The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2022, 03:17 PM

Default Goodall Standard versus TDR?

For those with recent experience with both models how would you describe the tone differences?
Old 08-10-2022, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Dave I owned a Goodall Standard in Cedar/EIR and it was an great guitar but the voice is gonna be a lot more "modern" than the H&D TDR. I also owned the latter (Adi/EIR) and of the two it would be my choice. Not that it's as vintage voiced as either of your two Martin's. Certainly in that same vein but a little more versatile IMO. Really a fine guitar and it's a little bit smaller body than the Goodall Standard. As always...if you can play both do so. Looking at your stable you do have some vintage stuff going on there so maybe a change would be welcomed? But I find people tend to like what they have and most always follow in that same suit.
I see a win/win. No right or wrong...just different. Let us know which way you go!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-10-2022, 04:22 PM

I've owned a '93 Goodall Standard, straight grained Brazilian/Sitka and currently have two TDR's in my signature below. Only reason for parting with the Goodall was the neck, just couldn't bond with it as opposed to my two H and D TDR's that fit like a glove. Also had a couple of Goodall dreads, EIR and a Cocobolo, I would rate their tonal qualities similar to my H and D's but it's been a while and never played the two makers side by side.

The TDR's I have now, in my opinion, have a more modern tone, not big and bassey like some forward shifted Martins, but substantial nonetheless, balanced mids and highs to round things out. Al Petteway played my Brazilian when it was younger and he compared it favorably to many prewar Martins when it was wearing medium 80/20's so what do I know. I'm running lights on them now but they really shine with mediums and may move back to bluegrass sets. I actually prefer the older Honduran/Sitka, sounds like an old guitar should with crystaline highs and that big bass that sounds like it's coming out of a deep well or from a well aged brittle wooded box. The guitars are not light like Martins or SCGC's as they have a bolt on neck.

The Standard is a huge guitar by my standards, with the way Goodall pretensions his tops like a drum, cavernous with overtones is the way I had described it. Sounded like a chorus of angels. I'm sure different woods and top materials would make a difference but I believe even Bobby Swanson enjoys sitting behind a Goodall Standard every now and then.

Hope this helps, I'm not real good at describing 'tone', just what I hear.
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Last edited by TennesseeWalker; 08-10-2022 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
For those with recent experience with both models how would you describe the tone differences?
Dave: Agree with everything Jim stated above. That being said, were you looking for a comparison between a Goodall Standard and a Goodall TraD or the HD-TRD.

Having owned a Rosewood Standard and played several Goodall Trad, they are different in much the same way as the H&D comparison. I will tell you, the Traditional Goodall can hold it's own with many stellar bluegrass instruments. In fact, I would say that the traditional OM & Dred model Goodalls are the "least" Goodall sounding of anything James and Luke are building!
Old 08-10-2022, 04:53 PM

Hi folks to clarify I meant the Goodall Traditional Dreadnought. However I do appreciate the H&D information as I’ve been interested in one of those too.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi folks to clarify I meant the Goodall Traditional Dreadnought. However I do appreciate the H&D information as I’ve been interested in one of those too.
Ooops...sorry Dave. I just assumed and you see what happens?

Old 08-10-2022, 06:20 PM

I own a AKS - A Aloha Koa standard
its a very nice instrument .

Honestly what ever i think about your comparison
Id try and find a seller with both models - go their and play them. ( hard thing to do - maybe Elderly ? )
Goodalls are not cheap guitars and without comparing them
it could be a risky thing to do-

Id look at it like this -look at it as an adventure and enjoy the search
or as they say journey -have fun - ill bet you the right guitar will show itself sooner than you think . i have no regrets about my AKS -
Old 08-10-2022, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Ooops...sorry Dave. I just assumed and you see what happens?

Indeed! But I’m used to being the ***** in assume - in most situations. [emoji23]
Old 08-10-2022, 07:01 PM

A little background. My local seller has a terrific Goodall Standard that knocked my socks off. I played it about a dozens times and love the tone and the neck. I wrote it off because of the price, but there might be a deal to be made. It would take selling a few of my guitars plus cash to pay for it.

My impression is that I would be very happy and so would my fingers and hands.

You see, my chemo has been much more difficult than expected and my new Martin sounds amazing but it is difficult for me to play now, except for good days. Same for the Gibson and my old Martin.

The Larrivee plays easy as pie, but I’d like a bigger volume for flat-picking since I’ll likely be relying on one “easier to play” necked guitar more than expected.

My fear of missing out says that if the Standard sounds this good - like really good, the traditional dreadnought might be even better. I know of no shop that has one in a hundred miles or more. So I am curious as to what the good members think.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

The Standard is a very "intoxicating" guitar for sure. And...it loves a set of 12's. Mine came with 13's (bought it used) and was reluctant to switch to 12's but I think it was better with the lighter gauge. 13's seemed to choke it a little.
Sorry the chemo side effects are so debilitating? Must be difficult. Hope it all works out for you with this Goodall whether is be the Standard oe the Traditional model.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
The Standard is a very "intoxicating" guitar for sure. And...it loves a set of 12's. Mine came with 13's (bought it used) and was reluctant to switch to 12's but I think it was better with the lighter gauge. 13's seemed to choke it a little.
Sorry the chemo side effects are so debilitating? Must be difficult. Hope it all works out for you with this Goodall whether is be the Standard oe the Traditional model.

Thank you for the kind words. Things will work out. I’m confident of that. I guess the neuropathy can also be seen as a preview window into aging. I have a greater appreciate for the folks who struggle to play guitars they used to love. I used to think “how bad can it be?” Now I know. I’m confident mine is temporary (less than a year) based on the doctor’s advice. But a year is still a long time for this music focused guitar nerd.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
A little background. My local seller has a terrific Goodall Standard that knocked my socks off. I played it about a dozens times and love the tone and the neck. I wrote it off because of the price, but there might be a deal to be made. It would take selling a few of my guitars plus cash to pay for it.

My impression is that I would be very happy and so would my fingers and hands.

You see, my chemo has been much more difficult than expected and my new Martin sounds amazing but it is difficult for me to play now, except for good days. Same for the Gibson and my old Martin.

The Larrivee plays easy as pie, but I’d like a bigger volume for flat-picking since I’ll likely be relying on one “easier to play” necked guitar more than expected.

My fear of missing out says that if the Standard sounds this good - like really good, the traditional dreadnought might be even better. I know of no shop that has one in a hundred miles or more. So I am curious as to what the good members think.
If you like that Goodall Standard, I think you will be hard pressed to find the Goodall TRD better. My Rosewood Standard is my one “do it all” guitar.
Even though it is a large guitar, it is a great finger picker, and excels at strumming and flat picking.My experience is that the Standard gives you more of everything than the TRD. And James Goodall has said it is his crowing achievement. The TRD will have a bit less overtones, and probably slightly less volume as the Standard is deeper and larger. The TRD is plenty loud enough though,and you may prefer it.
You can’t go wrong with either choice, but I am partial to the Standard.
Best of luck on your decision, and hope your health improves.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 08-10-2022, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

As a former owner of a Goodall Standard, I can tell you the tone can be quite intoxicating . . . at first. But you have to beware that grand piano effect with all those overtones. After a while, I just found they didn’t work for me. I needed a drier guitar. When people try to find a reference point for a guitar with massive overtones, a Goodall Standard is often the guitar that comes up in conversation.

I have never had an opportunity to play one of James’ traditional guitars, but I can imagine if they have less overtone content they would be phenomenal. Goodall guitars are great. I’ve played many of them over the years.

Just give that Standard a good, hard listen to make sure you love the overtones.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:22 AM

I got my Authentic back from the luthier and he did an excellent job with the setup. Much easier to fret with numbness. So much so that I am rethinking my need for the Goodall. I’m going to give it a few days before I take any further action. Were it not for the very high cost of the Goodall, I think I would have made the deal already.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Glad the setup on the Authentic went well. It's amazing what a big difference that can make...enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion