The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Yes I ended selling a few guitars just to consolidate to buy that Olson on my You Tube page from a collector ..

Could not miss the chance of a lifetime since it was my dream to have one since 2004 and it was one of my goals for 2012..
Oh, yeah, I saw that video...the one where you were wearing the funny glasses at the beginning, right? So glad to hear you bought it! Welcome to the fold
Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyshore View Post
Hey Joe,

a friend of mine is travelling from Toronto to Goa soon, I will PM you his address, would you please ship the guitar to him?

I would like to show it around to folks here, almost all of them have'nt heard of JT/Jim Olson, I can send you their expert and unbiased opinion too

Anyway have a great, prosperous and a happy New year!! All the best to you and your family.

Best,

Keyshore
Hey Keyshore,

The last three times I accepted such an offer I never saw the guitar again. Do you promise you will ship it back???

The guitar is awesome. Even my mom thinks it's awesome -- and she never said that of any of my guitars! My dad is a woodworker so he is more appreciative of my collection but my mom usually couldn't care less.

I wish you and yours a healthy and happy New Year -- and all the guitars your heart may desire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Yes I ended selling a few guitars just to consolidate to buy that Olson on my You Tube page from a collector ..

Could not miss the chance of a lifetime since it was my dream to have one since 2004 and it was one of my goals for 2012..
Jarvis, congratulations on your Olson. Sorry to hear you sold a bunch of guitars -- but it may not have been a bad thing after all.

The Olson SJ does not meet "all" of my playing requirements -- but combined with the Kraut it does make a bunch of other instruments obsolete. I'm too lazy to put them up for sale -- but other than my Martin and my Gibsons, everything else is up for grabs.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 PM

My guitar just made it to Jim's "Recently Sold" section, along with several other beauties:

http://www.olsonguitars.com/rs.php

Check out Zac Brown's guitar on the first page as well as a bunch of spectacular inlays from Larry Robinson.

And here's a couple of tracks that I posted in the Show & Tell section, which I'd like to document in this thread as well.

My first Christmas recording: https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...-this-olson-sj

My first original written on the SJ: https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...omnia-olson-sj
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Love your arrangement on the Christmas piece and the original is really special. Man, that Olson rings so nicely! Fantastic playing, as always! Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
My first original written on the SJ: https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...omnia-olson-sj
Joe, I'm almost in tears over here you make that guitar sound so amazing--both your playing and recording. Oh yeah, and the 40% reverb Seriously, this recording especially reminds me of why I always wanted an Olson. Like heavenly bells ringing through the pure air. I haven't been playing much lately with the busyness of the holidays, so I sat on the couch last night with my SJ for the first time in a couple weeks and was blown away anew with how amazing this guitar is. Time to get back into recording now so I can catch up with you Still want to try the Apogee Mic/iPad/Garageband combo and compare the results to my Rode NT1As and NT5s that run through my Apogee Duet. I'm sorry if I you've already answered this before, but are you processing the sound at all (aside from reverb)? Any compressor or limiter plugins being used? I figure even if I keep my XLR condenser mics, the Apogee Mic would be perfect for recording on the go.

Oh, yeah: are you using the same JP 600Ls that Jim put on the guitar or are you using a different brand and/or gauge string?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...My first original written on the SJ: https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...omnia-olson-sj
Hi Mau,

This is really pretty -- I had not heard this before. Very melodic, very sweet, lovely playing, and just stunningly gorgeous guitar. You are making very good use of that lovely Olson!

- Glenn
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Very nice original! The guitar sounds beautiful.

JR
Old 01-06-2013, 11:00 AM

Gents, thank you for listening to my recordings and for your kind feedback.

Playing an Olson SJ, or any iconic instrument, is always a very inspirational experience.

To me, there is no such thing as the "best" sounding guitar. Most if not all quality builds available today sound and play great -- but playing an Olson gives me direct access to the tones I have heard on recordings for so many years. That alone is worth the admission price to me.

Jon, other than reverb I do not add anything to my recordings. Everything is done with the iPad so no fancy plug-ins were involved.

The guitar sounds "warmer" than when I first got it. Some might say it has opened up and theorize about how the guitar would've gotten used to my home (all non sense garbage to me). I would rather think it's because the JP PB Lights are starting to degrade. I trust the guitar will sound tighter again the next time I put a new set of strings on it.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Jon, other than reverb I do not add anything to my recordings. Everything is done with the iPad so no fancy plug-ins were involved.

The guitar sounds "warmer" than when I first got it. Some might say it has opened up and theorize about how the guitar would've gotten used to my home (all non sense garbage to me). I would rather think it's because the JP PB Lights are starting to degrade. I trust the guitar will sound tighter again the next time I put a new set of strings on it.
Thanks for the clarification on the recordings. Something definitely happens to a new guitar when you begin to play it a lot, and it's not just the strings degrading. My SJ not only got warmer, but louder in the first few weeks of playing. It was very noticeable. Sure, fresh strings don't sound too great compared to when they're "broken in" (though the JPs sound better than many when new), but the first time I restrung the SJ, it still sounded better than the first day with new strings.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 PM

The soundcloud sounds great. Congrats on the new guitar.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:

You don't know how many times I've listened to this song.. Amazing tone coming out of that guitar and a beautiful song. Thank you for sharing and I can't wait to hear more originals from you! What's the tuning by the way? Dadgad?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneSlinger View Post
The soundcloud sounds great. Congrats on the new guitar.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markart View Post
You don't know how many times I've listened to this song.. Amazing tone coming out of that guitar and a beautiful song. Thank you for sharing and I can't wait to hear more originals from you! What's the tuning by the way? Dadgad?
Thanks for checking out the clips. I guess it means I wrote a catchy tune...

Yes, I play it in DADGAD, capo 4.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 AM

What a wonderful piece! I've listened to it several times just this morning. Very lively, but relaxed...I imagine like insomnia

Any plans to record this for your YouTube page?

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeastman View Post
What a wonderful piece! I've listened to it several times just this morning. Very lively, but relaxed...I imagine like insomnia

Any plans to record this for your YouTube page?
Thanks very much for listening and posting!

I'll post videos fairly soon. In fact Fedex just delivered my tripod, which I had forgotten at the Marriott in Minneapolis.

It was carefully packaged by the hotel staff and delivered to my home -- for no charge. Now that is exceptional service by any standard.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 AM

Here's my first video with the Olson, performing "Natasha's Insomnia" in B&W:

http://youtu.be/Xj_-8k1Oowc

As always, thanks for watching.

Last edited by JoeCharter; 01-09-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop