The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Default Upgrading to a better guitar

I currently own a throw-around very cheap classical guitar. It was my first guitar and I bought it without having a clue what to go for at the time. I didn't know anything at all about guitars basically.

Lately I've been looking to get an upgrade and I found these odd guitars on the very popular retailer, Thomann:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_classica_s.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_cla...ra_pro_4_4.htm

Both, surprisingly, are all solid. The first one is around $130 while the other one is a bit more expensive and costs $270. For all solid guitars the prices seem way too low. The first one seems to have decent reviews as it has been (at least according to Thomann) available since 1999. The other one has only been available since last year and it doesn't have the same amount of ratings and reviews.

Is anyone, presumably from Europe, familiar with these two guitars? At the moment, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Thomann Classic Natura Pro. Both seem to be of decent quality for the price.

Thoughts?
Old 07-05-2014, 06:13 PM

Cool Upgrading to a better guitar

I don't know what your budget is but I wouldn't expect much difference in quality from what you currently have. Until your budget will allow you to look for something in the $500-$1000 price range, you won't find much that you would consider an upgrade.

Those guitars are "store brand" which usually means they were made in China, and of questionable quality (at those prices). I own several guitars from China, and all mine are high-quality and sound great, with solid cedar or Sitka spruce tops, and rosewood B&S. You might want to consider looking for a guitar made for a specific guitar company like Eastman, Yamaha, Takamine, Antonio Hermosa, or Cordoba, if they are available in your area. I hope that helps.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 07-05-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCS View Post
I currently own a throw-around very cheap classical guitar. It was my first guitar and I bought it without having a clue what to go for at the time. I didn't know anything at all about guitars basically.

Lately I've been looking to get an upgrade and I found these odd guitars on the very popular retailer, Thomann:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_classica_s.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_cla...ra_pro_4_4.htm

Both, surprisingly, are all solid. The first one is around $130 while the other one is a bit more expensive and costs $270. For all solid guitars the prices seem way too low. The first one seems to have decent reviews as it has been (at least according to Thomann) available since 1999. The other one has only been available since last year and it doesn't have the same amount of ratings and reviews.

Is anyone, presumably from Europe, familiar with these two guitars? At the moment, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Thomann Classic Natura Pro. Both seem to be of decent quality for the price.

Thoughts?
Laminated wood isn't all bad at those price points. Laminated wood doesn't usually provide the same tonal response as solids once you get to the higher end models. But in the lower price points (under, say, $750), laminates from a quality manufacturer can provide good to excellent tone along with better stability compared to cheap solid wood from budget manufacturers. If possible, and at the higher ranges of this price point, consider a solid top, but don't worry so much about the back and sides.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:58 PM

Check out a Cordoba c5ce. Very Nice for the price.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

I absolutely love my new La Patrie Concert, solid cedar top, mahogany back/sides. Wonderful tone. I had had a cheap Yamaha CG122MS but it went back because it got damaged in shipping. It was pretty decent and I would have kept it but didn't want to wait for a replacement. Not sure if you have La Patrie dealer in your area though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical