The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2020, 06:22 PM

Nope, really dislike them.

I ordered some on accident a while back. I use them on my wife's guitar when her strings get old.

We call this win-win. I win by not using them on my guitars, and she wins because someone else changed the strings on hers.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-04-2020, 06:56 PM

I'm a fan of 80/20's for sure. I like the sound after they "go dead." I'm not a fan of bright sparkly strings. I used to use the Martin SP 80/20, but I found the Ernie Ball Earthwood type and they loose the sparkle really fast then stay nice and mellow sounding for a good long time.

Also, another big plus is 80/20's have less tension than PB. That helps me because I have my action set pretty high. PB's beat up my fingers.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
80/20's are all I use. Phosphor Bronze strings sound too harsh when new to my ear.

I think PB’s sound the best about a month in.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Elixir HD lights. The 1st and 2nd string are mediums 13 and 17. The 3rd is a 25, then its 32 42 and 53.
I'd not thought of trying HD's but that is quite a good idea.

I just went ahead and ordered a set; will see how it goes.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstar View Post
I have been using d'addarrio 80/20 bluegrass gauge on my Gibson Hummingbird for years and always heard that classic Hummingbird / Stones kind of tone with that set up. We have a phenomenal guitar shop near Atlanta called Righteous Guitars. The have the only PLEK machine from here to Nashville I think and I needed some fret work. They took the guitar in during the lockdown, did an amazing set up and I picked it up a week later. They asked me my string preference and I blurted out EJ16 because that's what most of my other guitars wear. Long story short the EJ16's don't sound as sweet on this particular guitar so the 80/20s will be going back on once I can find a set.

Horses for courses I guess.
If you're still around, what year is your Bird? My 86 J-30 sounds just like my old 74 Bird, and not like the new ones at all.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I am very very old, and I believe that I was playing before phos bronze strings came out.

As far as I remember, they were introduced as an improvement to 80/20s (which,back in the day were often corroded when brand new!)

Whilst I mostly use D'addario EJ16s and EJ17s, I have a preference for Dunlops PBs on Dobro and mando and like them on my Collings 0002h, but they are not always easy to get in the UK.

I recently ordered three packs but they sent me bronze strings in error. They refunded me, but had no PBs, and I had thee sets of strings that weren't my choice.
I tried one set on my Waterloo and found them trather dull sounding, and removed them yesterday after a few days, replacing them with my normal EJ16s.

Of course, I recognise that I might be "conditioned" by my familiarity, but I fail to see the attraction of 80/20s, so rather than simply rejecting them, I really like to hear from those who do prefer them, and why,

Thanks in advance,
I've tried medium bronze 80/20 Elixir Polyweb and they're less squeaky than PB Nanoweb. It works better with light touch too but not significant.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Andy, weren't you playing when catgut strings meant Saber tooth Tiger gut?

I have found that I often like 80/20s on Rosewood family-backed guitars, but PBs on anything else. I find that they help overcome any tendency toward a muddy low end and make the harmonic series more clear.
Yeah, that was when "man-cave" really meant Man cave!
Old 07-05-2020, 03:26 AM

I tend to like 80/20's on smaller bodied Mahogany topped guitars.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceM View Post
I'm a fan of 80/20's for sure. I like the sound after they "go dead." I'm not a fan of bright sparkly strings. I used to use the Martin SP 80/20, but I found the Ernie Ball Earthwood type and they loose the sparkle really fast then stay nice and mellow sounding for a good long time.
I seem to have ended up with Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20s as my fav on my Seagull Spruce. I have found the same thing - the strings settle in very fast and then stay mellow (but not 'dead') for a good while. I like the sound and can really 'work' the strings with a pick. I think it may be that its a guitar sound I'm just used to hearing? I expect a lot of those older bluegrass and Americana recordings would have been on guitars with 80/20s that had been well played in before the red light went on. I know from my bluegrass band days that our guitarists would only change their strings when they were bad enough for someone else in the band to complain about them!!!!!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

I had much the same experience the one time I tried 80/20s (keep in mind that I am new to playing acoustic guitar - only in my 3rd year now). I thought they were too bright for my Seagull S6 and quickly pulled them off.

However, my string carousel continues as I search for the One True String and I did recently pick up a set of Elixer 80/20s (thinking that with the coating they might be less bright) that I have yet to try.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 07-05-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I am very very old, and I believe that I was playing before phos bronze strings came out.

As far as I remember, they were introduced as an improvement to 80/20s (which,back in the day were often corroded when brand new!)

Whilst I mostly use D'addario EJ16s and EJ17s, I have a preference for Dunlops PBs on Dobro and mando and like them on my Collings 0002h, but they are not always easy to get in the UK.

I recently ordered three packs but they sent me bronze strings in error. They refunded me, but had no PBs, and I had thee sets of strings that weren't my choice.
I tried one set on my Waterloo and found them trather dull sounding, and removed them yesterday after a few days, replacing them with my normal EJ16s.

Of course, I recognise that I might be "conditioned" by my familiarity, but I fail to see the attraction of 80/20s, so rather than simply rejecting them, I really like to hear from those who do prefer them, and why,

Thanks in advance,
They're marketed as brighter than PB but the bright to dull drop-off curve is steep compared with PB. I started buying D'addario 85/15 because they were the cheapest (less than five quid) reliable set I could find. I like them for their comparative dullness and the fact that there is more parity in tone between a week old set and a day old set - I don't feel as guilty about leaving them on longer than I should. When I'm wearing PBs, I feel more inclined to change them when the zing goes.

To answer you question, I like them because of how they mellow out and because I'm drawn to the warm end of the spectrum but I couldn't tell the difference between a fresh set of either. In all honesty, I preferred it when the only choice of strings was between "some" and "none".
Old 07-05-2020, 09:01 AM

I have found that 80/20 strings sound best on my J45. The extra brightness
helps keep the lower tones from sounding muddy. I have pretty much been using JP 80/20s.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:37 AM

From my experience, 80/20 goes well with all mahogany, cedar top with mahogany also good possibility.
Froggy Bottom H-12 EIR / Adirondack
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Gold Tone baritone
Larrivee RS-4 Lacewood
Larrivee RS-4 Forum V (No.6)
Old 07-05-2020, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

I use them on guitars where I want just a little more brightness on the wound strings. They sound great to me. I use them on about half my guitars, I’d say. I often go back and forth.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

I use Martin SP 80/20 light strings on my Olson SJ and my Martin 000-28VS. Both of these guitars need a little boost in the trebles because they are both a little dark sounding, especially the Olson SJ. Martin makes the only 80/20 strings that I like. Every other manufacturer's 80/20 strings sound rather harsh to me.

On all my other acoustic guitars I use PB light strings, usually D'Addario EJ16, and on my old Martin D-35, which has gotten a little bright over it's 53-year life, I use John Pearse PB light.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion