The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-10-2018, 08:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I'm in Ohio and installed my panels myself. Payback for us is in the 4 year range but that's because I did all the labor and just had it inspected. I'm a huge fan of solar but the above comments are correct that it's far better / cheaper to just build so you use less power. Once you do that, though, solar is a great way to go.
As we also live in n Ohio we have noticed the popularity. One roof in a new high end development caught our eyes yesterday because was completely packed with solar on one side.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
When I asked the question, "Will I have to remove my panels whenever we have to re-shingle the house?", none of the solar panel salesman would give me a straight answer.

I have a field to the side of my house, and I think if I were ever to install panels, it would be out there.
Ground installation is the way to go just for that reason. Also easier to clean to keep efficiency at peak levels.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:09 AM

Raised seam copper roof will last your lifetime .
Panels will be swapped out more than once during the life of your roof .
Install enough panels to over produce your usage , more is better , sell the excess back to the power company and use the difference to fund your down time needs .
If you can manage your down time usage , the plus side will pay for new panels as/when needed .
Of course , being able to put them somewhere other than on your roof is ideal .
Old 08-11-2018, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Tesla hit the nail on the head with the solar panel roof shingles... Wonder why nobody else came up with those ? Putting the regular panels on the ground is ideal, but unfortunately not enough space for them in my yard.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Raised seam copper roof will last your lifetime .
Panels will be swapped out more than once during the life of your roof .
Install enough panels to over produce your usage , more is better , sell the excess back to the power company and use the difference to fund your down time needs .
If you can manage your down time usage , the plus side will pay for new panels as/when needed .
Of course , being able to put them somewhere other than on your roof is ideal .
Double check your local regulations. In my area, if you produce more than you use in a rolling 12 month period, you are considered a producer and are no longer eligible to 'turn the meter backwards.' You are far better off producing just slightly less than what you use.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
Tesla hit the nail on the head with the solar panel roof shingles... Wonder why nobody else came up with those ? Putting the regular panels on the ground is ideal, but unfortunately not enough space for them in my yard.
In the next few years, this approach is going to be a no-brainer. Still not quite "here" yet. Will probably be bigger in au markets first, where energy costs etc make the economics more practical.

Also, the more we move towards electric for transportation, ....let's just say that overage and selling bank energy to the grid won't be as much the issue. It'll be battery storage etc. https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/05/c...la-solar-roof/
Old 08-11-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
The solar shingle idea has been around for decades, believe it or not. The issue is in creating something that actually works at a price point that folks will pay. Tesla is also fighting through those issues. Maybe they'll get it, maybe they won't. I hope they do.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:44 PM

Solar roof shingles are inevitable and will make massive panels look out-dated. Definitely worth the wait.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Solar roof shingles are inevitable and will make massive panels look out-dated. Definitely worth the wait.
It really is tough to argue that point.... I guess its just a matter of how much time we need to wait..... a year or two ? 7 yrs ?
Old 08-13-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
It really is tough to argue that point.... I guess its just a matter of how much time we need to wait..... a year or two ? 7 yrs ?
Back when I was researching solar power , about 10 years ago , solar shingles already existed . They simply were not as efficient as the regular panels .
Old 08-14-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
As we also live in n Ohio we have noticed the popularity. One roof in a new high end development caught our eyes yesterday because was completely packed with solar on one side.
Hi Mary, how you doing? It'll be interesting to see once the technology catches up and prices go down to see how solar panels go. Thinking that in 15-20 years they could cost less than other heating options from year 1, including installation.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:01 AM

Default I've got a friend...

...here in San Antonio who, on occasion, posts pictures of his electric bill on Facebook. It's usually something in the $25 range.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic