The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 08:15 PM

Default "Loudest" strings...

OK, I've got a Martin DX1AE, and while sounding great, it has the softest volume level of any acoustic I've ever had.. Totally will not "keep up" in acoustic jams.

I've tried Martin Lifespan SP 12-54's, D'Addario PB EJ16 12-53's, and Dunlop 80/20 Bronze 12-54's on this one, and I get nothin'... i.e. No real volume to speak of..

Others that have played it have made the same comment - sounds great but no volume.

In reading reviews on this one, I'm finding no other comments on the low volume issue that I am having..

(This is one of those deals where it sounded great in the store...)

Maybe this is just one of those "soft" sounding guitars, but any ideas for "louder" strings?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2019, 08:24 PM

I had two DX1 a 2001 and a 2004 and both were far from quiet...I only used medium p.b. strings. Martin Lifespan 7200, D'Addario EJ17/EXP17, Elixir nano p.b. med...There were as loud as any of my other Martins. I did convert both over to a Bone saddles since during those years, they were made with Micarta saddles. That change made a big difference in volume/tone/articulation.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclonegs2003 View Post
I had two DX1 a 2001 and a 2004 and both were far from quiet...I only used medium p.b. strings. Martin Lifespan 7200, D'Addario EJ17/EXP17, Elixir nano p.b. med...There were as loud as any of my other Martins. I did convert both over to a Bone saddles since during those years, they were made with Micarta saddles. That change made a big difference in volume/tone/articulation.
Thanks for the ideas. Yeah, I haven't heard any other complaints about the volume issue on these - I must have just gotten a "muffled" one...

I will try the Elixers and see if that helps.. Maybe a bone saddle is a good idea as well..
Old 12-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

DR rare’s Have nice volume in my experience.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 12-10-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
DR rare’s Have nice volume in my experience.
Thanks - Will try those out as well..
Old 12-10-2019, 08:31 PM

Bone saddle and bridge pins is a good suggestion.

Many have commented about Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings having good volume too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-10-2019, 08:31 PM

the loudest I have played are the Ernie Ball aluminum bronze strings.

but ---

the worst-sounding strings I have played are the Ernie Ball aluminum bronze strings.

John Pearse p.b.s are probably the second loudest but I think sound a lot better.

E

i
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 PM

Maybe it's time then to try the EB Aluminum Bronzes and see if I like the tone.. Worth a shot.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
Maybe it's time then to try the EB Aluminum Bronzes and see if I like the tone.. Worth a shot.
They certainly are loud. I took them to an acoustic jam and the banjos ran from my mighty guitar! Seriously the main problem was the G string seemed way out of kilter ... it was so loud that it made playing a lead break almost impossible. I've never had that in my 50 years of playing.

I just played the guitar today (weekly check for humidity) and the tone had mellowed a good deal but that G string still was out of whack.

As for the sound of the DX1 I also think the guitars sound muffled, like you are playing it with your mittens still on.

Maybe I got a bad set of ABs. I did buy a second set just because I was so impressed by the volume they offer.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-10-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
They certainly are loud. I took them to an acoustic jam and the banjos ran from my mighty guitar! Seriously the main problem was the G string seemed way out of kilter ... it was so loud that it made playing a lead break almost impossible. I've never had that in my 50 years of playing.

I just played the guitar today (weekly check for humidity) and the tone had mellowed a good deal but that G string still was out of whack.

As for the sound of the DX1 I also think the guitars sound muffled, like you are playing it with your mittens still on.

Maybe I got a bad set of ABs. I did buy a second set just because I was so impressed by the volume they offer.
Well, I will definitely give them a try then.

Yes, "muffled, like you are playing it with your mittens still on" is probably the right phrase for this one.. Ha!

I need to go find a few more and play them, and see if they are any louder..
Old 12-10-2019, 09:24 PM

While there may be a limit to how much you can increase the perceived volume of a guitar. Much of it is about increasing the resonance. And while you can't change the resonant properties of the guitar itself, you can find strings that increase the harmonics which can help. Also, SELECTIVE bridge pin replacements can also assist.

The strings I would suggest trying are DR Sunbeam 12's. The first time I put them on my D35, on two separate occasions I had people comment "that thing's loud!". FWIW, I subsequently tried Sunbeam 13's and the D35 just shut down. So gauge is important.

The most important string in the set for harmonics is the low E. Because it's low, it has the potential to generate the most overtones for kinetic effect. Something that I do, especially when an aging low E starts to lose its mojo is substituted a buffalo horn pin in that low E. That alone, with or without a string swap can add a little more to the sound. Sometimes full sets of buffalo horn pins work, but I haven't found that to be the case in any of my guitars. I do have one guitar that has 4 Buffalo and two ebony pins. Kind of a fluky thing that seem to work well in conjuction with John Pearse 12-56 PB's.

I did try the Martin Liquid Metal pins. They do produce a bit more volume but of all the guitars I tried them they were pretty meh on all of them... except one guitar (but really good on that one). They're expensive, so if you do want to try them make sure you can return them if they don't work out.

So, if you like the guitar and just want more out of it, test some strings and try some pins if it suits you.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-10-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
OK, I've got a Martin DX1AE, and while sounding great, it has the softest volume level of any acoustic I've ever had.. Totally will not "keep up" in acoustic jams.
I had an older Dx1 and it wasn't volume challenged. I recently played a new one and it sounded like it was stuffed full of socks.

I'll give it to you straight...

If you are looking for a meaningful volume change then it might be time to consider another guitar. Alvarez MD60BG comes to mind. Same price point as your Martin and it has a shocking dynamic range. I have some truly spectacular dreads and that Alvarez can keep up with any of them from a pure volume standpoint. Tone is a different story, but volume... that guitar punches way above its weight.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

+1 for what vindi said. DR Sunbeams are great strings. While gauge is important don't fall into the trap of thinking higher gauges are necessarily"louder". Check out this thread Fuller Sound with Lighter Strings - How Can that Be ? -- I was the original poster and got some great responses. Went from DR Sunbeam 12 to 11's with awesome results! Good luck!
Old 12-10-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Davis View Post
I had an older Dx1 and it wasn't volume challenged. I recently played a new one and it sounded like it was stuffed full of socks.

I'll give it to you straight...

If you are looking for a meaningful volume change then it might be time to consider another guitar. Alvarez MD60BG comes to mind. Same price point as your Martin and it has a shocking dynamic range. I have some truly spectacular dreads and that Alvarez can keep up with any of them from a pure volume standpoint. Tone is a different story, but volume... that guitar punches way above its weight.
Solid advice on that MD60BG...I wasn’t looking for a guitar, and never considered an Alvarez seriously. I heard someone playing one in the store early one day when I stopped in for some strings at lunch. That day my local sold three...that guy playing when I walked in wanted a new one from the back, I bought the demo we were passing around, and another patron had one sent over from another location. It does a heck of a D18 impersonation with Martin Authentics or Pearse PB on it.
But that Martin DX1 should be loud as heck! I would ensure those bridge pins are nice and tight...fitment of pins is as important as material to me. I’ll take plastic pins that fit well, versus elephant ivory that’s ill-fitting. Certainly you don’t have a loose brace around the bridge area?
Pull the saddle and ensure it’s not cracked below in the bridge slot where you can’t see it. Cracked plastic saddles don’t transfer vibrations well. Make sure it’s flush too and is fitting well in the slot. If the intonation is off, you won’t get the overtones and harmonics won’t be there which can be interpreted as overall volume.
Bummer man.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:43 PM

In my experience, general speaking I have found Monel strings seem louder than PB’s and 80/20’s. Erinyes Ball Paradigm PB’s also seem to bring more volume to the table. Usual disclaimers apply.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion