very much on my radar! Being of Irish heritage I would actually love to own an Irish made guitar.

Would the X-20 be sufficiently powerful for leading a bluegrass group or would an X-30 be required? The X-30 is a pretty big guitar. Seems I’m kind in the non-existent X-25 size.

Otherwise, yes, I would generally forgo the active pickup systems and go with a simple K&K. Some of their pickups are quite innovative in terms of features but didn’t sound any more realistic than a simple K&K.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Ken,

Emerald is very much on my radar! Being of Irish heritage I would actually love to own an Irish made guitar.

Would the X-20 be sufficiently powerful for leading a bluegrass group or would an X-30 be required? The X-30 is a pretty big guitar. Seems I’m kind in the non-existent X-25 size.

Otherwise, yes, I would generally forgo the active pickup systems and go with a simple K&K. Some of their pickups are quite innovative in terms of features but didn’t sound any more realistic than a simple K&K.
Dave, although the Emerald X20 has plenty of bass-end resonance and punch, I'd think of it more as a Taylor Grand Auditorium-like/Swiss Army Knife-like guitar. It may do okay for Bluegrass but likely the bigger Emerald X30 would give you more of what you need for 'grass. Disclaimer: I've not played an Emerald X30 so those who have would be a better reference for you, and there are players on this forum that have owned both the X20 and X30. Get Well, Fast, Dave!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-27-2022, 01:33 PM

Well...then there is the guy who walks into a bluegrass jam with an Emerald

I can just hear the voices (think old Westerns), "You aren't from around these parts are ya"?
Old 08-27-2022, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

I can just hear the voices (think old Westerns), "You aren't from around these parts are ya"?
That would even worse than showing up with a Taylor!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-27-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Dave, although the Emerald X20 has plenty of bass-end resonance and punch, I'd think of it more as a Taylor Grand Auditorium-like/Swiss Army Knife-like guitar. It may do okay for Bluegrass but likely the bigger Emerald X30 would give you more of what you need for 'grass. Disclaimer: I've not played an Emerald X30 so those who have would be a better reference for you, and there are players on this forum that have owned both the X20 and X30. Get Well, Fast, Dave!

Thanks for the great advice as usual!
Old 08-27-2022, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

A few years ago, my wife talked me into taking my X7 to an advertised "Jam" in an RV park in Branson, MO. You know how in the movies when a stranger in a western movie walks into a bar and the whole place goes silent and turns to look? Yep, that was the situation. It was a 3 piece country band - old timey country - and not what I would call "a jam." They were nice and welcoming, and when I pulled my X7 out of the gig bag... yeah, more silence. Finally, the big guy in the bib overalls asked, "Is that made out of fiberglass??"

I started to explain about carbon fiber and finally just said, "Yeah, let's call it like fiberglass."

They just wanted to know if I could play C-F-and G. They let me plug into the PA and asked if I could play a lead and sing... "Yeah, I can do that... if you have the lyrics."

For those that don't know me, I am an old rock 'n roller. I am not a country kinda guy... and these guys played both kinds of music: country and western. After playing a few songs, the big guy said, "Well, let's play something you usually play. Rock and roll... so, like Elvis?"

Sorry for drifting off topic - the comment about bringing an X20 to a bluegrass jam made me think of that night. I think we all had some fun, and made some effort to adjust to each other's music. I have an X20, and it would hold it's own in any setting. Oh, and for the record: the big guy with the bibs was playing an old Taylor dread.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 08-27-2022 at 10:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber