The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 PM

I think that you should look into getting a new teacher or tell this teacher exactly what you want out of your lessons. Maybe you could ask hime to give you something to work on until your next lesson.

A half hour lesson is plenty for me, but I also have an amazing teacher. At the beginning of the lesson, I play for him the stuff that had been assigned as "homework" the past week. He'll help me correct any problems I had with that. Then, he'll usually teach me a new scale, and we'll pick a song off my ipod for me to learn. He'll write the chords/rhythm down, and leave me to practice that for the next week. He constantly reminds me to play my old tunes as well.

I am only at the start of my lessons so I'm really excited to see how he teaches more advanced things.

Seriously though, you're clearly unhappy with your lessons and you're learning more from a book than you are from your teacher. I would just go to the other 2 lessons that you paid for and see if things improve once you tell him exactly what you're looking for in your lessons. If things don't improve, I would find another teacher.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osweetmelody View Post
Lesson packages tend to be cheaper, but... I've never been in a situation where I couldn't purchase just a single lesson (even if it is slightly more expensive)

mr. beaumont, I understand what you are saying, and I mean no disrespect. Teaching is a tough business, and students flake out too often, so I completely understand your point of view.

No offense taken.

Lesson packages (paying in blocks) is pretty much the standard around here. Big city, more flakes, I guess!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-12-2010, 06:52 AM

bousti ..

Your teacher sounds like a good one.

My teacher listens to the music I have been playing in
my old book. Says "keep it up" ..

The more I think about this, the more ridiculous it gets.

I'd think the teacher would hand me a piece of music,
point out the chords, notes, time, key, .. blah blah..
Tell me to practice this piece all week, come in prepared
to play the music.. go on to the next page.

Oh .. well.. two more lessons.. and I will be off and
running..

I'm not all that disappointed. I've learned what I want,
and if I take any more lessons, I will be asking for
just that.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 AM

jasper, will you please at least try to do what we're telling you? Don't wait for a teacher to read your mind. Learning fundamentals are not goals--you're gonna have to do all that anyway to reach your goals.

I'm sorry to come off as harsh now, but you're doing nothing to help this teacher help you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write