The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-19-2018, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic Guitar Amp

Toying, just toying mind you, with the idea of buying an acoustic guitar amplifier, for various reasons.

The gold standard, from my reading here, seems to be the Fishman Loudbox, and I'm thinking in terms of the Loudbox Mini.

Due diligence requires that I make the 100+ mile trip to the nearest music store to actually play one, and I'll do that - but that doesn't negate the value of the opinions I might find here.

So what say ye: Loudbox Mini or something else?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Toying, just toying mind you, with the idea of buying an acoustic guitar amplifier, for various reasons.

The gold standard, from my reading here, seems to be the Fishman Loudbox, and I'm thinking in terms of the Loudbox Mini.

Due diligence requires that I make the 100+ mile trip to the nearest music store to actually play one, and I'll do that - but that doesn't negate the value of the opinions I might find here.

I think everyone is going to need to know what the reasons are before offering any specific advice. I will follow this thread because I might be interested in getting a small amp for home use, and I seem to remember hearing good things about the Loudbox Mini. Like you, I would have to drive a long way to find one to try.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post

I read so many glowing reviews on the Mini (especially regarding its ability to project good tone by itself in decent -size rooms) that I got one from Sweetwater. Sent it back the next day. Small, boxy, tinny tone. The vaunted DI Out sounds nothing like what you hear from the speaker, which for me in small venues with no FOH person renders it useless.

As a practice amp at low volume, I would like it. I found it useless otherwise. Bear in mind that I'm in the minority, but that's my honest opinion.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:57 AM

Guitar only?

Vocals + guitar?

Backing tracks / jam tracks + guitar?

Portability?

Effects?

Bang for the buck?

Good customer service from the company should the item malfunction?

Expandability?

Venue size?

All questions if we had the answers to, we may be able to offer better feedback.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:10 AM

Mini charge.

I just played a outdoor gig with a 16 piece big band.

Eastman acoustic archtop with clip on condenser microphone.

Power to spare.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:49 AM

Tone is about preference and is subjective. When I first got my Mini I liked it and used it quite a bit. Something was always missing though, tone was just short of satisfying. Probably because I'm 6'2", play and practice while standing and the Mini is usually on the floor. I much prefer PA speakers on a pole stand and a mixer, even low budget ones.

The Mini I have seems to be solidly built, reliable, light, easy to transport and well thought-out. It has it's place in my modular sound system, usually as a floor monitor.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 08-19-2018, 08:54 AM

All of my acoustics are dreads and they all have K&K Pure Mini pups installed.

I love the Fishman Loudbox amps and own a Mini and a Performer. For 99% of the gigs/open mics I play, the Mini provides everything I need.

These amps also take BOSS pedals very well. When gigging I prefer to use pedals vs the onboard effects (which sound great) because it's so much faster to stomp on a pedal between songs than to spin dials on the amp.

Get a Mini and you'll be glad you did!
Old 08-19-2018, 09:19 AM

When i did the diligence I too looked at
fishman products. The are orobably one of the
most prolific ones meaning you can find them
everywhere . I test drove all 3 of the loudbox
and thought the mini sounded the best .
and was least expensive .
I actually ended up buying an AER compact 60-3.
Glad i spent the money. The thing is stellar.
It reproduces every subtle nuance of my martin.
it is. joy to listen to. but it's 3 times the price.
Worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by varmonter; 08-19-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:48 AM

I had one for a while. I auditioned it beside an Artist and picked the Mini. Punchier, perceived louder output and decent sound. In actual use, some of the earlier comments re: weaknesses revealed to me to. First I play standing and I found that the tilt angle was insufficient. I had to put it in a chair to get close to being able to use it as a monitor. Pole mount is needed. Second, at gig volume, not rock loud but not coffee house quiet either, I cranked it and the output got a little too harsh and unnatural. Once heard, I could tell that sound character was part of the amps punch and volume for such a small size rig. And I kept hearing it even at lower volumes. So I sold it.

I went another way with amp and got something that works great but with a Fishman do over, I think I would give the Artist model a better shot. It seemed less hyped and while it might not seem as loud at given settings, I think when turned up it will be sweeter and more natural.

Looking for a small decent amp to use around the house where it never really gets pushed? The Mini is a good choice. But check the Artist too.

hunter
Old 08-19-2018, 10:35 AM

I bought a Mini a couple of years ago. I never gigged with it because I don't like the vocal sound as much as my SA 330 or QSC K10.2s, but it would do in a pinch, it's not that bad. I got it because the guitar sound is great to my ears through K&Ks in my Mossman or Baggs Element in my Gibson. Nice reverb and chorus. I got mine used for $200. in mint condition. I used it once jamming with some guys where I sang into their PA. Plenty loud and great guitar sound all for $329. retail. Put it on a chair, a table, or a stand of some kind and this amazing little amp projects. I'm still amazed at how loud it is for it's size!
Old 08-19-2018, 10:47 AM

I can’t say enough good things about Fishman. They are a great company and their customer service is phenomenal. I bought the Performer model as my thinking is more is better. In the long run if you find that the Mini doesn’t have enough power or features you have to sell it and buy another. The selling and buying process is costly and by investing in a little more money initially, such as buying an Artist model, you will probably be happier and save some money.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-19-2018, 11:01 AM

I've got 2. Agreed on the customer service, excellent. Buy from SW, they throw in a mic, stand and cable for same price!
Old 08-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies, there is some solid, real world experience info there that I can use.

For the curious, I never plan to use it as a stand alone PA but as a dedicated acoustic guitar amp. I was going to use it in addition to our two Bose L1Cs for our group gigs, and for playing in the back-up band at a local open mic, which I do on Saturdays when we have no gig.

As previously stated, just toying with the idea. I really do not want to cart anything else to our gigs. But if I do decide to pull the trigger, I will not do so blindly and won't let price or size be the over riding consideration.

Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:44 PM

For use with a PA, the xlr out of the mini is mic level, not line level. Just something to keep in mind. Also there is no line out. It is for me a huge outage, I would prefer both (like the AER's the Fenders, etc.)
Old 08-19-2018, 01:02 PM

Getting older and not playing in a regular group these days, I began a journey of looking for a small acoustic amp. I have a Yamaha PA that I have always plugged my 814 or T5 into, but now days mostly jamming out with friends once or twice a week, the PA is too much to lug around, especially by myself.

Last week a friend allowed me the opportunity to test drive his Fishman Artist with the 814. We all play seated at the jam and I had placed the amp on the table behind me. I was impressed with the ability I had to clearly hear my acoustic when the electric guitars started playing. I had a good tone as well with reverb and some chorus when I engaged it.

I had been reading on the forum as you have been. I feel that Noledog gave a very good overview of his personal experiences with Fishman, and the videos of him playing in live situations with the Performer model. Seeing the videos helps one, or at least me to understand just what is possible with the Fishman product.

With the above, I went ahead and ordered the Artist model. It arrive the other day just before I headed out the door to play at a church function. I only played solo and totally acoustically at that function. I was looking forward to trying the amp out Friday night at our jam, but it had to be canceled. I played at the house alone and tinkered with the settings. As one other has indicated before, the microphone part is not near as pleasing as the full PA, but in reality that is expected. One might add that my vocals are nowhere as good as many on the forum, such as Noledog. I am still tinkering. I did plug my T5 in and was please with the sound of it through the Artist. With that, I might plug the T5 into an ABY box I have boxed up and throw my Fender 65 Princeton into the mix.

I guess the bottom line is that we each have our likes and dislikes in our instruments and amplifiers. I believe the Artist will work for me in the smaller settings that I experience. I've yet to DI it out to the PA, but that will happen one day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification