The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-29-2014, 05:04 PM

Default Is there a good DIY fix for this kind of damage?

It's a Cordoba GK studio, solid top, nylon strings, fan bracing.

I was thinking of buying it, then it was damaged.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:09 PM

Ugly but fixable. As for diy well that depends on your experience and expectations. IOW to make that invisible is almost impossible even for the experts but if you just want it to be structurally sound then no problem.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Ugly I can deal with. I was thinking I might just be able to get some glue in the cracks, clamp it, and have an ugly guitar that sounds good and plays well for cheap. I donīt have any experience with this kind of repair.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:49 PM

Ok, then you can diy this. First make sure that the guitar is well humidified so that the Crack is tight. You will need some long reach clamps. Make some cauls out of flat mdf or something like that and line them with cork. Then work some Titebond in there and clamp it up over night.clean the area with a damp cloth while the glued is still wet. Then make some cross grained cleats preferably out of spruce and glue them in across the cracks. If you want then you can wet sand the area and polish it to clean it up a bit.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:13 PM

Put a layer of poly sheet or at least wax paper between your repair and the cauls. I find wax paper discolors some glues, inside it should not be an issue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair