The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 10:25 AM

Default Guitar doesn’t complement voice

I bought a second hand Taylor 114 as my guitar for alternate tunings. I really like it but for some reason I don’t like singing with it, only use it for instrumental stuff. It’s like it doesn’t complement my voice, I don’t feel myself being in quite as good tune as I do with my Martin. It may be something to do with having a deep baritone voice (bordering on bass). I’m sure if someone else heard it they probably wouldn’t notice though.

Is this unusual or does anyone else have guitars like this?

Old 12-12-2019, 10:28 AM

we tend to have the worse seat in the house when playing and singing while un-amp'd/un-mic'd

have others heard a comparison and commented with similar results?
Old 12-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
we tend to have the worse seat in the house when playing and singing while un-amp'd/un-mic'd

have others heard a comparison and commented with similar results?
No. I could do a quick recording for this thread if anyone is interested.

Edit: doh, I can’t, the Martin is getting some work done at the moment. Still interested if anyone else has this problem though.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:34 AM

I've seen this in this forum before, but really, I have no idea what it means to "complement" one's voice. I'll play any of my setlist songs with whatever guitar I happen to be holding at the time. Maybe I'll learn something here (or not).
Old 12-12-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I've seen this in this forum before, but really, I have no idea what it means to "complement" one's voice. I'll play any of my setlist songs with whatever guitar I happen to be holding at the time. Maybe I'll learn something here (or not).
Well to my own ear I just mean it doesn’t sound as good as my other guitar to my voice, but when played instrumentally I enjoy it. It’s like the notes that I sing mix better with the Martin.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Most likely you're just not used to what you're hearing. Give it a little time. If it doesn't settle in move on. Life's too short.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

The 114 and the 00015 should be two different sounding guitars, and I've got to wonder if your time with the Martin has melded your voice and the instrument. If so, you might to find another 00015 for alternate tunings...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I sing and play guitar and have a sense of what it is you are talking about. For example, I find that I do not like playing a song capoed too high up the neck because there is too much of a gap tonally between the alto of my voice and the higher sound of the treble strings. It fights rather than supports to my ear. And some songs that I sing, I like them better on a guitar that has a more pure, fundamental tone rather than a lot of overtones that can seem to fill up the same space as my vibrato. Of ocurse these things can be tamed and controlled as I become a better singer and player.

Many Taylor guitars in general have a voice that is biased towards the treble to my ears - at least the ones that I have played. So as you say, with your baritone voice the contrast is more noticeable than with the voice of your Martin which in general can be biased toward the bass.

You might try upping the gauge on the Taylor's high B and E strings, it might warm it up a bit and take the edge off of the contrast. Just something to try. Since you are in altered tunings, you might try New Meduim strings if you haven't already.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-12-2019, 10:49 AM

I have a deep voice and I dont like singing with my Taylor for strumming. I feel like I'm fighting it. Finger picking is nice to sing over tho.

Last edited by RalphH; 12-12-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I sing and play guitar and have a sense of what it is you are talking about. For example, I find that I do not like playing a song capoed too high up the neck because there is too much of a gap tonally between the alto of my voice and the higher sound of the treble strings. It fights rather than supports to my ear. And some songs that I sing, I like them better on a guitar that has a more pure, fundamental tone rather than a lot of overtones that can seem to fill up the same space as my vibrato. Of ocurse these things can be tamed and controlled as I become a better singer and player.

Many Taylor guitars in general have a voice that is biased towards the treble to my ears - at least the ones that I have played. So as you say, with your baritone voice the contrast is more noticeable than with the voice of your Martin which in general can be biased toward the bass.

You might try upping the gauge on the Taylor's high B and E strings, it might warm it up a bit and take the edge off of the contrast. Just something to try. Since you are in altered tunings, you might try New Meduim strings if you haven't already.

Best,
Jayne
Thanks for advice.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I haven't played a 114 in ages, if ever. But I have played a few of the lower end Taylors over the years. I always found them to be a bit "stringy" sounding when strummed, articulate, but not really blended as a strummer.

In contrast, the guitars that are typically considered quintessential singer songwriter guitars, like the J-45 and D35, are pretty well renowned for the roundness and fullness of their strumming tone, and how well the chords blend together.

I wonder if this is a bit of what you're hearing.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I haven't played a 114 in ages, if ever. But I have played a few of the lower end Taylors over the years. I always found them to be a bit "stringy" sounding when strummed, articulate, but not really blended as a strummer.

In contrast, the guitars that are typically considered quintessential singer songwriter guitars, like the J-45 and D35, are pretty well renowned for the roundness and fullness of their strumming tone, and how well the chords blend together.

I wonder if this is a bit of what you're hearing.
Yeah, I don’t really like it strummed. Fingerpicked it’s ok with vocals. It’s especially good for instrumental, hard fingerpicked blues I find.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

BTW, Neil, I just listened to a few of your tunes and you have a nice, strong voice and good playing style. Really enjoyed listening.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-12-2019, 11:10 AM

A lot of singers don't like to feel they're competing with their guitars. Taylors can tend to do that for those of us who are baritones, because they're bright where we are not. I notice that a lot of baritones tend to go with Gibson guitars, because they tend to accompany well and not fight the singer. You might want to try that line.

I am not, by the way, a Gibson owner. But I love to listen to them in the hands of a good singer. There's a good meld there for baritones.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Do you like the Martin in alt tuning?
How do you like the Taylor in standard tuning.
Perhaps you could try reversing the roles of the 2 guitars for a better sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion