The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-14-2010, 10:57 AM

Default Which QSC K Series Should I Order?

I'm going to order a QSC K series, but not sure if I should go with the K8 or K10. I'm using it at home with a Allen & Heath ZED 12FX and will split time with acoustic guitar, acoustic mic and G&L ASAT Classic. Maybe with a Boss GT-10. My biggest concern is on the acoustic side. I want the best possible tone and a good defined bass from the acoustic. Which one should I go with?

I'll be using it mainly at home. I was originally going to go with the K8, but maybe the K10 would produce better tone?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:11 AM

No way you should order based upon what we say! Go to the store to hear them. I got the K8's and tripod stands after going to the store and comparing everything I could, very satisfied for acoustic guitar and vocal.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:06 PM

They sound very similar; maybe a touch more low bass with the K10's. The biggest difference is dispersion, the K8 has a wider coverage pattern than the K10. I prefer the K10, but for a more mundane reason; they are easier to lay on their side to use as a stage monitor.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 08-14-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
No way you should order based upon what we say! Go to the store to hear them. I got the K8's and tripod stands after going to the store and comparing everything I could, very satisfied for acoustic guitar and vocal.
I just returned from Sam Ash where I did a quick listen to the K8 and K12, they were out of the K10's. The K12's have a bigger sound and Bass response than the K8's. I didn't have much time because I had to pick up my wife. they play a cd with some acoustic music that was ok, but not like plugging in with an acoustic guitar. My only concern with the K8 is will it have enough bass response. Dispersion is another factor. I'm trying to play out in my mind using the K's in a smaller area if the dispersion will be a factor. I also want to use my electric guitar/GT-10 through the mixer/K series. I don't know if the K8 will work as well with the electric rig. Again, the K8 may not have enough bottom end. Other consideration is how will either work under lower volume?

So in other words, I'm more confused after the Sam Ash visit.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:51 PM

Either speaker should have plenty of bass for guitar. If you plan to use it in the future with a full band where bass/drums may go through it, get a 10 or a 12. If you plan on using only one speaker for acoustic playing, go with the 8.

1943 Gibson J-45
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 08-14-2010, 05:09 PM

If you're presently undecided as to which speaker to go with, why not open your options and listen to a bunch of speakers; different brands/models. Visit a pro-audio dealer, rather than the typical "music store". Usually better selection, more products to choose from, typically better advice, and often, better pricing. To me, shopping for pro-audio gear at a guitar-store, is akin to shopping for a race car at WalMart.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
I prefer the K10, but for a more mundane reason; they are easier to lay on their side to use as a stage monitor.
Good point. I currently am using a Bose L1 Compact in conjunction with 2 EV ZxA1s. The L1 Compact serves primarily as a monitor, but, frankly, the stages we've played have been laid out such that the level of the L1 Compact has to be kept to low to really be heard over the EVs (I think), and at times even on stage. Last gig I felt like what I was getting from the back of the ZxA1 closest to me (they were placed at the front corners of the stage) was louder than what I could hear from the Bose L1 Compact behind me.

So, it got me thinking that maybe I'd consider one of the following options:

1. Sell the Bose L1 and get a B-stock K10 to use as a floor monitor and pocket some cash for a future system overhaul.

2. Sell the Bose L1 and 1 of the EVs and get 2 B-stock K10s, use the remaining EV as a floor monitor and probably break about even cash-wise...maybe come out a little ahead.

3. Sell the Bose L1 and both EVs and get 3 B-stock K10s, use 1 as a floor monitor and 2 for FOH, probably come out a touch behind in the cash department.

It would seem kind of weird, perhaps, to choose option 1, because I'd be using what's presumably the better speaker as a monitor at the expense of what the audience hears. However, I definitely am planning to move to a different type of setup in the future, and this actually puts cash toward that now.

Option 2 may make more sense - give us a better monitoring situation on stage, and also improve the FOH in the process, however, the issue is that, cashwise, the jump to option 3 isn't that great...

Option 3 is, IMO, really sweet, because I'd send the same mix to the stage and the FOH, and it would be put through the same devices, which would give us a better idea what the audience hears.

I may do nothing. We have our first gig coming up where the EVs aren't even necessary...this will be the true test of how the L1 Compact fares. This is what I got it for, and if it's not workable there, then I'm definitely going to sell it and move in another direction...
Old 08-15-2010, 05:38 AM

Denny,
See my PM.
davidc
Old 08-15-2010, 11:14 AM

Well I have one K8 and it's really fine for acoustic and vox. 2 would be awesome! With the Deep switch in it really throws off a lot of bass. These are great little speaker and I got mine so I could literally have my guitar on my back, a stand bag over my shoulder and a rolling Gator Speaker bag with the K8 and all my cords, pedals, etc etc, and be able to make one trip in It's been great.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

The reason I bought my pair of QSC K10 speakers, as opposed to the QSC K8 model, was because they were only 5 lbs heavier per speaker, and only a bit bigger in size, while offering more bass response and max SPL output than the QSC K8. The QSC K12 would have added 14 lbs per speaker more weight and noticeably bigger size dimensions compared to the QSC K8. Also, the QSC K10 was only $50 per speaker more in cost over the K8, while the QSC K12 would have added $150 more per speaker over the K8. Thus, I figured the QSC K10 represented a logical compromise between the QSC K8 and QSC K12 and gave me the most bang for the buck for what I wanted in a QSC K Series speaker.

The only thing that is really diminished in going from a K8 to a K10 to a K12 is the narrowing of frequency dispersion as the size goes up: K8 = 105 degrees; K10 = 90 degrees, K12 = 75 degrees. This would mean, in theory, that a K8 would be better for a small venue in which the audience is very close to the performer, and a K12 would be best in a bigger venue with the audience stretching farther back from the stage. In practice, however, a K8, K10, and K12, would sound pretty much the same with a vocalist playing an acoustic guitar. A pair of any of these models should serve a performer well in small-to-medium-sized venues. For most of us, who want great portability with good full sound, a pair of QSC K8 or QSC K10 active speakers would be sufficient. If you're playing a really large venue, it's time to rent some big cabinets for the job or use the big in-house system that may already be available.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-16-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
Good point. I currently am using a Bose L1 Compact in conjunction with 2 EV ZxA1s. The L1 Compact serves primarily as a monitor, but, frankly, the stages we've played have been laid out such that the level of the L1 Compact has to be kept to low to really be heard over the EVs (I think), and at times even on stage. Last gig I felt like what I was getting from the back of the ZxA1 closest to me (they were placed at the front corners of the stage) was louder than what I could hear from the Bose L1 Compact behind me.

So, it got me thinking that maybe I'd consider one of the following options:

1. Sell the Bose L1 and get a B-stock K10 to use as a floor monitor and pocket some cash for a future system overhaul.

2. Sell the Bose L1 and 1 of the EVs and get 2 B-stock K10s, use the remaining EV as a floor monitor and probably break about even cash-wise...maybe come out a little ahead.

3. Sell the Bose L1 and both EVs and get 3 B-stock K10s, use 1 as a floor monitor and 2 for FOH, probably come out a touch behind in the cash department.

It would seem kind of weird, perhaps, to choose option 1, because I'd be using what's presumably the better speaker as a monitor at the expense of what the audience hears. However, I definitely am planning to move to a different type of setup in the future, and this actually puts cash toward that now.

Option 2 may make more sense - give us a better monitoring situation on stage, and also improve the FOH in the process, however, the issue is that, cashwise, the jump to option 3 isn't that great...

Option 3 is, IMO, really sweet, because I'd send the same mix to the stage and the FOH, and it would be put through the same devices, which would give us a better idea what the audience hears.

I may do nothing. We have our first gig coming up where the EVs aren't even necessary...this will be the true test of how the L1 Compact fares. This is what I got it for, and if it's not workable there, then I'm definitely going to sell it and move in another direction...
I now have 5 K10's- 2 for FOH, 3 for stage monitoring. I've also added a Mackie 1801 sub to fill out the low end. In 20 years of gigging, I,ve never been as happy with my rig. Killer sound, easy to use, super portable. I also like that if one of my FOH monitors craps out, I can use a stage monitor in its place. When it comes to live sound, redundancy is good.

1943 Gibson J-45
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 08-16-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I now have 5 K10's- 2 for FOH, 3 for stage monitoring. I've also added a Mackie 1801 sub to fill out the low end. In 20 years of gigging, I,ve never been as happy with my rig. Killer sound, easy to use, super portable. I also like that if one of my FOH monitors craps out, I can use a stage monitor in its place. When it comes to live sound, redundancy is good.
That's a very good point - using the same thing for monitors and mains really affords you a uniquely great type of redundancy. I'm guessing with 3 monitors, you're a full band? Are you sending separate mixes to each? Just seems like having 50% more pointed toward you vs away is a lot, but if you're actually sending separate mixes, it makes sense.

What was it that pushed you toward the Mackie Sub over the KSub? I think having the built-in crossover allows for greater flexibility, if you wanted to use it with a non-QSC system, but since you seem dedicated to the K10s for everything else, and the low-pass/hi-pass of the Ksub/K10s is supposed to be perfectly matched... Just curious - I don't intend to add a sub.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Exactly. The dispersion and the size of the venues i'm playing was another factor for me in buying the K8. Also for me they fit in the bag that I wanted to get and fit in to the portable system model that I was trying to create. Can't go wrong with any of them I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The reason I bought my pair of QSC K10 speakers, as opposed to the QSC K8 model, was because they were only 5 lbs heavier per speaker, and only a bit bigger in size, while offering more bass response and max SPL output than the QSC K8. The QSC K12 would have added 14 lbs per speaker more weight and noticeably bigger size dimensions compared to the QSC K8. Also, the QSC K10 was only $50 per speaker more in cost over the K8, while the QSC K12 would have added $150 more per speaker over the K8. Thus, I figured the QSC K10 represented a logical compromise between the QSC K8 and QSC K12 and gave me the most bang for the buck for what I wanted in a QSC K Series speaker.

The only thing that is really diminished in going from a K8 to a K10 to a K12 is the narrowing of frequency dispersion as the size goes up: K8 = 105 degrees; K10 = 90 degrees, K12 = 75 degrees. This would mean, in theory, that a K8 would be better for a small venue in which the audience is very close to the performer, and a K12 would be best in a bigger venue with the audience stretching farther back from the stage. In practice, however, a K8, K10, and K12, would sound pretty much the same with a vocalist playing an acoustic guitar. A pair of any of these models should serve a performer well in small-to-medium-sized venues. For most of us, who want great portability with good full sound, a pair of QSC K8 or QSC K10 active speakers would be sufficient. If you're playing a really large venue, it's time to rent some big cabinets for the job or use the big in-house system that may already be available.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Old 08-16-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
That's a very good point - using the same thing for monitors and mains really affords you a uniquely great type of redundancy. I'm guessing with 3 monitors, you're a full band? Are you sending separate mixes to each? Just seems like having 50% more pointed toward you vs away is a lot, but if you're actually sending separate mixes, it makes sense.

What was it that pushed you toward the Mackie Sub over the KSub? I think having the built-in crossover allows for greater flexibility, if you wanted to use it with a non-QSC system, but since you seem dedicated to the K10s for everything else, and the low-pass/hi-pass of the Ksub/K10s is supposed to be perfectly matched... Just curious - I don't intend to add a sub.
It is for a full band. We have two K10's in front for the musicians, and one in the back for the drummer. I run two mixes; one for us, and one for him. We really need to hear the vocals up front, and he really needs to hear the instruments to keep time.
I picked the Mackie because I liked the specs and the prices. Same power, deeper extension, similar weight, 30% cheaper. It also has a built in crossover; the Mackie is at 125Hz instead of the 100Hz of the QSC. They sound great together.

1943 Gibson J-45
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
It is for a full band. We have two K10's in front for the musicians, and one in the back for the drummer. I run two mixes; one for us, and one for him. We really need to hear the vocals up front, and he really needs to hear the instruments to keep time.
I picked the Mackie because I liked the specs and the prices. Same power, deeper extension, similar weight, 30% cheaper. It also has a built in crossover; the Mackie is at 125Hz instead of the 100Hz of the QSC. They sound great together.
Ah - for some reason I thought the Mackie crossover was configurable...i.e. you dial in wherever you want it to be.

30%, eh? I thought they were about the same price... You got some sort of Mackie connectoin or something?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification