The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:53 PM

Norm.....hope it sounds and plays as good as it looks
Old 08-27-2015, 10:26 PM

No particular reason.

It's cause I work from a 14 fret template and make adjustments. Sometimes the soundhole moves sometimes not. I've noticed that it has zero bearing on the sound of the guitar. One day I will make a dedicated 13 fret template...
Old 08-27-2015, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
No particular reason.

It's cause I work from a 14 fret template and make adjustments. Sometimes the soundhole moves sometimes not. I've noticed that it has zero bearing on the sound of the guitar. One day I will make a dedicated 13 fret template...
This is one that is tempting me for #2 in some spruce/RW combo. But I'm a bit surprised because I've read so much about the placement/spacing of things being so influential on the tone, especially in regard to 12-fretters and the NL 13-frets. But I guess that is the bridge placement that is so influential, not the sound hole? Still surprised it doesn't make much difference because moving the picking hand around the hole can really adjust tone ... but that's probably also a function of distance from the bridge?

Ed, any other shapes in your options that offer a smaller body, but with depth like the NL? Like a deep body OM? My NL is pretty balanced but it totally has that old Gibson smaller boxy sound in some positions, though I can adjust it somewhat.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 08-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
No particular reason.

Sent you an email.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:55 AM

Moving your hand in relationship to the bridge is is what makes the difference, as you're hitting the stringin a different place.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:57 AM

PJ, I thought you had an OM?
Old 08-28-2015, 06:19 PM

I sense a disturbance in the force.

Last edited by Gasworker; 08-28-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:42 PM

different shapes, different sounds. the NL is a Gibson shape so it is going to have a small body Gibson sound no matter how deep you make it. martin shape is going to...well you know. A deep body OM would deepen the sound but why? Maybe you have a purpose for that but the OM has its purpose which it accomplishes very well. there are some that think hole placement makes a dif but Ed has given you his almost scientific experience with it. No dif. big dif where the bridge is, what it weights, where the bracing is underneath it, how tall it is, yes its a major tuner.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
PJ, I thought you had an OM?
My Halcyon is a Lutz/Primavera OM. I have a SC NL -- these two battle in my head for #1 spot:-). You had recommended the NL or OM, and did. build me an OM and later I bought an older H13. I am wondering what that would sound like with a torrefied Lutz top over rosewood:-)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 08-28-2015, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
different shapes, different sounds. the NL is a Gibson shape so it is going to have a small body Gibson sound no matter how deep you make it. martin shape is going to...well you know. A deep body OM would deepen the sound but why? Maybe you have a purpose for that but the OM has its purpose which it accomplishes very well. there are some that think hole placement makes a dif but Ed has given you his almost scientific experience with it. No dif. big dif where the bridge is, what it weights, where the bracing is underneath it, how tall it is, yes its a major tuner.
A NL deeper body seems a lot bolder than the other Gibson L-x's and replicas I've tried (admittedly not that many, but Ed's suggestion got me trying them) though you're right that it has that little bluesy box attitude going on somewhat. However it depends on how you play it, and I actually have to play a single guitar for a while to get full control. Likewise, a deep OM beefs up the lowend tone. Play a SC OM Grand (priced out on Pluto) or similarly crazy priced Collings deep body ... Not sure if Martin makes one, but these played a lot my buddy's J-40, one of my favorite Martins.

And Ed, after indulging in some more expensive guitars, I am just more attached to my H OM. Halcyon obviously forgoes the bling, which I prefer. As to my questions, there is a method to my madness. Played my Halcyon for almost 2 hours tonight with a bunch of people singing campfire style, and it was a blast! First time a couple player friends played it, one wouldn't stop (fine because she's much better than me) ... her comment handing it back was that you should get a dealer around here!

Last edited by pjroberts; 08-28-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:33 AM

Hi PJ,

Glad that the universe is back in order, knowing that your Halcyon is indeed an OM.

Coincidentally, we have a run of NL-00's going through in different wood combos.

Sitka/Rosewood
Lutz/ Rosewood
Lutz/Rosewood
Torrefied Lutz/Rosewood
Torrefied Lutz/walnut

I'm going to try to make short vid clips of each. We'll see what transpires in reality.

However, it is possible to make pretty much all of the small bodied guitars deeper for more whumf.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:15 AM

Just put down a deposit on a Halcyon NL-00, Lutz Top, Black Walnut B/S, Ebony Fingerboard, 1 3/4" nut. It will be fun to follow the process. Hope to get it next Spring! I put this on a separate thread, but I thought I would share it with you Halcyon Folks!
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 09-11-2015, 10:57 AM

Welcome to the family brother. I'm fired up because I think my build should get started in a month or less( although I don't have confirmation on that from Ed).

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 09-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal View Post
Just put down a deposit on a Halcyon NL-00, Lutz Top, Black Walnut B/S, Ebony Fingerboard, 1 3/4" nut. It will be fun to follow the process. Hope to get it next Spring! I put this on a separate thread, but I thought I would share it with you Halcyon Folks!
Good choice! My Sitka/Rosewood NL-00 is currently out for delivery. I should have it in my possession shortly.

Last edited by Norml; 09-11-2015 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norml View Post
Good choice! My Sitka/Rosewood NL-00 is currently out for delivery. I should have it in my possession shortly.
Very cool!
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop