The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I recommend you contact John at AGF sponsor Shoreline Music. Tell him about your budget, preference for Taylor, and playing style, and he will recommend a model in your price range.

I have no financial interest in this recommendation, I am just a happy Shoreline customer, and I am confident in John's knowledge of the Taylor line.

Best wishes, and let us know what you end up with!
This is a good suggestion. Shoreline also carries Larrivee guitars. You could get an all solid Larrivee for a few bucks more than a Taylor 200 series. They have very Taylor-ish necks and are worth the extra $$ (IMO). They do have their own kind of tone though.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum.

First thing I would do, is run over to guitar center and play a bunch of models. Even if you are just learning, hopefully you can find some alone time in the acoustic room in case you are embarrassed to play. You will also be able to hear the nuances of some of the different guitars. And make sure you are buying a guitar that is comfortable for you to play. Before pulling the trigger it is usually worthwhile to call a couple of our sponsors. They are knowledgeable and generally will get you a great price.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:51 AM

Welcome to AGF!

With that price range, there are a lot of great options. As others have mentioned, you should check out the Taylor 300s in addition to the 200s. All solid wood, slightly wider neck. The 300 series is also where you can get a Grand Concert, e.g 312. Slightly smaller than the Grand Auditoriums such as the 214 and slightly shorter neck, some find they are more comfortable and easier to play. The 400 series might be in your reach as well.

Also as others have noted, give a couple of the forum sponsors a call. Shoreline was mentioned. I can also whole-heartily recommend Ted at LA Guitars. They will be able to provide great info and great prices.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSkills View Post
My Budget is like 1,500$persobally preferTaylors over Martins but I'm open to suggestions
If you really like the Taylor voicing, buy a Taylor. I'm with others here who suggest going to an all wood Taylor used. You can buy a pretty dang nice used Taylor for $1500. Laminates are laminates with Taylor and the tone difference, if there is any, would be negligible.
There are a lot of choices in your price range.
Unless you are in a big hurry, I would spend some time looking and playing as many as you can.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

For what it's worth, I love my Taylor 214 DLX! I added a Bob Colosi bone nut, saddle and bridge pins. Her tone and voice are exceptional and she resonates wonderfully. But I agree with the others that say to try out as many as you can and find the one that says take me home!!

2022 Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2014 Taylor Holden Village GSmini
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
Martin DX Woodstock 50th Anniversary*For Sale
Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition*For Sale
2017 Martin LXK2*For Sale
Old 09-21-2016, 12:10 PM

I know many say buy used. Yes you can prob get a nice 414ce for the $1500 price range (They go for $2300 new) or even a 314ce for around $1000. You can check out Guitar Center online and see all their used inventory and get feel for prices. But there are risks to buying used. Unless it is from big box store like GC that allows returns.

But there is also something wonderful about buying brand new. You get to choose the exact guitar and have return period .. as well as warranty.

You cannot go wrong with a 214ce Deluxe. Plus see if any of the Sponsors sell them. You will get great deal and excellent service!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
koa, rosewoood, taylor