The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-09-2022, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Build Day2

We begin Day 2 by gluing braces to the Sitka top. We start by cutting, fitting and gluing the double X braces, the transverse brace and the bridge plate.

day2_3glue double x.jpg

While we wait for the glue to dry on the top, I carve the back braces being careful not the jam the chisel into my fingers as it appears I am about to do in this photo. The braces are contoured and sanded to final shape.

day2_5carving back braces2.jpg

We then return to the top and glue in the finger braces and sound hole bracing.

day2_4glue finger braces.jpg

Next we sand the contoured radius into the maple rims in preparation for the linings.

day2_6sanding curvature into sides.jpg

In this photo I am cautiously bending the kerfed linings to shape. These linings are already fairly flexible due to the kerf. However, they are also easy to break and easy to burn on the bending iron due to the thin amount of wood at the back of the kerf. The mantra here was to keep the wood moving to avoid burns while applying gentle even pressure.

day2_2bending kerfed lining.jpg

Once the linings are bent and glued into place, I move on to lay out the peghead. Again (as always) measuring twice to make sure, then using a small punch shown here I mark an exact starting point for the drill.

day2_7laying out peghead.jpg

In this photo, under the watchful and slightly nervous eye of the master, I drill the holes for the tuning machines.

day2_8drilling holes for tuning machines.jpg

The guitar is really starting to take shape now and I am being asked to take a router and cut a hole in its side for the sound port. No pressure here. While nerve racking, I successfully manage to come up to the marrked oval with out going past the pencil marks.

day2_9routing side port.jpg

Using precision dental tools I mark where the braces meet the kerfed linings

day2_10marking where to notch linings.jpg

After calming down on the last step after routing the sound port I attempt to relax and using extreme caution I rout the linings where the braces shall fit.

day2_11routing linings for braces.jpg

With the lining pockets routed the back braces now fit flush on the maple sides. The back is glued and clamped into place with rubber bands,

day2_12back glued to sides.jpg

It was another action packed day and the final shape is starting to come into focus. What a blast this build is. I hope y'all enjoy the pics.

Cheers,
John
Old 08-09-2022, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
It’s fun seeing the pics, John. Getting to relive the excitement.
Dejavu all over again—as is said.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I am having fun going through all the photos for these posts and reliving it as well. Thanks again to both you and Ryan for helping me build such and awesome guitar!

John
Old 08-09-2022, 06:48 PM

Looking good!
Old 08-09-2022, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Very impressive luthier carpentry…!!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 08-10-2022, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbryan View Post
Looking good!
Melvin, Thanks for the kind words and following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
Very impressive luthier carpentry…!!!
Thanks Jeff. With their patient teaching and expert guidance throughout the process, Steve and Ryan can make anybody's student guitar build look impressive. They really do make it hard for you to fail (despite me trying several times)

John
Old 08-10-2022, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Build Day 3

So it is now day day 3 of my student guitar build journey and we begin the morning by getting the top flush with the sides. We started by rough sanding on the the large table belt sander. Here I complete the task using a combination file/rasp taking care not to scatch up the maple sides.

day3_1filing back to sides.jpg

Next on the agenda is to carve the top braces. Building on the skill level (cough, cough) gained yesterday on the back braces, I tackle the top braces and sculpt them into shape. This is mostly delicate chisel work.....

day3_2carving top braces.jpg

however, I also get to use this cool little scoop plane that is shaped so that it cuts the concave curvature into the brace.

day3_3using scalloping plane.jpg

After I complete the the carving of the braces I spend a good deal of time attacking them with sand paper to smooth out and contour all the areas where the chisel wasn't quite as cooperative as I had hoped. While working a chisel is certainly not difficult, mastering the proper angle and amount of pressure to get the tool to cut as you want definitely takes practice.

With the top braces completed we take a break for lunch in order to fortify myself for what is to come next.... the dreaded and much talked about... Watusi!!!

In this step the sides, linings, heel and end blocks all must be sanded into the same curvature to match the top. This is accomplished on an ancient round torture device (just kidding) with the proper curved diameter cut into the bowl and covered with 60 grit paper. The goal is to twist and turn the entire mold until the rim assembly matches the curve of the bowl. Sounds simple enough right?

While not difficult, this is by far the most physical part of the week. You are going to sweat and need to take breaks. It is also a bit deceptive. Since at first only a small portion of the wood is touching the outer rim of the bowl, the progress in the sanding is relatively fast, giving the false sense that this would not be so bad. As the sandpaper and twisting motion did its work the rim assembly sunk deeper into the bowl and more effort was needed to over come the additional friction caused by the addition wood now contacting the sanding surface. With time and perserverance (and alot of twisting and turing), the wood was sanded into shape.

day3_4watusi.jpg

After the afternoon aerobics were completed, we moved on to more sedate tasks such as working on the neck. Here we are installing the carbon fiber reinforcement. Note the channel for the truss rod has already been routed at this time.

day3_5carbon fiber neck.jpg

Next we trim the fret board to rough shape

day3_rough cut fretboard.jpg

While Steve and I were working on the neck, Ryan does some final touch up sanding on the inside of the guitar and adds the label to the back. Dang, that is pretty. Wait..... what..... is that my name on the label??

day3_6pretty inside.jpg

The agenda says the "must be completed" step for Day 3 is to close the box. So next I again use the dental tools to mark where the lining pockets must be cut to allow the top braces to fit. Feeling more comfortable the second time around, I rout the lining pockets.

day3_7routing top lining3511.jpg

And Day 3 comes to an end with the top being glue onto the sides and a close box is accomplished.

day3_8top glue in place.jpg
Old 08-11-2022, 02:40 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Build day 4

We begin day 4 of my guitar build by trimming the top flush to the sides. As we did yesterday with the back, we get close with the belt sander and then, as shown below, finish by hand with the combination rasp file.

day4_1file top to sides.jpg

Next we level the side with sand paper. This not only cleans up any scratches left behind from the rasp/file but also smooths any warps or waves that may have been imprinted during the bending process of the sides.

day4_2level sides.jpg

At this point it is time to put some work in on the neck. We start by getting the heel angle correct.

day4_4sanding heel.jpg

Next we add heel reinforcement by drilling and then gluing in a mahogany dowel

day4_5drilling heel reinforcement.jpg

Here you see Steve and I measuring for the placement of the fret board dots.

day4_6fretboard layout.jpg

While Steve and I are putting the the fretboard dots, Ryan glues in this gorgeous end graft.

day4_3end graft2.jpg

The last bit of business for day 4 is to attach the binding and purfling to the top and back of the guitar. Here you can see the articulating jig used to rout the channels to accept the pieces.

day4_7routing binding channel.jpg

Once the channels our routed to the correct depth, we sand them smooth and glue and secure the purfling and binding to the sides.

day4_8gluing purfling.jpg
Old 08-11-2022, 08:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

That was a fun day!

SK

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-12-2022, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Build Day 5 & 6

I have combined the last two days of the build since there were fewer photos. But before starting in on build day 5, I realized that I ended day 4 with us gluing the purfling in place. I forgot to include this pic of us then gluing and taping the binding. In this photo Steve is carefully cutting the binding to size.

day4_10trim binding to length.jpg

On day 5 we begin work on the fret board. I did not capture any photos of the prep work or the actual cutting and installation of the frets. Here with the frets already in place I am filing the ends to shape and size.

day5_1filing frets.jpg

After the fretting step is complete, we turn our attention to shaping the neck. This had to be one of the most interesting part of the build. It was like creating a sculpture. Creating a beautiful 3 dimensional shape from a blank block of wood. As Steve said you just have to keep removing the unneeded wood until you find the correct shape within.

This was done with a wide array of tools from a saw to remove larger portions of the heel, to a chisel, a Japanese hacksaw blade rasp, a spoke shave and a scraper. All had there turn removing unnecessary wood from the neck blank. Below I am using the spoke shave to shape the neck.

day5_2neck profile.jpg

Of all the tools mentioned above I forgot to add sandpaper. Here is the step Steve likes to call "shoe shine" If you look over my right shoulder you can see my Santa Cruz 00 lying on the bench. It has a modified V neck that I really like. To add even more interest into this sculpting project, was Steve's ability to match the contour of that guitar to this new one we were building. With a couple of neck depth measurements and the use of the "1000 fingers" contour tool we could see exactly where material needed to be removed to attain the desired shape.

day5_3neck sanding.jpg

During my build week I learned that the Nacogdoches area had been in bit of a drought. This meant wildlife was drawn to Steve and Billie's backyard for water. Here, from the workshop windows, you can see 2 deer coming to drink from the bird bath. There were actually 6 deer in the yard that day and 3 the day before.

day5_4deer.jpg

After completing the neck carve and recovering from the wildlife interuption we mated the neck to the guitar body for this almost complete guitar pic at the end of build day 5.

Note: the temporary taped on bridge is not mine, it was borrowed from a BIG guitar that was off in Michigan getting finished. If you look closely you can see my bridge lying on the bench waiting for its final shaping on day 6.

day5_5almost finished.jpg

Day 6, the last day in TX, begins with a delicious breakfast at Dollie's Diner on the historic square in downtown Nacogdoches. (I dare you to ask Steve and Ryan about our waitress) Ryan's guess was she had a six pack of Mt Dew before coming to work When we get back to the shop we get to work on the last final touches to be complete. I start by cutting out and sanding the truss rod cover.

day6_1truss rod cover.jpg

Then, as mentioned earlier, I shape and sand the bridge which I did not get and photographic evidence of. Next we fit the neck, measure to find the bridge location and drill the indexing holes into the top.

day6_2fitting neck and bridge3532.jpg

And with that we have a completed guitar "in the white".

day6_final front.jpg

day6_final back.jpg

And the team that made it happen. Or as Steve likes to say the glamour shots.

day6_glamour front.jpg

day6_glamour back.jpg

What an amazing whirlwind of a week. I had a blast and learned so much. It is truly remarkable what can be accomplished in such a short time. I want to again thank Steve and Ryan for sharing their expertise and along with Billie for their incredible hospitality. It was a week I will fondly remember forever.

Thanks to all the AGF members for following along on this journey. If you have any desire to build a guitar, this is a unique opportunity to learn from 2 remarkably skilled luthiers. I highly recommend it!!

And now with the guitar either in transit or already in MI for the finish to be applied, the waiting begins.

John
Old 08-12-2022, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
That was a fun day!

SK
Steve, They were ALL fun days!!!

John
Old 08-12-2022, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Really looks great, John--it was great fun reliving the experience through your build!

Great job--looking forward to seeing it under finish.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-12-2022, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful looking guitar. Can’t wait to see it under finish as well!

K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 08-13-2022, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Really looks great, John--it was great fun reliving the experience through your build!

Great job--looking forward to seeing it under finish.

Thanks Kevin. I can only hope that my maple pops under finish as well as you Padauk did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
Beautiful looking guitar. Can’t wait to see it under finish as well!
Thanks Jeff. Me too!

John
Old 08-14-2022, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

John,
Somehow the picture of my Kinnaird has taken over the thread title on Tapatalk…so we need more pictures of that Maple!

K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 08-15-2022, 04:06 PM

That Watusi was real! Lol. But it was worth it. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop