The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
Out of curiosity, how long would you wait for a non-bespoke guitar?

I ordered a Guild F-512 Maple back in January and have been told I was top of the list as of February with a March delivery date. I am now being told late fall (which might be December) Unfortunately, it seems either Guild is not producing them (they are producing the rosewood versions), or my (well known/large) store is not high enough on their allocation table to get them. That said, I am not seeing them from any other stores either, so it sounds like a production issue.

Should I consider switching my order to a rosewood version?

Other than the F-2512 which I found to have poor build quality, does anyone have a suggestion for a Jumbo Maple 12 string. Even if I have to wait longer for a bespoke manufacturer, I would consider it if the quality is there.

oh yes, I have also paid for it in full, so they have had my money 6 months so far...
I don't know if this counts but, it took me thirty years to find a guitar that had a production period from 1978 to 1985. At the time of my search this series of guitars were absolutely unknown they are the " Hohner HG-900 Arbor Series All Aged Wood Guitars " with the advent of the internet and all the online guitar sale sites they have become much more well known, the guitar that I am referencing is the HG-950. The night I finally found it on E-bay I couldn't believe eyes and thankfully it had a buy now option, I ended up collecting the entire series.

Here is the HG-950 an the HG-940, The 950 has solid Rosewood B/S and the 940 has solid Mahogany B/S

Here is the rest of the collection.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I'm waiting 10 months for an Iris....so. Good Luck with yours. Get what you want, don't settle and be sorry.
I agree with this. I waited 6 months for my 000-15SM. If you don't have a guitar yet, get a decent, inexpensive one to tide you over. I already had other guitars, so I didn't mind the wait.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:59 AM

Default How long would you wait for a new guitar

Saw my first one as a kid in the '63 Gretsch catalog, waited 55 years before I finally scored this NOS beauty in 2018:

Suffice it to say that at this stage of my life, I wouldn't be similarly-inclined today...
Old 07-31-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Saw my first one as a kid in the '63 Gretsch catalog, waited 55 years before I finally scored this NOS beauty in 2018:

Suffice it to say that at this stage of my life, I wouldn't be similarly-inclined today...
WOW! That's a hell'va nice guitar you got there.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how long would you wait for a non-bespoke guitar?

I ordered a Guild F-512 Maple back in January and have been told I was top of the list as of February with a March delivery date. I am now being told late fall (which might be December) Unfortunately, it seems either Guild is not producing them (they are producing the rosewood versions), or my (well known/large) store is not high enough on their allocation table to get them. That said, I am not seeing them from any other stores either, so it sounds like a production issue.

Should I consider switching my order to a rosewood version?

Other than the F-2512 which I found to have poor build quality, does anyone have a suggestion for a Jumbo Maple 12 string. Even if I have to wait longer for a bespoke manufacturer, I would consider it if the quality is there.

oh yes, I have also paid for it in full, so they have had my money 6 months so far...
This would be a good topic to run a poll on.

sm
Old 08-07-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
...oh yes, I have also paid for it in full, so they have had my money 6 months so far...
6 months for me.

Not sure if you are in the USA, but in some states, once you take full payment you x amount of weeks or months to deliver the product or the consumer is entitled to a full refund. It differs from state to state. On one occasion I did have to use/enforce that clause in our local consumer protection regulations.

Tommy

Last edited by tommieboy; 08-07-2022 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:02 PM

How long would you wait for a new guitar

I waited over 20 years for a new acoustic 12 string that I both liked and did not break the bank. This was pre-internet. I was playing mostly electric and had an acoustic 12 string that needed an upgrade/replacement. Saw a few, but never pulled the trigger for various reasons, including once literally sleeping on a decision for one that was gone the next day. This was not a daily search thing, but was more a target of random opportunity.

Then one day I walked into a (now-defunct) music store and played a new solid wood Taylor spruce/sapele 355 12 string Jumbo. After quite a bit of playing, I made an offer (this was in the days of haggling, list prices and all) and it followed me home (within budget, a nice round number including case and tax).

It was my only 12 string guitar for nearly 20 years. Love it still. Currently doing yeoman work in DADGAD intervals tuned down from 'D#'.

'You can do magic?'

Yup. Magick.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 08-07-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
I waited for about 11 months for a Halcyon NL-00. It was a great guitar. I am now in the process of ordering a guitar from the Martin Custom Shop.
I've commented a couple of times in this thread. Circumstances are always changing. I got a quote on a Custom Shop Martin a few days ago. I decided to pass because the wait would be almost a year and a half. I'm 69 and I just can't wait that long. At this age, I need instant gratification.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 08-10-2022, 04:00 PM

I have waited as long as 10 months. At 68, I don't want to wait anymore. Gimme Gimme take my money
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 08-10-2022, 06:11 PM

Been their had about a year wait for my Greven ( back in the late 70's )
it was a very long and hard wait for me .- was worth it .
I bought a Chinese F-1512 Guild last fall ( EIR all solid wood ) not a bad guitar -a step above a F2512. - Its a fun instrument -
I know Sweetwater has a good relationship with Guild -might be worth checking with them

Id wait for a maple F412 - they are worth the wait
Old 08-10-2022, 07:11 PM

I waited a long time for a Godin Multiac Spectrum from Musician's Friend, maybe six months or so. However, MF does not charge anything until they receive and ship the item. I would not pay out for something and then not receive it for months on end. If I pay, I want it within a couple of weeks at most; otherwise, no deal.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Pre-pandemic I waited the obligatory 5-6 months for Martin's Custom Shop under the watchful eye of our old friend Jon Garon. (MFG) When Wes & Ben first started PWGC I jumped on the band wagon and had very little wait time for those guitars but it was in their infancy. Jimmy Edmonds got me an 18 style dread in about 5-6 months as well. I don't have the patience for these long build waits...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-10-2022, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I agree with the Rev. At our age that custom order may not be finished before we're finished. And then, once you receive it, there's "The Break In Period". By the time it's broken in, I hope I can still play!
Old 08-10-2022, 10:55 PM

I've waited over 3 years several times, but that was for custom boutique instruments. For a production guitar? Not that long. Firm believer in targets of opportunity.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion