The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

5 year old thread!
Old 11-21-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
5 year old thread!
All good! That’s what happens when people are urged to «*use the search function*» and «*search is your friend.*»
Old 11-21-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Since this is a 5-year old thread, I will add that over the past five years, I have played a number of Santa Cruz guitars and find them to be excellent. Just like other brands, the guitars will vary from voice to voice and some will probably float your boat more than others. Santa Cruz is a very reputable brand with a strong following. I have several friends who play lovely examples of what Santa Cruz offers. I am especially fond of their OMs, their H models, and the fabulous Eric Skye model. Their Janis Ian Signature model is also a powerhouse of a guitar in a smaller package. Lots to explore and it is great to A/B them with like models from makers like Collings, Bourgeois, Huss & Dalton because you can learn a lot of what makes each maker unique.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

In California, SC guitars are more available- I have played several different varieties. The most remarkable one was a Redwood top sinker hog b/s I played in a shop in Salt Lake, it was really a joy to play and hear.
Is it better than a Martin? probably. Is it worth the 7k asking price?
Well, it certainly does not come close to the bass and output of a Martin J-40, which I think is probably closer to the Taylor 618 than a SC. Im not a huge fan of Dreads, so I put the SC above any dread-
Bottom line-
You can get a used High end Martin- A used Taylor 12 string, and a used Les Paul-
For the price of a SC- Try to beat those sound options with one guitar...
Old 11-21-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
All good! That’s what happens when people are urged to «*use the search function*» and «*search is your friend.*»
I thought it meant that using the search function meant you could get the information you needed without the need to bring back zombie threads.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:08 PM

I’ve been playing my Santa Cruz since the Summer of 1982. My first OM was a Santa Cruz. I traded a luthier built guitar for a Santa Cruz Firefly.

Yes. They are great.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:08 PM

Welcome first time poster "austintexas" you are exactly right about Santa Cruz guitars. "They're light as a feather, vibrant and alive, and like all really good guitars, they get better and better. They play in tune, stay in tune, and have wonderful intonation, tone and sustain" I would add now they're PLEKED as well. I have a couple of OM/PW's and they are wonderful in every way.

They are my go to when I'm not playing something else.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
JW, not to break the mood that the thread has sustained thus far, but my experience with Santa Cruz guitars is that some are great, some are not. They're all very well made, and there are no problems with fit and finish. But as with any all-solid wood guitars, the tone will vary from one example to another. I've played some I wanted to own, others that just made me shrug.
Like Wade, I've played several but none that moved me to consider it after 30 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
...I've been reading people's reviews on here and other sites about how great their SCGC guitars are. Are they really that great?
What you're reading are people's "opinions" on a specific guitar, or guitars, they've played. There is no guitar make, model or individual instrument that EVERYONE who plays it would agree that it is a keeper. You must check out and play as many as you can and then decide if that specific guitar is for you. I played many Bourgeois guitars before I found one I wanted to purchase. I've played dozens and purchased around 7 different Taylor guitars -and own none. They and I don't get along long term. That sentiment is not shared universally with all guitar player's experience.

Even playing one brand X guitar and not liking it doesn't mean that the brand is flawed or that one wouldn't like a different model of that brand. AS ALWAYS, playing is the key to buying a great guitar.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
5 year old thread!
Oh, hey! Hi there! I’m still playing the SCGC OM/PW I bought from you. I had one weird moment when I thought I might sell it. I’m glad I didn’t. I’ve put a lot of miles on it since I’ve had it. Cheers!
Old 11-21-2019, 01:51 PM

The Santa Cruz parabolic strings are my fav by miles. They sound amazing on every guitar I own.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:51 PM

Generally, yes. They are fantastic. Whether or not they are worth it to you is another question. The 1929 00 and 000 are the best guitars I have played to date. Perfect for my ear. The question really becomes would you rather have one Santa Cruz or two Martin Standards?
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 11-21-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I thought it meant that using the search function meant you could get the information you needed without the need to bring back zombie threads.
That would mean no new posting on most subjects, which doesn't seem the point of having a forum. Don't start a new thread! Don't bring back a zombie thread! Just....don't!

To your point though, message boards and forums aren't terribly logical things. But logic isn't why they exist, I don't think.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I’ve been playing my Santa Cruz since the Summer of 1982. My first OM was a Santa Cruz. I traded a luthier built guitar for a Santa Cruz Firefly.

Yes. They are great.
I've owned 10 guitars in my 72 years.....6 have been Santa Cruz. 2 Martin. 2 Yamaha.
My "will never sell" currents are 1 Martin and 4 Santa Cruz.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 11-21-2019, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

They are great guitars. I’ve never played one I didn’t think was great. I’ve played some that didn’t work for me, but I’ve thought they were all pretty special. I own 2 and one of them ranks among the very best guitars I’ve played. the other is just simply outstanding. It’s hard (and not fair) to compare SCGC instruments to any mass produced factory guitar. There’s just no comparison IMO. However they also do very well when they are stacked against the better know & respected small luthier & shop built guitars. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:57 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
5 year old thread!
It guitar terms, it's just opening up

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion