The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 01:20 PM

Default Recommend me an OM/000 guitar

Hello!

TL;DR: Recommend me an OM/000 type electro-acoustic guitar for around 900$.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of John Mayer's music, and I fell in love with his sound. Specifically I like the muddy Martin-ish sound when the guitar is connected to an amp. So I would like a guitar which sounds somewhat like that. Here is an example of what I'm looking for. This Fender also sounds quite beautiful.

So I would guess that a OM/000 model would be most suitable for me. Naturally, I would want it to have electronics.
My only problem is that I cannot really afford a proper Martin guitar.
My budget is around 900$ right now, but I guess I could go up to 1000$ if the difference in quality and playability is huge.

I found certain cheaper Martin models, such as the 000X1AE, and the 000RS1, but I would guess that there are better guitars at a similar price.
Another alternative would be one of the Sigma guitars, such as the 000R-28V.

Could recommend something for me? Preferably something that can be found on the European market, since I guess that paying for shipment from the US would considerably reduce my budget.

On a side note: The only amp that I own right now is the Blackstar Fly 3 mini amp, which has quite a nice clean channel in my opinion, and my electric guitar sounds quite nice through it. Will I be able to use this amp with an electro-acoustic guitar?
Old 01-17-2019, 01:30 PM

Used Larrivee OM-3 or OM-40 would be my first choice.

Used Martin 000-16GT.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:38 PM

The Fender in your example sounds good because of the recording tools used during recording. The is literally zero similarity in the tone of the Martin used by John Mayer and that Fender.

Fenders are not well respected for their acoustic tone. Before you shell out some money, you need to learn a bit about pickups and the way different ones sound. If you are seeking a good acoustic tone the pickup and amp are just as, or more important, than the actual tone of the guitar.

Personally, I despise the sound of a piezo UST, which is what John Mayer's guitar is using or a blend of piezo & mic. Keep in mind that he also has a soundguy and preamps, effects, etc to help dial in his tone.

You will get a LOT more guitar for the money buying a Sigma than a low-end Martin. Buy an acoustic one and have a quality pickup installed.

Most new guitars need a setup for ease of playability, especially Martins.

As for the Blackstar, my wife had one and returned it. It may sound fine with an electric but it won't do much to compliment the tone of an acoustic with a decent pickup.

IMO, plan on a guitar, setup, pickup installation and a decent amp like a loudbox mini.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-17-2019, 01:51 PM

Blueridge BR-163. 90% of a Martin OM with rosewood back and sides for about $800 USD.

I should have read the OP more closely. This doesn't have electronics. It would cost to have a pickup added. It still might come in under your budget.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

Last edited by Nyghthawk; 01-17-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:51 PM

After listening to the clip, I was not impressed with his tone ...piezo quacking going on. If that's what you liked you have many OM or 000 options.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-17-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Right here on the forum:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=534940

A good Martin for less than $500! Can't beat it!
Steve
Old 01-17-2019, 03:03 PM

Martin 000-15 wouldn't be a bad choice and a good chance you'd love it. Not sure about the final cost in your market however.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Used Larrivee OM-3 or OM-40 would be my first choice.

Used Martin 000-16GT.
Those would be my first choices too. But the OP is in Europe where used Larrivee prices are very high (as are new ones).

In the US I would reccomend a used Larrivee OM-03 or OM-03R. In Europe, probably a Furch.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-17-2019, 08:05 PM

Yamaha LS16, all solid Englemann spruce over rosewood, or the LS16M with mahogany back and sides. It has a passive undersaddle pickup and no onboard controls, so a decent pre-amp would be advisable. Caveat; played acoustically the L-series isn't especially 'muddy' sounding, so you would need to eq it carefully for the tones you want.
Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAexyspn26s
Old 01-18-2019, 08:29 AM

Thanks everyone for the nice replies, they are really helpful!

I'll do my best to find and try out some of the guitars that you recommended!
Old 01-18-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Since you are in the Euro market, I'd highly recommend getting a Sigma and putting the best pick-up you can in it. I don't know the current model number but I have an OMR-21 that gives me more Martin tone than any other copy I know of.

I've had an OMR-21 for about 16 months. About 3 months ago I got Martin OM-18. You would think I'd sell off the copy since I now have an original. No way; the copy is too good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion