The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-13-2018, 12:34 PM

Default Collings

Hi, I'd like to install a pickup in my Collings but it seems like they glue in the end pin. Does this complicate drilling it out? Any suggestions for removing the strap button in the end pin? Thanks
Old 08-13-2018, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer tunes View Post
Hi, I'd like to install a pickup in my Collings but it seems like they glue in the end pin. Does this complicate drilling it out? Any suggestions for removing the strap button in the end pin? Thanks
No problem. You can work it out slowly with no worries to damage the guitar and you’ll be drilling out a bigger hole anyway so it’s ok to fudge it a little. Go slow and you’ll be fine.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

It is indeed glued in. Mask off around it (or better yet, tape cardboard around it with a 1/2" hole fit over the end pin) and then saw off the end pin. Then it will be easier to drill out (vs. trying to drill through the pearl dot on the full pin)

Step bit / Unibit is a good way to open it up to 1/2" after you've drilled a pilot hole in the pin.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 08-13-2018, 01:28 PM

Location: From Upstate, SC...currently living/working in S. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW View Post
It is indeed glued in. Mask off around it (or better yet, tape cardboard around it with a 1/2" hole fit over the end pin) and then saw off the end pin. Then it will be easier to drill out (vs. trying to drill through the pearl dot on the full pin)

Step bit / Unibit is a good way to open it up to 1/2" after you've drilled a pilot hole in the pin.

^^^ This!!! Thanks Raymond.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair