The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-17-2020, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
You and Bobby are such lucky fellas! I can't wait till the day I can finally play a Doerr. His work always impresses me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Schweeet! Congrats! Sure hope Marcus will make a couple videos for you since it may be awhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
Beautiful guitar! Wow! Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
Absolutely beautiful, naturally, given it's a Doerr! You are a patient person, don't think I could wait it out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim36 View Post
That top is beautiful. I am also particularly fond of the back braces of all things...
Thank you for the kind words. I am already thinking about a second build if my finances allow it.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 08-18-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Smile Beautiful

What a Beauty

Hope you can collect it soon, and start getting acquainted !

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-24-2022, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Fast forward to Jul/Aug 2022

Hello to all,

Sorry to revive an old thread.

First and foremost, I thought this to be a good idea to once again commemorate the beloved late Tom Doerr and am still disheartened by the loss, but long live his legacy as one of the most gifted guitar luthier in the world.

Secondly, my build thread hasn't actually had a closure. You see, I still haven't received or collected my Doerr yet.

For those who want to skip through, long story short, my guitar has long since been completed in 2020 and delivered to Marcus (The Golden Era Guitar). Due to the pandemic. I was not able to travel to Singapore to pick it up. Due to it being Brazilian Rosewood, shipping to Australia is not a risk I would take.

The time is finally here, I will be going to Singapore next week to pick up my Doerr. I am super excited. I can then share my thoughts on the new Doerr Mod D. The last model and creation of Doerr before his passing as he has not previously offered this body size before. This will also be my first Brazilian Rosewood steel string that I will own. Another shout out to Bobby @SuperB23 for sharing his youtube videos of his Doerr MOD-D and communicating with me, that pretty much sealed the deal for me when deciding early in the piece. And of course to Marcus (The Golden Era Guitar) for the awesome continuing support he has provided.

Stay tuned next week for more updates and pictures.

Gone But Not Forgotten
Old 07-25-2022, 02:21 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post

For those who want to skip through, long story short, my guitar has long since been completed in 2020 and delivered to Marcus (The Golden Era Guitar). Due to the pandemic. I was not able to travel to Singapore to pick it up. Due to it being Brazilian Rosewood, shipping to Australia is not a risk I would take.

The time is finally here, I will be going to Singapore next week to pick up my Doerr. I am super excited.
You should be knighted for your patience. I think I'd have been swimming there to get it!

I think about my buddy Tom just about every day.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Hello to all,

Sorry to revive an old thread.

First and foremost, I thought this to be a good idea to once again commemorate the beloved late Tom Doerr and am still disheartened by the loss, but long live his legacy as one of the most gifted guitar luthier in the world.

Secondly, my build thread hasn't actually had a closure. You see, I still haven't received or collected my Doerr yet.

The time is finally here, I will be going to Singapore next week to pick up my Doerr. I am super excited. I can then share my thoughts on the new Doerr Mod D. The last model and creation of Doerr before his passing as he has not previously offered this body size before. This will also be my first Brazilian Rosewood steel string that I will own. Another shout out to Bobby @SuperB23 for sharing his youtube videos of his Doerr MOD-D and communicating with me, that pretty much sealed the deal for me when deciding early in the piece. And of course to Marcus (The Golden Era Guitar) for the awesome continuing support he has provided.

Stay tuned next week for more updates and pictures.
Thats great to hear pandaroo. Am looking forward to your thoughts on the guitar.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:29 AM

Congratulations, I hope you have a safe trip and your new guitar exceeds your expectations.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, I hope you love your Doerr as much as I love mine!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-26-2022, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

You are in for a treat, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it and see pics!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 08-09-2022, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Home at last - safe and sound

Guitar finally picked up!! I hand carried and checked in the guitar as an oversize baggage without any wrapping or protection of some sort, relying solely on the mercy of the baggage handlers and the very sturdy Cedar Creek case that it came with. Upon arrival in Perth, the guitar came out of the conveyor belt in perfect condition with no scratches or scuffs marks on the case. Walk through the border control with ease and no questions or whatsoever with the Brazilian Rosewood nor did I pay any tax or import duties. Overall it was a successful pick up and delivery.

I will let the honeymoon period settle first and get time to analyse it alongside my other guitars whilst still needing to tweak the set up, truss rod and string change etc before I share my thoughts on the instrument.

Here are a few pictures I took from my hotel room using the camera from my iphone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1674.jpg (32.9 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1675.jpg (31.3 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1677.jpg (28.3 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1678.jpg (39.9 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1679.jpg (33.4 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1682.jpg (23.8 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1683.jpg (46.5 KB, 214 views)

Gone But Not Forgotten
Old 08-09-2022, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Looks beautiful congrats!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 08-11-2022, 09:07 PM

Many congrats!! Tom's special attention to detail ( he called it having the "anal gene"!! ) Will carry you to many heights with this guitar, I'm sure. It's beautiful in every way.

My Doerr continues to give its all every day 8 years later. Never a day when it comes through for me!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 08-13-2022, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Wow that’s beautiful! Tom’s instruments are special gifts to the world from the heavens.. Nice to see their all over the world. I wonder if there on all continents.. And does anyone know how many instruments Tom made in his 20 year career?? ( approx)
Lowden'87 L27FC Taylors’93 Kottke’94 910’82 855c(flor)Harp’19 Emerald Synergy (koa)’17 Doerr Solace select’12 Carmel OM ‘11 SCGC-FS Nylon:Sand,Cervantes.WeissSlide,Gypsy Elecs:Collings Eastside.Turners:RN6,RS6’59335Hist:Strat,Tele,Bass-Lakland,Fender Fretless.Amps:Princeton,Calif Blonde/xcab,Vox,Uke,Accordian,misc devices
Old 08-13-2022, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

That’s a fabulous guitar! My old buddy, Frank Smith, was a Doerr artist and introduced me to Toms fabulous work. Frank worked together with Tom on the Modified D…I hope you love it and play it for years to come!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 08-13-2022, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Tom Doerr Guitar, Modified Dreadnought (Swiss/BRW) - Long awaited update!

That is beautiful, and I’m sure it sounds great! Nice you carried it home without airline or customs hassles. So sad about Tom.
I have a Doerr Solace that looks a bit similar, especially the headstock and BRW…such elegance!
So, it’s a Modified Dread, is that correct?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop