The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Taking time working in isolation on some of these awkward barres that you will rarely see used (I've never come across a full C barre used in a score) is one reason it is a good idea to work on technique as part of learning new songs. You won't spend as much time on relatively futile, non practical stuff. The C shape in particular does not sound good with the third as the lowest note. In an actual first position C chord the sixth string is either not played at all or is fretted up to a G (you can't do that in a C shaped barre).
I don't normally use the sixth string unless I need a bass note, most commonly down to the fifth in the C barre shape.
I don't strum all six strings. I like moving bass lines, hammer ons, pull offs, slides and such.
I move between this barre form and single notes. If you use it it will become just as easy as say the E form barre.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
I don't normally use the sixth string unless I need a bass note, most commonly down to the fifth in the C barre shape.
I don't strum all six strings. I like moving bass lines, hammer ons, pull offs, slides and such.
I move between this barre form and single notes. If you use it it will become just as easy as say the E form barre.
Right, not a full barre and that was my point. Happy playing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-08-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
I gather that there is a teaching system that uses the open chord shapes as a basis for teaching scale positions. Is that what you are talking about? Certainly one should learn to play the major scales in the position that puts the tonic under the pinky on the 5th string and the position that puts the tonic under the middle finger on the 6th string. These are the two easiest major scale positions, since one only needs to finger a four fret range. There are 7 basic positions for playing each of the major scales and all are worth learning, although the system based on open chords would be limited to five. But playing full barre, six note C and G chords is another story. You seem to be running the two together. Do you really play a lot of full barre C and G chord shapes and find them the most practical six string chords? Part of my objection to the system that teaches scale positions as derived from chord shapes is that it leads to confusion such as this over what someone is talking about.
I am familiar with the caged system. I consider it a fretboard visualisation method.
I tend to visualise the fretboard through octave shapes.
I'm not running anything together. All I said was that the notes lay nicely under your fingers if you become comfortable with these shapes.
Take Carter style playing that has a melody combined with rhythmic strumming. Most people when not playing open position would use a capo, and yes I use a capo when I want that sound. But I like the freedom to move into techniques such as this and still move below where a capo would have been.
I notated a four bar movement but I can't seem to attach it yet. Will keep trying.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=rick-slo;3068161]Right, not a full barre and that was my point. Happy playing.[/QUOTE

Sometimes I still barre it though. Does that count.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write