The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-18-2018, 02:05 AM

Default Gillette has the monopoly.. infuriating!

Yes I’ve been using a DE safety razor for about 10 years now . No problems , better shave and cheap blades ( Feather blades ) Badger brush and good shaving soap or cream
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 08-18-2018, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

I use BIC disposable razors. My wife buys them for me at the supermarket, and they come in packs of ten which works out about 20 pence each and each one lasts a couple of months.

At least that was the case.
After my radio therapy killed my beard on me left side, they probably last twice as long.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:18 AM

I used to use that Pro Fusion Glide (I think that's what they're called)...smoothest shave I ever had (back when I shaved my dome, too)...but the packs of blades got over $18.00...I switched to the Dollar Shave Club...
Old 08-18-2018, 04:40 AM

I use Gillette and they work great but they are more expensive than some other brands. A couple of years ago I tried a Wal-Mart brand, I think it was called Johnson, and the blades were terrible. I'll stick to Gillette or Bic or some well known brand name for razors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Have you tried a 'worldwide' search on ebay?
Select 'lowest price with postage'.

10 blades for $1.00 with free postage from China.

No problems.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I'm like a broken record here, , but a double edge safety razor shaves better than the Mach 3's and the like for me. I used Gilettes for 20 years or so and I've been using DE's for almost 10 years now and I'll never go back to Gilettes.
I just can saw this part:
Quote:
I change blades every 5 or so shaves.
You may have more of a super beard than me though.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
I used to use that Pro Fusion Glide (I think that's what they're called)...smoothest shave I ever had (back when I shaved my dome, too)...but the packs of blades got over $18.00...I switched to the Dollar Shave Club...
I tried that brand and came away convinced that Gillette must manufacture them just to sell fusions as the Camry to their Corolla. I'm paranoid.

They're stinking expensive, and it feels like extortion and theft. But I just can't find anything that lasts as long at that shave quality. I'll try the double safety razor thing to satisfy my own curiosity, but if it's replacement every 5 shaves, I'm probably still in the place.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
how is the dollar shave club's razors compared to the pro fusion?? please give me a review! (:
Old 08-18-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I'm like a broken record here, , but a double edge safety razor shaves better than the Mach 3's and the like for me. I used Gilettes for 20 years or so and I've been using DE's for almost 10 years now and I'll never go back to Gilettes.
I used an electric Norelco for a few years until I went to a blade. I used an old handle I got from dad, who used it Korea. That was fine for many years, but then my son bought me a Merkur razor and I'd never use anything else. The weight, balance, and precision of the Merkur is amazing. I use Personna double-edge blades.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I use BIC disposable razors. My wife buys them for me at the supermarket, and they come in packs of ten which works out about 20 pence each and each one lasts a couple of months.

At least that was the case.
After my radio therapy killed my beard on me left side, they probably last twice as long.
I use these as well.
They last quite a long time, give a very close comfortable shave and as you noted, are very inexpensive.
Since I am bald, I also use them to shave my head. I can get through an entire year with about two packs. I use facial soap and hot water for my lather. Works just fine.
I also have an electric that I use on my neck are when I want a quick shave on my neck and the trimmed areas around my beard.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-18-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
how is the dollar shave club's razors compared to the pro fusion?? please give me a review! (:
Well, nothing I've tried swivels and shaves as clean as the Pro Fusion, they're just priced out of my range. I actually tried every razor DSC offers before I got a shave I liked. That was w/the Executive model (I think that's what it's called). It's their top model but still real affordable, IMHO. It's been a long time since I've gotten any blades from them, as I haven't had a haircut in two years and can go 2 or 3 days between shaves (so I have a good backlog of blades). Their shave butter and post-shave cream are the best I've ever used as well.

Here's a link:https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

In a nutshell, I'm satisfied w/the shave I get from their Executive ($9.00/month for 4 6-blade cartridges and they give you the handle) ...check 'em out!!! "Not a paid spokesperson"...
Old 08-18-2018, 10:02 AM

Back when I did use modern disposable blades I got them to last up to 5 months of daily use.
Here's how.

I've learned blades go dull more from rust/tarnish than actual use.
So - prevent the rust.

After using firmly tap out all the moisture-retaining hair and gunk that gets stuck between the blades.
Then rinse and tap some more.
When no more hair comes out and you can see it's all gone spray it with a pump bottle of 90% Isopropyl Alcohol.
Then use canned air to spray that away, both sides front and rear.
Then dry it even dryer using the hair dryer.

Then store it OUT of the bathroom, away from that humidity.

It sounds like a hassle, but takes only a few seconds.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:39 AM

OK. I spend about $5 per week for the fancy Gillette blades. They work great and start my day well. I figure that's $$260 per year and it makes my Martin to shaving cost ratio look better on the annual report.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:49 AM

I've tried about everything over the years and I've never found anything that works better for me than the old reliable Gillette Trac II, no pivot, with the lubra strip..

I can get a 12 pack for usually less than $10, and they last so long I'll forget when I bought them...

I also read a Consumer Reports article on disposable razors and they rated this model the best, and said the only thing you had to watch was that they were so sharp they'd cut the be-jeezus out of you if you weren't careful...

I haven't had a nick in many years, get a great shave every time, and they just happen to be economical too...
Old 08-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Dollar Shave Club... excellent quality, great price, great customer service!

I also used Harry's for about three years or so, but D$C has them beat...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-19-2018, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

I've used Wilkinson Sword blades my whole life. Made in England. Best blade there is, IMO.

Can only find them onlline these days. Recently bought a box of 100, which might last the rest of my shaving days as I only shave every now and then.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic