The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-05-2010, 02:30 PM

I guess another issue is: do you use/write on both sides of the sheet? With the plastic inserts, it seems like it would be a pretty easy thing to do. But then there is the added plastic.

I just went through my attic the other day and I have volumes of this stuff. I don't even know what I have. I'm pretty sure I have several copies of the same song in different notebooks. Loose leaf sheet music/lyrics, too.

I don't even want to take any of this on stage.
I just want to be able to find what I have so I don't end up re-doing the same songs!

(Maybe I should just throw it all back in the attic and not sing!)
Old 10-05-2010, 02:44 PM

I grab most of my chord charts from this site:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com
Old 10-05-2010, 03:44 PM

Definitely what Roger said ... it's not about reading the words. The reason I'm doing the song in the first place is because I generally like it.

I tend to have a hard time with the first line, or make sure I'm sining the right verse at the right time and not skipping ahead a verse.

Only about 5,239,452,678 things are going through my head when I'm up there, and I tend to get a lost in a the moment a bit.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:44 PM

I would never read off a sheet or out of a binder during a gig. I have started a binder with plastic sleeves just to keep track of songs, keep them organized, and practice at home. Once at the gig, though, I'm flying without a net. It is so much more dynamic to be able to look around, make eye contact with people, etc. As an audience member, nothing says "hobbyist" to me more than a music stand or binder.

It is my theory that most people who use cheat sheets at gigs or at jams use them as an excuse not to have to look at people (even if subconsciously).

As for memorizing the words, I employ pneumonic tricks to learn the lyrics for a new song. And if I forget some of the words during the gig, so be it. Most people don't care anyway.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 PM

If your having focus problems - too many things going thru the mind, can't remember the chords/notes/words.. here's Steve Cropper's answer:

"Check out which girl you want to play to in the front row, and don’t take your eyes off of her. You’ll come up with something. "

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/...ber-2008/89317

Taylor 414ce
Ovation Celebrity
PRS Santana SE
Coil Angel
Ariana 12 String - from the 70's
new to me: Taylor 455ce (12)
Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 AM

Gotta admit, I use the tab printouts and plastic binder method too, to my eternal shame.

I used to be really good at learning chords, and always been great with lyrics - I can style play and sing songs like Sultans of Swing that I learnt a quarter of a century ago, back in the day when I used to sit down with my tape recorder and play, rewind, play again til it all sunk in.

But these days I find I don't have the time to sit and learn the songs - I barely have time to run through them a couple of times, let alone learn them. Part of my problem is I don't like playing the same songs twice, it seems - I guess I get bored of my set before the audience gets the chance to be bored of it, which is good and bad.

As Mr Junko says though, it does make one look like an rank amateur. Having said that, all my local peers playing the local bars use the same methods, so at least I look no more amateur than anyone else! Though that means that if I did learn my set, I'd look a bit more pro than the rest of them!

Another problem I have is that I only play once a month at most, so I'm not playing these songs often enough for them to sink in. Mind you, I work for UK Government, so I might not be in a job for much longer - I'll have PLENTY of time to learn then!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 AM

My vocalist i bringing his new I-pad that he somehow has next to him to remember the lyrics.

I just prefer to remember the chords and have a set list on the floor ..
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 10-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
My vocalist i bringing his new I-pad that he somehow has next to him to remember the lyrics.

I just prefer to remember the chords and have a set list on the floor ..
See, now if I was just a vocalist, I could (and would) learn the words, no problem. Ditto, if I was just a guitarist (as I am when I play in the duo I'm in) I'd learn all the chords (well, I would if not for the fact that the singer is too lazy to even rehearse!)

But when I'm playing solo, and considering I like to add a dozen new songs every time I play, I just don't have the time/energy/willpower to learn them all - especially coz if I feel the audience didn't like them, I'd probably never play them again!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzamundo View Post
But when I'm playing solo, and considering I like to add a dozen new songs every time I play, I just don't have the time/energy/willpower to learn them all - especially coz if I feel the audience didn't like them, I'd probably never play them again!
Holy christ! You add a dozen new songs every time you play? That's impressive. How often do you gig?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write