The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-14-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Skytop (Eric Weigeshoff) - Build Thread

Hi all -

Very excited to start this thread!

In the Fall last year, I decided that I was ready to dive into my first Custom Acoustic. I have had a few custom Electric guitars built by Ron Thorn (2) and Matt Artinger (3) and have loved both the process and the end results.

However, acoustic guitar has grown to be a more important part of my life and I decided to pick a builder and get me something for my needs!

I really dove into builders starting the beginning of September - watching way too many videos, playing what I could, and reading any information I could find.

After narrowing it down to 5 builders - I began talking to them and seeing their process, get their thoughts, and, honestly, get to know them a bit. Getting to know Ron and Matt during the process was one of my favorite parts, so having some personal connection with the builder was important to me. I had once had another electric guitar built by a builder in CA - the process was so painful, I sold the guitar two days after I received it, as it just felt like it had too much bad mojo.

Anyway - all discussions with the builders went well, but Eric from Skytop just clicked all the boxes. I was drawn to his work due to the different aesthetic and, what seemed to me, tonal differences. Some of the YouTube videos had an almost hybrid steel and nylon string sound to me that really appealed to my needs. Eric was wonderful to deal with from minute one - fast responses, lots of communication, a great phone call to discuss, no sales push, just genuine interest in what I was looking for.

I decided on a Grand Auditorium with Curly Walnut back/sides and Alpine Moon Spruce top after talking with Eric......details are up in the air still......main one I am debating is whether to go Multi-scale......

An expected late 2020 delivery was given to me, but Eric has surprised me twice in 2020 already with some updates and “first steps”, so I wanted to share some pictures here.

Very excited to go through the process with Eric and to get ahold of this guitar! Will be a fun 2020!!

Old 01-14-2020, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

It's certainly starting off nicely ... that figured Walnut is spectacular!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:26 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations!

My first custom build was with walnut too, and I think it is an amazing wood. Looking forward to more posts.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

Interesting build thread. Looking forward to see what comes out of this.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop