The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2010, 06:13 PM

Default mediums easier to tune

I've noticed over the years that medium gauge strings are easier to get in tune, and seem to stay in tune better than light gauge.

I can't come up with a good reason. More mass maybe, more tension?

Whatever the reason, when I am tired or worn out from work, I like to pick up a guitar with medium strings, give it a little tweak and start playing. I don't want to fine tune a guitar with light gauge, and no matter how tired I am, I can't stand to have a guitar not to my standards ( my ear) YMMV

So why are mediums gauge strings more stable ( that is if you agree).
Old 04-20-2010, 06:30 PM

To me it's more about the tuners.. with the original taylor tuners, I'd have to spend a min or so to tune it up... After switching to gotohs I've rarely had to tune it up, only if I've moved around with it in the case.
Both seasons I've used mediums.

Saying that my old 410 with the old tuners don't stay in tune v well.. W meds or lights
Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 PM

Oh they sure are! They are tuned to a higher tension and that means that any amount of deviation from the correct tension is a smaller proportion of the total amount.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:48 PM

Good points about strings and tuners. I never thought about tuner slippage but I suppose I've experienced it obliviously. I am a rather experienced obliviate. As far as mediums vs lighter gauges, I think it's a combo platter. Humidity changes do much to destabilize tuning, insofar as I've noticed, aside from gauges and tuners. I have noticed that much as well as tonal variances wavering with the RH.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

I notice changes in tuning due to temperature. My guitars are stored in a cooler room and if I bring them out where there is more heat, they start going very slightly sharp. It doesn't matter whether the strings are light or medium.

There could be something to the suggestion that mediums are more stable, but I've never observed this. Some stuff just goes wizzing over my head, however...

Regards, Glenn
Old 04-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Have 3 guitars with basically same Waverly tuners using Lights, Light/Mediums, and Mediums. Have not noticed any difference in terms of tuning or staying in tune among the three.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 PM

Mediums stay in tune better because they're the first choice of people with good mental health. The guitar owner is stable, so the strings follow his lead and don't get all upset at any little obstacle that comes along.

Light gauge strings, on the other hand, are the first choice of quiveringly sensitive artistic types, who do stuff like set themselves on fire or slice off an ear and mail it to a girlfriend for no good reason at all.

Naturally, this makes the light gauge strings nervous and insecure, because WHO KNOWS?!? what that crazy dingbat might do next, and so as a result they're deeply neurotic and fearful. Staying in tune is a low priority under such circumstances, as you might expect.

Hope this helps!

Wade Hampton "Yeah, I'm A Medium Gauge String Guy!" Miller
Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 PM

and all of my steel strings have lights on them.

-r
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Have 3 guitars with basically same Waverly tuners using Lights, Light/Mediums, and Mediums. Have not noticed any difference in terms of tuning or staying in tune among the three.
Hi hhp…
I agree. Staying in tune is not a result of the weight of strings (or brand)...

But people who advocate particular brands or weights have to 'sing the virtues' of them so as to convince others...or so it seems.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM

Wade, that is hilarious!!

LJ, all I am saying is that if something moves on the guitar that effects string tension by X amount, light strings will be moved more out of tune than mediums will.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Leabow View Post
Wade, that is hilarious!!

LJ, all I am saying is that if something moves on the guitar that effects string tension by X amount, light strings will be moved more out of tune than mediums will.
Hi LL…
Why?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion