The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2020, 12:23 PM

I have been using d'addarrio 80/20 bluegrass gauge on my Gibson Hummingbird for years and always heard that classic Hummingbird / Stones kind of tone with that set up. We have a phenomenal guitar shop near Atlanta called Righteous Guitars. The have the only PLEK machine from here to Nashville I think and I needed some fret work. They took the guitar in during the lockdown, did an amazing set up and I picked it up a week later. They asked me my string preference and I blurted out EJ16 because that's what most of my other guitars wear. Long story short the EJ16's don't sound as sweet on this particular guitar so the 80/20s will be going back on once I can find a set.

Horses for courses I guess.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:30 PM

Now departed Gibson Masterbuilt 80-20’s and Newtones on my two Gibbys.
I have fifteen sets of the Masterbuilts, probably last me a 18 months or so.
I can’t exactly describe why they sound better on my Gibson’s, they just seem to accentuate the inherent voicing.
I’ve got some Newtone 80-20 Roundcores too. Those are excellent strings. Thankfully they work very well also.
They do have a tendency to corrode quicker, but hey until they die, they work great for me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-04-2020, 12:42 PM

I'm kind of 50/50 on these 80/20s. They do deliver a little better bass and fundamentals, but then they get duller quicker. I still have several packs left, and I think I'll experiment with some of the less popular alloys before I return to PB. I'm talking about aluminum, Monels, and nickel bronze.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

I prefer 80/20 strings on most guitars, though I've had a few that just sound better with PB (monel too, for an occasional change of pace). Unlike most people, I don't find 80/20s to be especially bright, except for the first hour or so of playing time. On the contrary, I find 80/20s to offer a cleaner sound than PB, more fundamentals and fewer extraneous overtones, more "guitar" and less "string." Bear in mind that I much prefer guitars that offer string fundamentals and plenty of note separation. Different tastes and playing styles might be better suited to PB.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:42 PM

80/20's are all I use. Phosphor Bronze strings sound too harsh when new to my ear.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:29 PM

I've been working on getting familiar with a used Taylor K14ce (Koa) guitar I recently purchased.

I always heard these Koa guitars were very bright, but actually I find it harder than I thought to get notes on the higher strings to sound out properly. This is true both fingerstyle and with a pick. My previous "main" acoustic was a Martin OM which does very well with those type of notes notes. As expected the K14 does much better on the bass though.

Anyway I've been experimenting with strings to try and add a little more high string clarity. I believe the guitar had Elixir Phosphor Bronze strings on it but I tried replacing them with some Elixir 80/20's and it seems to have helped.

Do you have a suggestion of other strings that might do well for this situation?
Old 07-04-2020, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I've been working on getting familiar with a used Taylor K14ce (Koa) guitar I recently purchased.

I always heard these Koa guitars were very bright, but actually I find it harder than I thought to get notes on the higher strings to sound out properly. This is true both fingerstyle and with a pick. My previous "main" acoustic was a Martin OM which does very well with those type of notes notes. As expected the K14 does much better on the bass though.

Anyway I've been experimenting with strings to try and add a little more high string clarity. I believe the guitar had Elixir Phosphor Bronze strings on it but I tried replacing them with some Elixir 80/20's and it seems to have helped.

Do you have a suggestion of other strings that might do well for this situation?
Elixir HD lights. The 1st and 2nd string are mediums 13 and 17. The 3rd is a 25, then its 32 42 and 53.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:06 PM

EJ16's have been my string of choice for years, but just for kicks I tried EJ11's 80/20's, and my Gibson J-30 absolutely loves them, and a big added plus is their easier to fret and easier on my finger tips.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:32 PM

I will be using 80-20's in the near future. I mistakenly ordered them, twice. Both in Martin and D'Adarrio mediums, for my D1AT.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:55 PM

My modern voiced Furch Alpine/Cocobolo Grand Auditorium loves to have 80/20. The PB just made it sound meh when I got it. I get more responsiveness and bass response with the 80/20 to my ears.

I will say that D'Addario EXP 80/20 are some of my favorites, but the regular non-EXP D'Addario are only run of the mill imho.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:44 PM

I used to use PBs forever than I switched from Daddario PBs to Elixer nano 80/20 ... Now I go back and forth between PB and 80/20 , I find I like the Elixer nano hd lights either PB or 80/20. To me 80/20 is kind of the smiley face eq and PBs a tad more in your face sounding in the highs and mids. .
Old 07-04-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
My modern voiced Furch Alpine/Cocobolo Grand Auditorium loves to have 80/20. The PB just made it sound meh when I got it. I get more responsiveness and bass response with the 80/20 to my ears.

I will say that D'Addario EXP 80/20 are some of my favorites, but the regular non-EXP D'Addario are only run of the mill imho.
I just put these on and they are not bad at all. Must be the coating because the non-coated did not go well.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:16 PM

I like them ... but sadly I don't think they like me or my body chemistry.

It may be, however, not my fault as others have reported they did a quick death. I've always been told that the 80/20s just don't respond well to certain chemicals in a person's skin or perspiration and so they die soon. I know that they will sound great but in a few hours ... let alone days ... the ones I've used from several manufacturers, will all start to like six strands of spaghetti.

However, they seem to me louder and more responsive than phosphor bronze strings so I wouldn't mind using a cheaper set for a jam or maybe even a gig ... but I would have to realize that I would be probably forced to change them the next day or so.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 07-04-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
The more warm and fundamental a guitar is, the more I prefer 80/20’s and even Monels.
Interesting. Most folks on this forum would put 80/20s and Monels on the extreme opposite ends of the tonal spectrum.

To me, this just illustrates how so widely varied and subjective all of our string (and tonewood) impressions are.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:40 PM

I've been using 80/20 strings on my darker sounding acoustics, especially an Eastman E20D.

For my all-Koa Taylor K20C, I like Martin Retro Monels...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion