The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-27-2019, 03:02 AM

Smile Any tennis fans here? :)

Hi there. Anyone following Roland Garos? Who’s your pick to win? Who’s your favourite? For me, favourite is Roger Federer. But don’t think clay is his forte. Nadal is my pick to win!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-27-2019, 04:09 AM

Not anymore, canceled all sports except soccer an cricket.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 AM

Nadal has won it 11 times. To pick anyone else would not be wise!

Last edited by Mdinterman; 05-27-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:49 AM

I’m a former high caliber tennis player, quit the game over 30 years ago (no need to get into details, let’s just say I just quit), haven’t held a tennis racquet since. Huge fan of Federer, with Nadal a close second.
The French belongs to Nadal, he owns clay. I really can’t see anyone (maybe Delpo) giving Nadal a good fight
Old 05-27-2019, 08:05 AM

My first reaction to the Name was this fellow -

https://www.france24.com/en/20150605...ch-open-fokker

But, nope, if he played any game it was one of a bit more risk.

I like tennis and play it when I can. The heat here in Florida will render it to more of a volley practice than game, though. I don't watch pro tennis. I lost touch with all pro sports right around 1970.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:37 AM

Was a huge fan and club level player. But lost interest over the years and sup became my sport. When I was younger it was difficult to find an empty court. Today they sit quietly. Our local club just converted courts to event space and fitness facilities leaving just a few courts. I think tennis is going the way of all life cycles and is heading down the bell curve.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-31-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Was a huge fan and club level player. But lost interest over the years and sup became my sport. When I was younger it was difficult to find an empty court. Today they sit quietly. Our local club just converted courts to event space and fitness facilities leaving just a few courts. I think tennis is going the way of all life cycles and is heading down the bell curve.
What is sup?

Tennis is still very popular as far as I can tell. I know many who play and still play?

Why do you think it's not?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-31-2019, 01:42 PM

I play almost every other day. When I’m not playing, I’m watching the Tennis Channel.
Tennis is alive and well.

I turned 64 in March. Still play USTA 4.0 singles. No doubles. For the first time in my life the last 2 years I’ve had the following tennis induced injuries. Tendon issues with both ankles, tendinitis in both knees, and a slight hamstring pull. So, I just got home. Played an hour and a half. Ankle braces on both ankles, both knees wrapped, and my left hamstring wrapped.

Love it!!
Old 05-31-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I would have to agree with you on the life cycles comment, in the US, at least. When Venus and Serena retire (probably in the next couple of years) there won’t be any great US Players. Certainly the Men’s side has nothing and hasn’t had anything for quite a while. Women’s, maybe Sloane Stephens. The comment about the courts being empty in the US, that’s been the case for years. Hence the dried up professional pipeline.

Also, look at college rosters. The majority of players are from overseas.

Tennis is still a great sport but it just isn’t popular in the US.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:49 PM

I was a big tennis fan back in the 70's and early 80's and was even invited to try out for my college team after the tennis coach saw me playing recreationally in PE class (small school). But I lost interest in watching on TV when all the female players starting grunting on every ground stroke like some kind of wounded buffalo in labor. I still watch portions of the occasional men's matches on rare occasion, like the Wimbledon finals.

Tennis became history for me when my Achilles tendon started separating. That and my knees also eventually forced me to give us karate after many years.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

I was a fan back in the days of Connors, Borg, and Chrissie Evert. Lost interest when they retired. Couldn't stand McEnroe.

I had a huge crush on Chrissie, and got to talk to her for a few minutes one day at Heathrow. She was really nice, and even better looking in person.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:44 AM

2-3 times per week as long as it doesn’t interfere with Friday golf. Federer is now out and will probably retire after this season. Even if Djokovic pulls out the delayed semi, Nadal is much stronger on clay than he. As for the women, two very young players could go either way.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:08 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I play almost every other day. When I’m not playing, I’m watching the Tennis Channel.
Tennis is alive and well.

I turned 64 in March. Still play USTA 4.0 singles. No doubles. For the first time in my life the last 2 years I’ve had the following tennis induced injuries. Tendon issues with both ankles, tendinitis in both knees, and a slight hamstring pull. So, I just got home. Played an hour and a half. Ankle braces on both ankles, both knees wrapped, and my left hamstring wrapped.

Love it!!
Maybe it’s time to switch to pickleball, horse!
Old 06-08-2019, 10:47 AM

Robj

SUP is stand up paddleboarding, which is very popular and growing. Added benefits of good looking women out on the water with you. Very social. Once in awhile a nice lady asks me for advice or how to tips or a lesson. Works where I live or on lakes or slow moving rivers or stream.

My opinion is based on driving by public courts sitting empty even on weekends,. TV ratings for even major opens is down from just 10 years ago. Our local club announced it could not continue as is and converted several courts to event space and fitness center. As has been noted aside from the Williams sisters the US has no super stars in the game. It just seems to me that tennis peaked and is now slowly declining.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

Last edited by Tahitijack; 06-08-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Robj

SUP is stand up paddleboarding, which is very popular and growing. Added benefits of good looking women out on the water with you. Very social. Once in awhile a nice lady asks me for advice or how to tips or a lesson. Works where I live or on lakes or slow moving rivers or stream.

My opinion is based on driving by public courts sitting empty even on weekends,. TV ratings for even major opens is down from just 10 years ago. Our local club announced it could not continue as is and converted several courts to event space and fitness center. As has been noted aside from the Williams sisters the US has no super stars in the game. It just seems to me that tennis peaked and is now slowly declining.
Is SUP a sport or an exercise?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC