The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 AM

Question Any Aura Spectrum DI/Anthem users?

Just curious if anyone has tried this combination yet. The Element is a UST, but with the crossover between the saddle and the tru-mike, I wonder if it would be too much going on or not enough improvement to warrant the hassle. I have neither piece of equipment - thoughts anyone?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 AM

I'm doing that exact experiment tomorrow evening. Stay tuned!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:23 AM

I really, really wanted to like the Anthem and honestly the jury may still be out.

But when I hear someone after a week or two already trying to work in an Aura to the Anthem mix it makes one of my eyebrows raise. I would think if the Anthem is the ultimate bees knees adding more "stuff" to the equation wouldn't be warranted.

Just curious, horses for courses, YMMV and it's just my 2 cents
Old 08-10-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post

But when I hear someone after a week or two already trying to work in an Aura to the Anthem mix it makes one of my eyebrows raise. I would think if the Anthem is the ultimate bees knees adding more "stuff" to the equation wouldn't be warranted.
I agree with Joseph. It does give me some pause to learn that an Anthem user is already considering trying Aura sound imaging with it. I'd have an easier time with it if the intended processing was EQ, compression or reverb (effects typically used on miked guitar).

On the other hand, I still think that Mama Bear was helpful with the Baggs iMix and the K&K Pure Western mini. (I recorded part of my last CD with the mini-Pure/Mama Bear combo.) You just never know until you try it.

FWIW, I never could get the Aura Spectrum to work well with the PUTW I/O UST in my Taylor 314c. My suspicion is that there's just too much top ambience in the I/O sound. (I don't recall trying Mama Bear with the I/O. Perhaps I should give it a shot.)

Gary
Old 08-10-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I really, really wanted to like the Anthem and honestly the jury may still be out.

Just curious, horses for courses, YMMV and it's just my 2 cents
Oh, I still very much believe that the Anthem is the bee's knees! I'm just going to experiement with the Aura because:
1. I have the Spectrum, so why not?
2. A player friend in town asked me to try the combo out.
3. I always use a preamp/DI anyway.
4. I caught a Pete Huttlinger show this weekend, and he was getting super results with the Aura Spectrum, so it raised my curiosity level.

It's just a fun exercise. I doubt that I'll like it, due to the mic. But who knows?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:14 AM

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for clarifying. You had us a little worried.

With respect to Pete Huttlinger, its very likely that he has some version of the Fishman Matrix system in his guitar. That has been the case in the past. The use of the Spectrum would seem to indicate that its still the case.

Gary
Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Hi Jenn,

Thanks for clarifying. You had us a little worried.

With respect to Pete Huttlinger, its very likely that he has some version of the Fishman Matrix system in his guitar. That has been the case in the past. The use of the Spectrum would seem to indicate that its still the case.

Gary
Yep, probably true. He used to have an internal mic in his mix, so I asked him if he stopped using that due to Aura liking UST only, and the answer was yes.

Not only do I think that the Anthem is the bee's knees, I consider it to be the whole bee!

Jenn
Old 08-10-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post

Not only do I think that the Anthem is the bee's knees, I consider it to be the whole bee!

Jenn
To bee, or not to bee seems to "bee" the current question for many curious and/or dissatisfied (with current pickup) acoustic-electric guitar players.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:47 AM

I've been a "tweaker" since 1966. My main stage guitar is the older OMC-Aura (pre-spectrum DI) which I have tired with external mikes and a Sunrise soundhole pickup. I'm 60 now and play out a lot less and when I do I try to mike, no electronics will ever equal a high end external condensor, they can't they're in the wrong place. The sweet spot and culmination of all the guitars harmonics/overtones and nuances is outside the guitar, as I'm sure you know.

So, while I have no Anthem experiece here is my take on a Spectrum/Anthem system. David Wilcox has 4-6 source systems in his Olsons and Rainsongs, and he sounds fantastic. But, each source is tasked/EQ'd to a spefiic job and/or frequency response. They don't do the same things they do different things.

When I tried adding a Sunrise to my Aura there was too much overlap and I would suspect that would happen with a Spectrum and Anthem as both individually are intended to be "full range" and they will "butt heads" if you will. Unless you could figure out which specific components handle which frequecy ranges best, and indivually EQ the Aura UST, Aura image, Anthem pickup and Anthen mic I think you get a bit of sonic chaos and layering/overlap of frequencies.

Of course no harm in trying, and some folks like tweaking, but to me to make multi-source work you need to be able to assign frequency ranges to specific sources much like a crossover in a three way speaker. When I added the Sunrise (which is a super soundhole pickup) to my Aura I didn't have enough control to keep then from stepping on each other, the sound was very full from the "layering" but not very natural.

Good luck, never hurts to try................

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. It would be interesting to compare the anthem and the spectrum. I was set on the spectrum for a while, but all the raves about the Anthem have me thinking again...

I liked the idea of being able to use the Spectrum with any guitar and I lose that with the Anthem, but the Anthem sounds more plug and play - easy setup.

Thanks again for the responses
Old 08-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Default Pete H

Not to hi-jack..but Pete using the Spectrum is one of the reasons I checked it out and fell in love with it. I share very little in common or talent musically with Pete but his sound with the Spectrum is greatness and enough to convert the toughest of critics...Check this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reDAaFTQiEE

2004 Martin D41
2006 Guild D40

"The Future of Whistling"......Daniel Duncan
Old 08-10-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan121 View Post
Not to hi-jack..but Pete using the Spectrum is one of the reasons I checked it out and fell in love with it. I share very little in common or talent musically with Pete but his sound with the Spectrum is greatness and enough to convert the toughest of critics...Check this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reDAaFTQiEE
That was a fine evening of music.

In case you don't know, Pete had a pacemaker/defiblator implanted about 3 months ago. He is looking good, and playing well.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 AM

So far I am not getting satisfacory results from a Spectrum. I downloaded 6 specific downloads for my model guitar and still not happy so far.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
So far I am not getting satisfacory results from a Spectrum. I downloaded 6 specific downloads for my model guitar and still not happy so far.
There's always Prozac...
Old 08-11-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
There's always Prozac...
So my wife frequently tells me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification