The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-18-2016, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Vibrating pickguard

Have you ever had the pick guard vibrate when you play certain notes? I think mine vibrates because the pot for the volume control just touches the sound board. Certain notes transmit to the pick guard.
I'm looking for a easy solutions for the before I attempt to remove the pick guard and try to adjust (bend) the bracket.

The guitar is a Guild Savoy and is about 2years old. The volume control knob is mounted on the pick guard. I am getting pretty good at knowing what notes cause the problem so I can stop the vibration and annoying sound with my hand.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:17 PM

Stick a piece of foam between the volume control and the top. Should deaden any transferrence. Happens a lot with tailpieces on archtops and mandolins.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:39 PM

Bend the bracket...
Old 08-18-2016, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Stick a piece of foam between the volume control and the top. Should deaden any transferrence. Happens a lot with tailpieces on archtops and mandolins.
I've done this...works for me.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:50 PM

I've used foam, or my preferred felt for isolation, but I prefer to lift the pot off the soundboard so that the pot/foam doesn't dampen the vibration of the top.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-19-2016, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
I've used foam, or my preferred felt for isolation, but I prefer to lift the pot off the soundboard so that the pot/foam doesn't dampen the vibration of the top.
So you would unscrew the mounting bracket and try to adjust it so to pot does not touch the soundboard and is does not interfere with your right hand.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:51 PM

Make sure all the mounting screws are snugged up and the guard is not riding against an edge of the fretboard. My old ES had tha problem with the edge of the guard touching the housing of the p90. I used a foam pad under under the front of the guard where the screw is to elevate the guard off the pickup.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:06 PM

I had buzzing on my L-5 that turned out to be a loose mounting nut on the volume pot which was mounted into the body of the guitar. I've had the tailpiece buzz as well and solved that by weaving a strip of leather thru the strings at the tailpiece.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:04 AM

Pickguard buzz can drive you crazy. If it's an acoustic archtop, you don't want anything touching the top, so slipping foam between the pot and the top will deaden your tone. As others have mentioned, slightly bending the bracket is the best solution.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
Pickguard buzz can drive you crazy. If it's an acoustic archtop, you don't want anything touching the top, so slipping foam between the pot and the top will deaden your tone. As others have mentioned, slightly bending the bracket is the best solution.
It's an acoustic with a floating pickup. I'm going to try some foam or felt first. If I or my discerning audience notice sound impediment, I will take on the bracket adjustment.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

So I carefully removed the bracket and adjusted the position with taped channel licks. After testing my work, I returned the guitar to the case and ate dinner.

After dinner I retrieved the guitar and discovered the pot be back in its preadjusted position. The culprit is the case. The lid closes tightly enough to press the pick guard to the sound board. I wonder if I can adjust the case. The case came with the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops