The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-23-2014, 11:44 PM

Default New acoustic & nylon guitar suggestions

Hello guys

So i'm looking to buy one acoustic guitar and maybe 1 classical guitar. I'd prefer them to have pickup to plug into PA. I don't know much about guitars, or at least non-electric ones, I just play them, don't really look into them, so can you guys give me a few suggestions or at least brands that you guys consider good for the value.

My budget is under 2000$ USD total for both, or 1. I'd prefer to buy them used. My main priority is acoustic/electric for fingerstyle, but sometimes I play classical as well. I currently own the larrivee D-03, which I think is excellent except that I'd prefer a slightly warmer sound(maybe martin sound), the nut (spacing between the strings? is that what it's called) to be wider, and cutaway ( for easier 12+ frets access)

So yes any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as you can see I'm a total noob. Thank you for your time !
Old 06-24-2014, 06:16 AM

Default New acoustic & nylon guitar suggestions

Nylon - go with the cordoba C5ce.
Steel - others will help.

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 06-24-2014, 09:48 AM

I believe Cordoba has some "hybrid" or "crossover" nylon string guitars that are pretty highly regarded. They are nylon string guitars with proportions closer to your regular steel string guitars. Nut/Neck widths are somewhere between classical and the usual steel string numbers.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-24-2014, 10:37 AM

I would recommend this one:

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guita...ightburst.html

A LaPatrie Hybrid CW - comes with QII electronics, which combine a UST with a microphone. Normal 2" nut width, but a slight 24" radius on the fretboard - here's a pic:

Here's one at Musician's Friend - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar - $895
Old 06-24-2014, 02:54 PM

I already owned a yamaha cg172sf so the cordoba C5ce doesn't seem like much of an upgrade.

About the nud width thing I think there's a misunderstanding. Basically i'm fine with the nud width for a standard classical guitar. It's the acoustic guitar that I want a slightly wider width than a standard ( or maybe wider than my larrivee d-03, which I think is standard?).

I also think the LaPatrie Hybrid CW would be a downgrade?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:21 PM

Cool New acoustic-electric and nylon string classical electric

For the acoustic electric I would look at the Recording King ROS-06 FE3. It's a 12 fret model, 1-7/8 nut width, solid Sitka top, mahogany B&S. Fishman UST, vintage style triangle bridge, slotted headstock with butterbean tuners. Great sound and great value at $400. Case is extra.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 PM

that seems to be a downgrade from the larrivee as well
Old 06-25-2014, 02:30 PM

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here but I have an Alvarez Yairi CY127CE I'd like to sell. I used it for about a year and a half with great results. The only reason for not holding on to it is that the neck is a little larger than what is comfortable for me. Not bad though and good quality with an ebony fretboard. There is one currently on ebay if you want to see what they look like. I think they sold originally in the fifteen hundred dollar range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical