The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 10:03 AM

Default Cheaper substitution for the Collings OM2H

So, I am a very big Robert Earl Keen fan, and his stage/main guitar is a Collings OM2H, which, if you know anything about acoustics, you'd know that that is an incredibly nice and expensive guitar (it's something like $3,500). I don't have that much money to , so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the OM2H. Any sugestions???
Old 12-12-2019, 10:04 AM

A used OM-21
Old 12-12-2019, 10:07 AM

Nothing does Collings like a Collings. I’d look used - here and on Reverb - and you could find one for around $2,500.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:08 AM

That is a much better price, but its still 1k maybe 1.5k out of my budget
Old 12-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Here's an om-21 for $1500.

https://www.ryansguitarexperience.co...CABEgJCIfD_BwE
Old 12-12-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Hi Jodi,

One thing that is important to remember is that just because one player makes a guitar sound a particular way doesn't mean that you will. I am a big Martin Simpson fan and one of his main guitars is a Sobell. I figured that if I got the same kind of guitar, I could get that same sound. But, I discovered that Martin has a strong attack and the Sobell's that Martin plays are constructed in a way that requires a pretty strong attack to maximize what they offer. When I had a chance to play a Sobell, it wasn't a good match for me.

I share all this to say that you could be really limiting your choices unnecessarily. Collings are fine guitars but there are other makers of OMs that fall within your budget - both new and used - that could still give you everything you want and need regardless of the name on the headstock. And, you can always save up for a Collings in the future.

My recommendation is to play as many OMs as you can get your hands on and see what your own hands and ears tell you. You will learn a lot and enjoy the journey. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
Nothing does Collings like a Collings. I’d look used - here and on Reverb - and you could find one for around $2,500.
An OM2H for 2500? Where? I've not seen one. The ones I've seen for sale were 3-4k.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
An OM2H for 2500? Where? I've not seen one. The ones I've seen for sale were 3-4k.
There is one on Reverb listed at $2,600 with a KK Trinity system. Listing prices are usually high. I suspect an offer at $2,500 gets it done on many of these standard used OM2Hs. The market is soft.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

How much cheaper?

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-12-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

I'd save a little more in that case. A Collings OM2H is one of the best guitars your can buy in my opinion. Traditional model being leaps ahead. Keep on saving and you'll have the guitar you want soon. Don't settle
Old 12-12-2019, 10:57 AM

Default Love my Collings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
I'd save a little more in that case. A Collings OM2H is one of the best guitars your can buy in my opinion. Traditional model being leaps ahead. Keep on saving and you'll have the guitar you want soon. Don't settle
Agreed - I was fortunate and picked up my Collings OM2HCA when a shop was going out of business and picked it up (new) for a ridiculously low price. It is my workhorse guitar, it sounds absolutely fabulous, and gets better with age. I have not played a traditional model version, so cannot speak to that. Also, mine does have the Adi top.

“Out of dialogue with others comes rhetoric. Out of dialogue with yourself comes poetry.”
Old 12-12-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Hi Jodi,

One thing that is important to remember is that just because one player makes a guitar sound a particular way doesn't mean that you will. I am a big Martin Simpson fan and one of his main guitars is a Sobell. I figured that if I got the same kind of guitar, I could get that same sound. But, I discovered that Martin has a strong attack and the Sobell's that Martin plays are constructed in a way that requires a pretty strong attack to maximize what they offer. When I had a chance to play a Sobell, it wasn't a good match for me.

I share all this to say that you could be really limiting your choices unnecessarily. Collings are fine guitars but there are other makers of OMs that fall within your budget - both new and used - that could still give you everything you want and need regardless of the name on the headstock. And, you can always save up for a Collings in the future.

My recommendation is to play as many OMs as you can get your hands on and see what your own hands and ears tell you. You will learn a lot and enjoy the journey. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Best,
Jayne
The *correct* response !, very good advice.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
A used OM-21
This. The only guitar anyone really needs.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Hi Jodi,

Best,
Jayne
This is great advice. I used to do the same thing, I'd fall in love with the guitar that my (current) favorite artist plays, then go play it and realize it just didn't work for me. My favorite musician also changes on a monthly basis which doesn't really help matters.

Anyway, like Jayne mentioned, you should try to figure out what guitar speaks to you. If it happens to be an OM2H, save up and don't settle. And while I would never encourage someone to be irresponsible with their spending, there are a lot of sites that offer 0% financing so you can afford an instrument that might normally be out of your price range.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:54 AM

I have been down this road, and it a Collings is what your ear and heart want, you won’t be happy with anything less.

That said, if it’s simply a good rosewood OM you want, the Om-21 and OM-28 are fantastic and much more reasonably priced used.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion