The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman E10OOS/v

Has anyone played this model? My hunt for a small 00-size blues box has turned in a different direction as I've heard that Eastman, while always good value, has really upped their game in the last couple of years. I'm particularly interested in the varnished finished 00 size short scale as I hear the tone is stellar. Has anyone played or better yet owned one? I'm not 100% sold on the fact that the guitar has some relicing, but I guess that goes part and parcel with the thin finish, and it doesn't look overly reliced. How do these compare with the non-varnished sunburst Eastman's?
Old 07-03-2020, 01:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

I *believe* you know how we feel on the subject...

Can't wait to hear of others' experiences!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 07-03-2020, 01:45 PM

Yes, I've tried out 2 different ones on 2 different occasions and was impressed both times. I almost took one home but I really need the big bass from the dread so I've given up on the idea of a more petite size for now.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolaguitar View Post
Yes, I've tried out 2 different ones on 2 different occasions and was impressed both times. I almost took one home but I really need the big bass from the dread so I've given up on the idea of a more petite size for now.
Me too. Played at least 3 or 4 and they were all great. It's definitely one of my favorite Eastman and in my point of view it is unbeatable for the money (if this the kind of guitar you are looking for: bluesy kind)
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 07-03-2020, 03:31 PM

I played one and thought it was great. I'd have bought it, but I really need a 1 3/4" nut for what I do. If you can deal with the narrower nut width, I think it's a great choice.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I played one and thought it was great. I'd have bought it, but I really need a 1 3/4" nut for what I do. If you can deal with the narrower nut width, I think it's a great choice.
^^^^This right here!^^^^

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-03-2020, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

I've only played the standard nitro version, but it was a few years ago and smaller guitars weren't on my radar at the time. But I own the E10SS/v, which is the varnish slope dread, and it's fantastic. Incredibly open and resonant with the thin finish, and the relic work is done very well (I originally bought it in spite of the relic work, not b/c of it). I'm sure the 00/v will have a similarly cool vibe.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:47 PM

I played this model several times in some shops over the last year or so. While I was there, the employees of said shop mentioned it was their favorite Eastman model, and a few of them owned one.

You’ll see it said here on AGF: they don’t sound like a Gibson or Martin or Taylor. They sound like an Eastman. And that’s just fine by me!

This model in particular keeps coming back to mind for me, which makes me think I might pick one up someday. They are really nice guitars, and Eastman’s build quality always impresses me.
2019 Ibanez AC340 OPN

Singer Songwriter: http://benjaminkrogh.bandcamp.com
Old 07-04-2020, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

Default E10 00ss/v

I owned one for a few months. Great tone and mojo. Very light and the relicing was done in good taste. The issue I had was the narrow nut 1.69" but also a fairly thin neck. If they ever make it with the necks that on their traditional series (1.75" with some more meat) I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. I have never played the dread size.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:14 AM

I recently acquired the sunburst ooss.

It has a "through saddle" which apparently is glued in because this type weakens the bridge I'm told. looks like the v version does too.

if adjustment is needed it has to be done from the top down. Not a big deal for a pro.

you can't (easily) remove the saddle, file/sand down the bottom and put it back in. I recently did this on another guitar so I kinda thought I could do it again but nooooo.

I knew none of this when I bought it (used) but if I had known at the time I might have passed.

Now that I'm over that minor disappointment - I am glad I bought it.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for responses, I remain intrigued with this model and am thinking seriously about pulling the trigger, will circle back and post pics if I follow through

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion