The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-01-2012, 08:28 PM

Default Overwhelmed - Tim McMorris question

I know the chords to this song, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what he is doing to play it. In the video there is a quick clip of him an it appears he is playing the bass string with his thumb and using the IMA fingers to hit the top three strings at the same time. But when I do that, I don't get near the same sound out of the guitar. And yes I am using the capo on the 4th fret.

If anyone has experience with this song any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper76 View Post
I know the chords to this song, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what he is doing to play it. In the video there is a quick clip of him an it appears he is playing the bass string with his thumb and using the IMA fingers to hit the top three strings at the same time. But when I do that, I don't get near the same sound out of the guitar. And yes I am using the capo on the 4th fret.

If anyone has experience with this song any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi chomper...

And what song would that be?

<EDIT>Ok I looked it up on YouTube and I'm assuming you're listening to and referring to the official version.

He's playing in Key of B, Capoed 4 and playing in Key of G relative to the capo. And his pattern is Thumb-pluck Thumb-pluck Thumb-pluck (sometimes Thumb-strum Thumb-strum Thumb-strum).

On the 1st verse opening section he's thumbing the bass and only plucking index and middle on strings 3-4. He begins adding string 2 as it progresses, and by the time he's built the chorus he's sometimes playing strings 2-3-4. Then he reverts to the simpler sound, and then builds the chords up to the chorus by thumbing the bass and plucking strings 1-2-3.

It's actually pretty simple. The style he's playing is very abbreviated, which is a nice simple sound.

Hope this helps...

<EDIT>

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 11-01-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 PM

The song is actually also called Overwhelmed. Lol
Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper76 View Post
The song is actually also called Overwhelmed. Lol
I had that figured out...check out my EDIT section on the post before this one...and tell me if it helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-02-2012, 12:32 AM

Thank you! I've spent hours stumped over this trying to figure it out. I've only been playing for a few months, but I hope many years down the road that I develop an ear as good as yours.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 AM

Just wanted to reiterate my gratitude. I didn't get a chance to try out your suggestions last night. But I poked up my guitar this morning and I am now able to reproduce the guitar from the video. Thank you for your help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write