The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch182 View Post
Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. I'll keep at it. Right now I can't feel my finger tips but their not bleeding yet.

Any other advice for a total novice?
Lessons I should look at, videos, etc?
Mine never bleed, but even with callouses it can still get sore after playing for an hour.......funny that
Old 10-26-2010, 11:42 AM

fat fingers? make sure to youtube redd volkaert. or tal farlow. or heck, bb king (though he doen't play too many chords!)

it's all about hand posture. use only the tip of the finger, keep the thumb on an invisible "stripe" that runs parallel along the middle of the back of the neck. keep your palm away from the guitar, and make sure that the first knuckle is slightly bent, not collapsing under pressure.

Push only as hard as is needed. a big problem many beginners run into is pushing harder when they hear muted notes--when they really need to play cleaner, not harder.

good luck...it's absolutely normal to be going thru this.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daza152 View Post
Hery Webby, are you talking about Marty Schwartz? He is my one and only(except for Justin) Guitar teacher, he is brilliant and definately a MUST for the beginner and he explains everything simplifies it. I have learnt so much from him......The Best on You-Tube some say!!!
I found him on Youtube, great teacher and makes it fun. I've only been playing about 2 weeks. I know where D, G, C, C9, and A chords are but it takes me a bit to get my fingers in the right place without muting strings. So I just keep working on them trying to get faster between switching.

I can't wait until I can do it without looking and between strums.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write