The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2007, 04:52 PM

Default My Bourgeois Vintage D

Well after spending months hunting for a HD28V or a D28 Marquis - this guitar appeared on eBay only an hour from where I live. Had never heard of Boureois until I read about them at a forum - so checked out the reviews. $ for $ was going to be much more achievable than a Marquis with similar spec. The bolt on neck thing worried me a bit but forum members advised I wouldn't be able to hear the difference. I've posted the pics at HC but thought you might like a look.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

congrats! looks like youv'e got a heck of a weekend ahead of you! that's a nice looking adi, and BOUREGOIS guitars are top notch

i hate it when sometimes old timer martin players look down on bolt on necks without rationality. and shame on martin for advertising dovetails as "superior" for years and years.

well congrats! don't play too late at night or you'll get it from your neighbors!
Old 09-14-2007, 05:14 PM

Congrats!

Dana knows how to make some great guitars! Bourgeois is right up there with Collings and Santa Cruz in the Pre-war dreads! I think you are going to be very happy with your new addition! My favorite guitar of all that I have owned was a Bourgeois Slope D, which unfortunately I recently had to sell! I would recommend Bourgeois to anyone looking for a vintage style instrument with a lively top! This is what Dana does best - making the tops sing!

The bolt-on neck has no effect on tone, and for what it's worth, Collings, Goodall, & lots of others also use bolt-on necks!

Enjoy it!
Old 09-14-2007, 05:20 PM

Boy, I really like that guitar, and as the others have said you did well picking up this one, I like Dana's guitars too.

Greg
Old 09-14-2007, 05:27 PM

Awesome!!!

Let us know if the bolt-on wrecks your weekend.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:01 PM

Thumbs up

Beautiful! Look at that top grain pattern!!!
Congrats!!!
Dave
Old 09-15-2007, 06:37 AM

Welcome to the Bourgeois club. These are fantastic guitars. Your Adi top looks a bit special - I like the bear claw. Dana does something to produce EI Rosewood that is visually vibrant and just sparkles. I don't know any other way to say it. Your's appears the same way. Congrats!

In addition to a Vintage D, I have a Country Boy DeLuxe. Also, a DB Jumbo being built... due in OCT/Nov. I didn't know Bourgeois had bolt-on necks until after I got my Vintage D. I bought it in a shop with plenty of Martins to compare it to (Wildwood Music). It simply sounded, played and looked better than anything I had played in a long, long time. 3 years later, I still have the same opinion.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:20 AM

Hi Rodger, I must confess I am no acoustic expert being an electric player most of the time. I have had a Takamine mini jumbo cutaway for a few years that i thought was OK till I played my friends 1966 Gibson J50 (mahogany) and understood that there is a big difference between guitars. I decided it was time to get one and started checking out the local shops- not a lot to pick from here. I tried Martin D28, HD28V, Gibson Hummingbird, J45 etc. I was impressed by the HD28V - then stumbled across the Martin Forum and started to learn about the differences in construction..
I figured if the upper models are all forward shifted, scalloped braces - there must be something going for that type of construction (eg HD28V, Marquis, D42, D45). Based on opinion the rosewood backs haev a brighter sound which is my preference.
Anyway I started stalking Martin HD28, HD28V and Marquis on web..then stumbled across the Bourgeois brand. Not a lot of reviews at harmony Central - but they all rated high. So I added a Standard D or Vintage D to my list.
Anyway midnight a week back the Vintage D appeared on eBay - the owner lived an hour's drive away...
I am very happy - with it - I love the bear claw..it has heaps all over but it differs depending on the light.
I got the guitar for $3000 Australian which is what you would pay for a D28 in the shops here..
As far as sound goes - it is strung with 11s at the moment - I think I will try 12s next - it has way more volume than my Taki, much more complexity of sound - bells and harmonics - which I love. When I play the Floyd Wish you were here intro - you could swear it is the same guitar...
Also sustain is incredible - the notes ring on.
I think it is a little bassy - hard strums a bit muddy...I think it is great for flat picking - don't know if it is a rhythm guitar...still getting used to it...
But I am in love!! It does not have bling - but I think it has a very understated look .. I wouldn't change anything..
Old 09-15-2007, 09:26 AM

Jedistar:

To truely get the best sound out of that guitar, you definitely want to go to at least .12's, but the dreads are really designed for .13's - especially with an Adi top! There will be a noticeable increase in volume and fullness. If you prefer a brighter sound, 80/20 strings are generally brighter sounding than the Phosphor Bronze composition.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:22 PM

I while back I started a lengthy post about my dislike for bear claw. My issue was just one mark that stood out and I thought it looked terrible.

The bear claw on that top on the other hand is AWESOME! It may have converted me to a bear claw lover.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion