The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 07:20 AM

Every D-18ge I played was a great guitar. Some needed minor things, some were amazing but I couldn’t handle the V neck. I had similar results with the HD-28LSv but they were less consistent guitar to guitar I played.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augfive View Post
Has anyone else played a Martin D18 GE( golden era) and been Amazed
at the tone, understated beauty and sheer power of this Dreadnaught!?
I was meeting a friend who sells / trades guitars to check out a Collings.
I asked if he had any other dreads And he said yeah I do have a 10-year-old Martin GE ,let me go get it. Barely a mark on it. I played the Collings d2H which was beautiful and mint, For 20 minutes and was about to buy it.
Played the Martin for 2 minutes and left with it. Been playing it for a few days and can’t get over how it sounds ; Its a beast!
Mine is a definite lifer. It’s been modified by Bryan Kimsey and it’s fantastic.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:42 PM

Definitely a wish list for me. Have the standard and may trade up some day if the stars align correctly. This NGD doesn't help my GAS. Congrats!

Old 07-03-2020, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
Mine is a definite lifer. It’s been modified by Bryan Kimsey and it’s fantastic.
Been thinking about sending my D-18 Sinker to Bryan for a "Kimseyfication"!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-03-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I have a custom shop guitar that is a GE but with a drop in saddle and performing artist neck. I had a standard GE for awhile but couldn't get along with the V neck. Loved the tone, but hated the neck. So, when I found a GE with the neck I like, I jumped on it. Great guitar, no doubt about it!
Old 07-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Id agree with that!

To think, the real flagship, cornerstone guitars of the Martin guitar company are probably the D-18 and the D-28–the most coveted examples of which all have adirondack spruce tops and forward-positioned scalloped bracing. Martin still offers the D-28 with these key ingredients, but the D-18GE was the last incarnation of that magic recipe on the style 18 side. Seems a travesty the company doesn’t make it or something like it any more.
D 18 Authentics, Torrified or not, aged or not. Had a friend that sold a used one for $3500, so they are obtainable. Generally thought of as better than a GE, but not by much. Another real sleeper and even more affordable are D 16s from pre '95, and the adi top D 16 Martin made for a couple of years.

So there are your nice dreads for three price levels. A word of warning though, if you like the dryer side of hog D 18s, an authentic could be too beautiful sounding for you, so try the one with the rear bracing.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-03-2020, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I have a custom shop guitar that is a GE but with a drop in saddle and performing artist neck. I had a standard GE for awhile but couldn't get along with the V neck. Loved the tone, but hated the neck. So, when I found a GE with the neck I like, I jumped on it. Great guitar, no doubt about it!
Yeah...Mark at Reno's was ordering those as well.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-03-2020, 05:59 PM

Fantastic! I would love to have a GE. Congrats and enjoy your D18 GE.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I own one in sunburst. I have not heard or played a mahogany guitar that I like better.
Nice! The sun bursts are even harder to find, keep it!!
Old 07-04-2020, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
D 18 Authentics, Torrified or not, aged or not. Had a friend that sold a used one for $3500, so they are obtainable. Generally thought of as better than a GE, but not by much. Another real sleeper and even more affordable are D 16s from pre '95, and the adi top D 16 Martin made for a couple of years.

So there are your nice dreads for three price levels. A word of warning though, if you like the dryer side of hog D 18s, an authentic could be too beautiful sounding for you, so try the one with the rear bracing.
Martin doesn’t currently produce a D-18 with an Adi and forward bracing—the signature recipe of their flagship model. Sure, they’re on the Used market. If I really want a doozy, I’ll get the D-1A. It’s depressing they’ve abandoned the magic D-18 formula though. But, at this price point, you really can’t beat a good D-18GE.

Last edited by zoopeda; 07-04-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:51 PM

I like my GE, but I sometimes miss my standard D-18, which had a more intimate tone.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 07-05-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Id agree with that!

To think, the real flagship, cornerstone guitars of the Martin guitar company are probably the D-18 and the D-28–the most coveted examples of which all have adirondack spruce tops and forward-positioned scalloped bracing. Martin still offers the D-28 with these key ingredients, but the D-18GE was the last incarnation of that magic recipe on the style 18 side. Seems a travesty the company doesn’t make it or something like it any more.
I agree; I read somewhere they wanted to streamline the model choices or something but doesn’t make sense. Even now when many are looking these on the used market ,shouldn’t they reissue it ?
Old 07-05-2020, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree; I read somewhere they wanted to streamline the model choices or something but doesn’t make sense. Even now when many are looking these on the used market ,shouldn’t they reissue it ?
The released the D-18 Modern Deluxe shortly after discontinuing the GE. I imagine between that and the D-18 Authentic 1939, they started competing with themselves. But torrified sitka over a synthetic bridgeplate just doesn't slice the mustard after you play the D-18GE--especially if you like that chunky neck. And the Authentic bracing is rear-shifted. Long live the D-18GE!
Old 07-05-2020, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Martin doesn’t currently produce a D-18 with an Adi and forward bracing—the signature recipe of their flagship model. Sure, they’re on the Used market. If I really want a doozy, I’ll get the D-1A. It’s depressing they’ve abandoned the magic D-18 formula though. But, at this price point, you really can’t beat a good D-18GE.
Still available via custom shop but yes, I agree, that should be a stock model.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Has anyone else played a Martin D18 GE( golden era) and been Amazed
at the tone, understated beauty and sheer power of this Dreadnaught!?
I was meeting a friend who sells / trades guitars to check out a Collings.
I asked if he had any other dreads And he said yeah I do have a 10-year-old Martin GE ,let me go get it. Barely a mark on it. I played the Collings d2H which was beautiful and mint, For 20 minutes and was about to buy it.
Played the Martin for 2 minutes and left with it. Been playing it for a few days and can’t get over how it sounds ; Its a beast!
Key word in your first sentence as it relates to guitar buyers’ success is the word “played”. You can’t evaluate a guitar purchase (A vs B) from a video, what another person reports, or a consensus of the opinion of a group. The only way is to put hands on, and play it.

You got the “right” guitar because you did it the right way. Congrats!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion