The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-02-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Tragedy on London Bridge.

The stories are coming out now.

Two intelligent, gifted and dedicated young people in their early 20s were killed by a demented terrorist who attended the same meeting about helping people in prison.

Three others, including one of those who sought to disarm the killer were seriously injured.

Much is justifiably being made of the "Joe Publics" that ran to subdue the guy, one attacking his hand holding a knife duct taped to his hand and another attacking him with a Narwhal tusk taken from a nearby restaurant.
a third used a fire extinguisher to blind the attacker.

Surprisingly, but, I believe, justifiably - an armed response policeman shot the attacker at close range, probably because he wore something made to look like a suicide vest. It was all over in minutes, but three lives ended and many others irrevocably changed.

Thoughts?
Old 12-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thoughts?
Yes, this guy was a hard core terrorist, convicted of plotting to blow up the London Stock Exchange, and they let him out early ???, serving only 8 years of a 16 year sentence.
My thought is, if they release people like that after only serving half their time, they should at least give them 100 year sentences.
That way, he would have at least been too weak to wield the machete he used to slaughter those innocent victims.
A text book example of an avoidable tragedy. You have to be tough too sometimes to preserve civility.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

It all starts with irrational belief systems. If you’re willing to believe things without a rational basis, you’re a candidate to do crazy things.

I applaud the bravery and quick action of the British public and police. Sorry for the loss of your countrymen.

It pales in comparison to the daily violence we accept on this side of the pond. Wishing your nation all the best.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Stash you may not know that the story is all over the U.S. news. I've been reading about it. It is a tragedy for all involved and the ones touched by it. There has always been demented people doing demented things. And there always will be. Yet another reminder to stay aware of the world around us.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-02-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Stash you may not know that the story is all over the U.S. news. I've been reading about it. It is a tragedy for all involved and the ones touched by it. There has always been demented people doing demented things. And there always will be. Yet another reminder to stay aware of the world around us.
“Staying aware of the world around us” ....
It’s a nice thought, but highly impractical for any kind of normalcy.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I have trouble looking at this kind of attack as a "tragedy", which to me is some freak thing like an auto-accident, a hurricane, a plane crash, etc.

I look at this type of thing as an atrocity, something pre-meditated and carried out by a human being agains other random human beings just to make some kind of mis-guided point. Or even if it's a legitimate point - it doesn't matter.

I feel horrible for the victims and their families. I'm in awe of those everyday folks who stopped this guy. And I'm grateful for the people on the scene that this madman wasn't easily able to acquire guns instead of knives, as the scale of the atrocity could have been so much greater.

And, as usual in this mixed up world, today's headlines, no matter how horrible or important, will be forgotten by tomorrow and used to wrap fish or line bird-cages...

-Ray
Old 12-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post

....how so??...awareness has been a key to survival and well-being since life was created....as far as normalcy is concerned....I would suggest that societal normalcy has always meant different things to different people...
Old 12-02-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

I am always amazed at the instantaneous bravery of the "normal" folk who act when danger is present. It gives me hope for mankind. Lately I have lamented that the world is getting "sissified". I think there is hope yet!
Old 12-02-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I have trouble looking at this kind of attack as a "tragedy", which to me is some freak thing like an auto-accident, a hurricane, a plane crash, etc.

I look at this type of thing as an atrocity, something pre-meditated and carried out by a human being agains other random human beings just to make some kind of mis-guided point. Or even if it's a legitimate point - it doesn't matter.

I feel horrible for the victims and their families. I'm in awe of those everyday folks who stopped this guy. And I'm grateful for the people on the scene that this madman wasn't easily able to acquire guns instead of knives, as the scale of the atrocity could have been so much greater.

And, as usual in this mixed up world, today's headlines, no matter how horrible or important, will be forgotten by tomorrow and used to wrap fish or line bird-cages...

-Ray
^^THIS, 100% this
Old 12-02-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Hi, I did not know that but I suppose, I shouldn't be surprised.

I suspect that there is always more to such terrible situations and the rationale of those who commit such acts.

However, I do see this as a tragedy, for the families of those cruelly cut down, and for those for whom these two young people were so committed to help - it was a conference about helping to rehabilitate ex criminals, such as the attacker.

One of the men who took action against him was a waiter at the meeting. He is a Polish chap who, as he was a trained first-aider, heard screams so ran to assist, and found himself in the midst of the attack seeing people being stabbed and killed. He sustained severe wounds on one arm, which, a police spokesman said today will mean permanent damage. He persisted in his efforts to stop the killer.

It is terrible that people's lives can be so randomly damaged in this way, and it is awful that a coach full of young children witnessed a policeman shooting someone in London.

Then again, even worse has been happening for so long in the middle east.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
It is terrible that people's lives can be so randomly damaged in this way, and it is awful that a coach full of young children witnessed a policeman shooting someone in London.
Well I prefer to think of it as perhaps just a good lesson to them about the consequences of breaking the law and/or hurting people. But then again I'm in the USA where this is not an altogether uncommon event (police shootings).
Old 12-02-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Well I prefer to think of it as perhaps just a good lesson to them about the consequences of breaking the law and/or hurting people. But then again I'm in the USA where this is not an altogether uncommon event (police shootings).
Yes! The police officer shooting the terrorist was a very good thing.
Stopped him dead, did it not?
Batons are useless.
A horrible tragedy for sure, I am deeply saddened for the victims and their families.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Awareness of your surroundings and a fair amount of fearless are how we all should be. In my case I say need to be. When our neighbor doesn't or isn't we should step up for them. This event demonstrated that.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:57 PM

How do you explain these things? It appears that hatred have always been with us and always will. It doesn't make me feel very good to say that.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-02-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Edited.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:07 PM

I wonder if the UK will alter its law not to allow a convicted terrorist out of prison early.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic