The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-11-2022, 05:01 PM

Default Mediums on an old L-4?

Howdy,

I recently acquired a 1930 L-4 and I’d like to put on mediums or at least bluegrass gauge. Lights are great but being a flat top man, I looking for my usual gauge. Found some info saying it’ll be fine but let’s see what y’all think.

The guitar itself is in excellent structural condition. I’m not trying to make it sound like a flat top, just want to maximize ma tone.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:26 PM

Try a set of Martin Retro Monel MLJ 13's, a medium-light set that'll also provide an authentic period tonal vibe - just allow a couple weeks of consistent playing for them to break in - and go up to the MM13 set if you need something heavier...
Old 04-12-2022, 06:07 AM

By "mediums" do you mean 13s? The guitar will probably be fine with those. I'd do a quick check a day or two after putting them on to make sure the top isn't sinking too much, but I'd expect it to hold up without a problem.

And I echo the monel string suggestion; my '46 L-4 is really a different animal from your guitar, but it shines with Martin Retros. Those strings do something in the mids which is just perfect for archtops.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:37 PM

Thanks all!
Old 04-18-2022, 07:06 AM

I bet that in the day the players were using heavy gauge to get the maximum sound out of that Archtop.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sa View Post
I bet that in the day the players were using heavy gauge to get the maximum sound out of that Archtop.
Eddie Lang played very heavy gauges, including a wound B string.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Try a set of Martin Retro Monel MLJ 13's, a medium-light set that'll also provide an authentic period tonal vibe - just allow a couple weeks of consistent playing for them to break in - and go up to the MM13 set if you need something heavier...
agree with Steve. they can sound very very nice on an L4, after trying 9-10 diff strings on my archtop, those were in the top 3 for sure. if the guitar is stable mediums will be no prob, remember those guitars were meant for very heavy strings in order to drive the top to its potential. martin monel retros are very nice sounding strings i even have them on one of my older dreads still. my top 3 for my archtop were the monels, george bensons, and Newtone archtop strings...a nice 4th was simple silk and steels for lower tension requirements .

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 07-02-2022, 04:28 PM

Another option is Daddario nickel bronze balanced tension mediums. Their overall tension is a bit less than a normal pack of mediums and they have a great sound. I prefer them to Martin retros on my acoustic archtops.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:52 PM

Default Mediums on an old L-4?

Alright! After getting this one back for some minor repair work in the shop and a pro setup for mediums, it’s a great flat picking instrument. Not the best rhythm machine, but simply terrific playing lead and superb with a capo up the neck. The volume it generates is surprising. I tried several different picks to find the right thickness, unlike most my flat tops where the heavier the better typically.

A terrific compliment to anybody stuck in an acoustic rut or looking for something a bit different.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Monels are great on an archtop. I'd also recommend trying SCGC medium tension if you want a bit more of the reverb effect.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamazooGuy View Post
Alright! After getting this one back for some minor repair work in the shop and a pro setup for mediums, it’s a great flat picking instrument. Not the best rhythm machine, but simply terrific playing lead and superb with a capo up the neck. The volume it generates is surprising. I tried several different picks to find the right thickness, unlike most my flat tops where the heavier the better typically.

A terrific compliment to anybody stuck in an acoustic rut or looking for something a bit different.
Glad this is alive again > definitely obsessed with older Gibson archtops above my L50

Maybe that L 4 can be rhythm machine - just not style you worked out yet

I'm on my fourth time around with archtops...been playing L50 in public with Cajun Bayou female singer, its great for playing rhythms she can kill - its just a different technique

Enjoy the L4, good place to be
Guild Acoustic Fretless Bass
Old 10-12-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmHulme View Post
Monels are great on an archtop. I'd also recommend trying SCGC medium tension if you want a bit more of the reverb effect.

Cool, I will try both!

I always drool over the fancier Gibson archtops pre 1960. Anyone have a comparison ?
Old 10-14-2022, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I have a '34b build L-4 -really a '35 model. Hardly discernable from an L-7.
Back then Gibson archtops were built like tanks (no, not Russian ones!) and mine works best with 13s (nickel)

16" body.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops