The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-13-2019, 07:55 AM

Note to others reading this thread:

If you have a Subaru - the music system, when you connect your flash drive/memory stick for music files reads the files in any folder on the drive alphabetically. If you want to hear your music in the original song order of the album (important when listening to a live recording), the song file names need to be updated to include the song order # (i.e 01, 02, etc). I used Foobar free software to do this, but it is a manual process with each album.

As to Windows 7 'end of life' - Win 7 will not die next year, there will just not be any further Microsoft support. My Win 7 computer (in my studio) has not been connected/updated for years. I did not want to update to Win 10 as I have a number of programs in it that will not operate in Win 10 (no updates/drivers).

USB 3.0 devices can use USB 2.0 computer ports, they just will be limited to 2.0 speed.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-13-2019, 08:41 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post

As to Windows 7 'end of life' - Win 7 will not die next year, there will just not be any further Microsoft support. My Win 7 computer (in my studio) has not been connected/updated for years. I did not want to update to Win 10 as I have a number of programs in it that will not operate in Win 10 (no updates/drivers).

USB 3.0 devices can use USB 2.0 computer ports, they just will be limited to 2.0 speed.
Good to know about Windows 7, and that was my understanding with 2.0/3.0 as well.

I'll be heading out to fight the masses and get my ext hard drive in a bit

Old 12-13-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Not a big deal here - I was mostly just curious about the way those new external hard drives work.
Any external USB based hard drive should just be plug and play. It's like a gigantic USB flash drive with a ton more storage space and you use it the same way. As others have recommended here I'd ALSO do a secondary (maybe even tertiary if it's that important of data) backup to either another external USB hard drive or to several flash drives.

Good luck. This isn't exactly computer programming. It's plug in, drag the files over and you're done.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:09 PM

I am facing similar dilemma with Windows. My laptop is now about 10 years old and I wanted to move to Win10 when it first came out but there was no support by the manufacturer (Lenovo) for the model and I would have lost some key functionality as graphics and other drivers would not work under Win10. So as the "end of life" is mainly about security updates I don't care much as I use the laptop mainly for MS Office programs and tax preparation. Everything else I do on the phone now, including music stuff. So I will only worry and reluctantly buy a new laptop if future tax software will not install under Win7 anymore.

As for USB 3, it is totally backward compatible with older USB, just that the older USB standard will determine the maximum data transfer rate possible. Are you plugging it directly into the computer or using a hub (which should be powered for multiple drives)? Sometimes it just helps to reboot the computer with the drive plugged in. If the drive works in Win7 it should be just the same in Win10.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I am facing similar dilemma with Windows. My laptop is now about 10 years old and I wanted to move to Win10 when it first came out but there was no support by the manufacturer (Lenovo) for the model and I would have lost some key functionality as graphics and other drivers would not work under Win10. So as the "end of life" is mainly about security updates I don't care much as I use the laptop mainly for MS Office programs and tax preparation. Everything else I do on the phone now, including music stuff. So I will only worry and reluctantly buy a new laptop if future tax software will not install under Win7 anymore.

As for USB 3, it is totally backward compatible with older USB, just that the older USB standard will determine the maximum data transfer rate possible. Are you plugging it directly into the computer or using a hub (which should be powered for multiple drives)? Sometimes it just helps to reboot the computer with the drive plugged in. If the drive works in Win7 it should be just the same in Win10.
We have some products and vendors that will not activate or license their software in end off life or considered insecure environments. Some stop support with the old OS because they are delivering performance or features they'll only get with the latest 64 bit operating systems and newer hardware.

Just today I got a trial license for new version a product I don't use a lot that is Mac and Windows where it won't work on the latest Mac OS and the nice guy in support said that will occur with Windows in the future because most of their customers want the performance and features they can only do with the newer operating system.

Even if you add $20 - $40 to the prices I'm getting buying at scale, there are very nice basic business desktop and laptop systems that make the move worth it. If you're sticking with Windows there is also conventional wisdom that the non-Microsoft Surface systems sold on Microsoft's own store are decent alternatives to their Surface line.

Finally, iPhone users should consider the handoff and continuity features now that so many popular programs share same code base with Windows.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:55 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Sometimes it just helps to reboot the computer with the drive plugged in. If the drive works in Win7 it should be just the same in Win10.
Yes - that was done - and Seagate tech support told me it wouldn't work normally with windows 10.....the drive is almost 10 years old now and originally was on an XP machine.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
The portable drives I'm seeing (the one linked) only appear to require 1 cable for power and transfer.

My Honda seems to have no problem "finding" the music. I have one Sandisk media player with 16 gigs, and two different flash drives I use in the car with 8 gigs each and they start playing right away, even though I've done nothing with the directories etc....in fact, they always start back up right where they left off.

I think I'll just get the ext drive I linked and give it a shot. I just hope it works with my Windows 7 machine (that would be just my luck!)
Portable hard drives do not use external power. External hard drives do. The one you linked is external, nor portable. Portable are around the same price (even double the size):

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HDTB4...6265540&sr=8-3

Also, you could just get a 32 or 64 GB flash drive instead of 4, 16 GB drives. 64 GB drives are around $20 or so.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s