The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-15-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Speaker installation is a DIY if you want to get a jump on things - just make sure you get the polarity right; ...
Speaker polarity is irrelevant in single-speaker amps. If an extension cab is used, ok, pay attention.

Steven
Old 01-15-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo58 View Post
Speaker polarity is irrelevant in single-speaker amps...
I was told just the opposite by my former amp tech: while you're not dealing with potential phase problems as in a multi-/extension-speaker rig, even in a single-speaker setup you need to take cone excursion into account; as it was explained to me, the cone's suspension is designed for outward motion and rebound to a neutral position - when you reverse the polarity you're creating inward rather than outward movement and, analogous to a car whose suspension bottoms out on a deep pothole or hard bump, you run the risk of damaging the voice coil (possibly the cone as well) when it too bottoms out...
Old 01-15-2021, 01:19 PM

Raezer's Edge has come out with their own line of solid state amplifiers and combos. The Centauri Hybrid combo looks like an impressive amp with a tube preamp and class D poweramp. Very light, 200 watts and a variety of speaker combinations available. From the demos I've seen and because of the speaker choices/open back, I suspect that I would choose this over the Henriksen:

https://www.raezers-edge.com/products/centauri-hybrid/

There is a good thread on Jazzguitar.be about it, including video demos:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guit...aezer%27s+edge
Old 01-18-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Earlier you said you’d used a DR w/JBLs. That’s been part of my go-to setup for a while, but I’m looking at the CR for a little more versatility. Could you characterize the difference you hear?

Thanks
I have a DRRI and have tried several speakers in it, including a C-Rex. The sparkly top end that you get from JBLs (and a lot of alnico speakers) is clipped in the C-Rex. It's most notable sound features are a tightened up, but strong bass (that's the hemp) and a taming of the ice pick highs black faced Fenders are known for. The speaker has gotten the most love for tightening up flabby or farty bass and piercing highs. It's also quite loud.

I also own a PRRI 12" special edition which I put a Celestion Cream alnico speaker ($$$) in and, while I don't play jazz through it, it's an incredible sounding amp at 35lbs. For a good jazz tone, a blackface Fender should get your there just by adjusting the tone knobs, perhaps without even needing a speaker change.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:46 AM

Never seen one of these in the wild. Always wanted to drive one.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
I have a DRRI and have tried several speakers in it, including a C-Rex. The sparkly top end that you get from JBLs (and a lot of alnico speakers) is clipped in the C-Rex.
That speaker can absolutely rescue a Blues Jr.

Couch Standards
Old 01-22-2021, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

The amp is ready. Heading to go pick it up from the shop. New speaker and tubes are biased.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
...C-Rex...most notable sound features are a tightened up, but strong bass (that's the hemp) and a taming of the ice-pick highs...It's also quite loud...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
The amp is ready. Heading to go pick it up from the shop. New speaker and tubes are biased.
Although you'll notice an immediate difference with the upgrade tubes and C-Rex (particularly in the volume/headroom department), IME with the big-brother Swamp Thang give the combination at least 40-50 hours of break-in time at medium volume before making any final judgments on tone...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 01-24-2021, 12:19 PM

I use Quilter Mini 101/Block Dock 10 combo. Small, powerful and sounds great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops