The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Good post jklotz! +1
Old 08-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Having interned with a very good luthier in the past, I can tell you most folks come in for a setup without the faintest clue of how they want it done. He always asked - what strings/gauge? What style of music? Hard strummer or fingerstyle? What don't you like about it now? Most would answer in vague non descript answers, in which case we had a paper on the wall with the numbers from the stew mac document for a "generic" setup. A lot of folks were perfectly happy with that. But I can tell you a bluegrass guy who'd be trying to keep up with a banjo would not be happy with a setup for a fingerstyle player, or vice versa. Every now and again, a guy would come in and say "I want the relief at .004/1000th at the 5th, the nut slots .0010/1000" above the 1st fret and the action at the 12th fret to be...." Those guys were always thrilled with the work.

My point being how is Collings, or any other builder, supposed to read your mind? They send them out with the action high and a good bit of relief because if they didn't, a guy would come in, bang out louie louie with full force, then get on a forum like this and complain that the $5K guitar they just played buzzed like crazy. And that effects sales, like it or not. So a blanket statement like "I don't know why a Collings should need special treatment when....." bothers me.

OP - call Collings customer support. Explain your issue to them. Tell them you think your guitar plays stiff, or whatever. I don't have a Collings guitar, so I can't comment from personal experience, but my guess is they will get you a lot closer to a resolution than any of us here can. If, after a fair shot, they fail to take care of you, then we can have a very different discussion.
You've given me a good insight. My luthier is about 50 miles away, and has set up several of my acoustics. I'm going to bring in a Yamaha LS 16 that he set up exquisitely, and ask him to copy specs on that. I'll also ask him if he'll contact Collings for advice too, and we'll see how that works. Thanks again!
Old 08-03-2019, 06:45 AM

Default Collings Customer Support

So, I bought a Collings OM-1 AT two years ago. At first I was not happy with the guitar. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something was really not working for me.

I called Collings and presto, they sent a very capable guitar repair man to visit and work on my guitar. He lived about 80 miles away!

After he was done adjusting the truss rod and other things, it was like a totally different guitar! I loved it right away. I called up Collings and thanked them.

I too was curious why the guitar needed aftermarket attention. Now, it had been in a store for > 1 year and I bought it sight unseen.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
You've given me a good insight. My luthier is about 50 miles away, and has set up several of my acoustics. I'm going to bring in a Yamaha LS 16 that he set up exquisitely, and ask him to copy specs on that. I'll also ask him if he'll contact Collings for advice too, and we'll see how that works. Thanks again!
Yes sir! That's the way to do it. He can measure relief, saddle height, etc etc on that Yammy. Now, take that one step further - have him write down those numbers for you. Keep them in the case. Every time you go in for a setup, show the guy those numbers.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m02876 View Post
So, I bought a Collings OM-1 AT two years ago. At first I was not happy with the guitar. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something was really not working for me.

I called Collings and presto, they sent a very capable guitar repair man to visit and work on my guitar. He lived about 80 miles away!

After he was done adjusting the truss rod and other things, it was like a totally different guitar! I loved it right away. I called up Collings and thanked them.

I too was curious why the guitar needed aftermarket attention. Now, it had been in a store for > 1 year and I bought it sight unseen.
Wow! They sent a tech to your house? Now that is customer service!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion