The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2010, 11:44 AM

Default TC Electronics M-2000 or M-3000

Hello,
Is anyone using these with the chorus modulation parameter on the reverb tail only? How deep can the modulation effect get?
What is the difference in the two units regarding this parameter?

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Jim

Aloha Jim,

Looks like no one has used both of those great TC Electronics M-series FX units for live gigging here.

I compared the features of both units for a long time before deciding on the M2000. I thought that the 3000 would be overkill - and much more expensive -for my live apps, and it's not that different than the M2000.

Re: Chorus & the M2000 - You can make that tail so deep it would make you sick to your stomach to listen to it. As you know, the parameters and controls on both those units are exceptional & very detailed. So you really can dial in whatever you want in the several choruses available on that unit. I sometimes get totally lost in time when playing around with all the controls and choices I have with that unit.

Ironically, I use FX very sparingly, if at all for ANY application on vox and guitar. But the FX on those TC's are the best live FX available, IMO. I haven't heard better. And with 156 presets and ability to program your own 156 combos and save them to disc, it's more than most live acoustic players need! I have maybe a dozen combo's saved and am too lazy to save them to disc. It IS worth it at a gig on the fly however to save time.

I sometimes use a very light dose of #85, the Center Chorus, in combo with a Nice Hall reverb to good effect in stereo on slow Will Ackerman-style instrumentals. Not as deep as he plays it though. #86 is the Extreme Chorus - for that underwater, mid-70's kind of sound that was so popular then. You tweak that one and you better get some scuba gear or something, Jim.

For #85, I usually keep it at -1db on the input and -3 to -6 db on the output for my purposes. I keep the digital in at 0 db. But you really can tweak the tail to "unbearable" if you like.

The unit also only takes up one rack space and isn't very heavy. I got mine from an original owner in perfect condition for $350.

And that's alls I knows about that marvelous piece of equipment. I've heard that TC's M-series is a favorite of movie sound engineers & producers. I certainly can see why.

The M-2000 is pretty complicated at first. It's "button" controls are about 15 years out of date and some don't like those kinds of controls - tedious. I don't think it would be of interest to most gigging acoustic guitar players. But for those who get into it - it is a very good value indeed, with the best Live FX sound available. I have enjoyed mine and use it almost everytime I plug in. I have found ways to use its dual engine, stereo signals to help me control very bright rooms. The compression in particular can make me feel better about a "pavilion" type of bright room, even with the parametric EQ of the SPS-1 in tow. The M2000 is a real winner!

Hope that helps.

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 08-15-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:57 PM

Default Tc M-2000

Thanks Chris.
I very much appreciate your detail info on the M-2000.
What I am mainly interested in is how deep the Mod rate and depth parameter of the reverb algorithm goes. I don't use a chorus preset with the reverb, but instead use pitch modulation/chorus on the reverb tail only within the reverb preset with the mod feature.
I had the new Lexicon pcm 92 which was great but limited in this feature.
Wondering if you have or could check this out to see how much modulation can be applied.

P.S
I just sent Lou Hinkley a down payment for a W-803. If I dig it I will order another one. Looking forward to hearing it.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 08-16-2010, 06:59 AM

Jim,

There's a mod "rate" and mod "depth" parameter for modulating the reverb as you probably already know. On my 3000 it gets wobbly if you so choose but of course there is no "mix" modulation amount parameter. I'm not in front of it so I can't remember if there's a pre-delay for the chorus in reverb patches or not as that would obviously change the "apparent-ness" of the chorus. At any rate, the chorus amount on the verb is fixed (level wise) and sits very similarly to my Lex's.

My 3000 is my favorite verb for sure but I still like the Lexicon reverbs for chorused tails. Probably cause I learned on and used Lexicons for some years before TC became a force.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:34 PM

Default Tc M -3000

Thanks Joseph.
I pasted this below from the M-3000 Manual.

Width
(0% - 100%) Sets the width of the modulation.
Depth
(-50, default, +50) Allows you to offset the amount of space
modulation from the factory default.

There is a rate, width and depth parameter for the Space Mod Preset.
It says you can control the modulation amount with the depth.
Not sure to what degree though. Have you used the Space Mod preset?

Thanks again for your info

Jim
Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrg View Post
Thanks Joseph.
I pasted this below from the M-3000 Manual.

Width
(0% - 100%) Sets the width of the modulation.
Depth
(-50, default, +50) Allows you to offset the amount of space
modulation from the factory default.

There is a rate, width and depth parameter for the Space Mod Preset.
It says you can control the modulation amount with the depth.
Not sure to what degree though. Have you used the Space Mod preset?

Thanks again for your info

Jim
Hey Jim,

Hmmm. I dunno. I just checked with mine eyes and I have a rate and depth parameter in the reverb menu. It's not really sub categorized as modulation or chorus, just rate and depth.

Could be things have changed but not sure. And no sorry but I haven't jumped into the Space Mod parameters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification