The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2010, 12:37 AM

Default Question on the Highlander IP-1

I have heard that the highlander is a very tricky installation etc. So can it be reused once taken out a guitar? Is the UST not easily damaged???
Old 08-15-2010, 01:19 PM

The Highlander pickups are like a braided tube, and they lie in a slot routed in the bed of the saddle slot, with the top of the braid just about the routed slot. That means the saddle presses down on the pickup, though the pickup isn't taking the full weight of the strings.

The pickup isn't fixed in place; rather it is left loose and is held in place only with string pressure. When changing strings it is recommended that not all the strings are removed at once, since this can cause the pickup to move from its desired position.

So yes, they can be re-used, and yes, the installation is probably the hardest of all the pickups available. Certainly it's the most tricky of any that I'm aware of.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:01 PM
*mahoganut*

I agree with colinmac. If you check Highlander's website it will lead you to a list of shops who are trained or experienced in installing it.

I really like all three of my Highlanders, btw. Great and faithful tone reproduction / enhancement through the house, a powered mixer, or to an acoustic amp.

rr/Phil
Old 08-16-2010, 12:35 AM

So even a good guitar tech will struggle? See I'm in South Africa - not sure if they have a trained/experienced listing for dark africa.........
Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 AM

The Highlander installation process, I reckon, goes beyond the scope of normal guitar tech experience, but a competent woodworker should be able to cut the pickup slot and drill the proper holes. You can, if I remember correctly, download a comprehensive installation guide from the Highlander website then show it to possible installers and check their reaction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification