The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I'm considering a guitar dedicated to fingerstyle. Requirements would be 1 3/4" nut, decent string spacing at the bridge, all solid wood and short scale. Preferable a 000 or possibly a 00 sized body. I don't want to limit it to rosewood or mahogany b & s, so anything is fair game (I've played some guitars that had some tone woods I'd never though fit me, but were great and some that were "my spec" that were completely underwhelming, so I'll leave my preconceived notions at the door).

I played a few new 000-28's that I liked, but I just can't get along with that pencil thin neck. The 000-28ec was a better fit, but a) I'm not Eric Clapton, so I'd prefer not to have his (or anybody's) signature on the fb and b) the $3700 price tag is a little rich for my blood.

That being said, I'm willing to part with $2 - $3K.

Any suggestions?
I would recommend you have a look at one of the Furch OM's - what was Millenium but now colour series. I have two of these and also a G size Furch and they are all fantastic fingerstyle guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 07-30-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Your Eastman doesn't fill that role for you? I was just curious since I just picked up an e20om-tc and it's plenty loud when I pick, albeit with a thumbpick and fingers.
Good point. Yes, I am really enjoying my little eOM-20. It's a great little guitar! The issue I have with it for the more intricate fingerstyle pieces is the nut width and string spacing. The specs say 1 3/4" but it feels way tighter than that. I've been playing it to work up some pieces and I can make it work, but then I play a guitar with the wider spacing and all the sudden things get easier. Difficult to explain, but that's what led me to my search.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I would recommend you have a look at one of the Furch OM's - what was Millenium but now colour series. I have two of these and also a G size Furch and they are all fantastic fingerstyle guitars.
I am interested in Furch for sure. Their model lineup is confusing to me. Maybe I'm just dense? Can you tell me which of them has short scale?
Old 07-30-2019, 07:26 AM

Martin 000-18GE is what you seek!

Find a used one to fit the budget.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm considering a guitar dedicated to fingerstyle. Requirements would be 1 3/4" nut, decent string spacing at the bridge, all solid wood and short scale. Preferable a 000 or possibly a 00 sized body. I don't want to limit it to rosewood or mahogany b & s, so anything is fair game (I've played some guitars that had some tone woods I'd never though fit me, but were great and some that were "my spec" that were completely underwhelming, so I'll leave my preconceived notions at the door).

I played a few new 000-28's that I liked, but I just can't get along with that pencil thin neck. The 000-28ec was a better fit, but a) I'm not Eric Clapton, so I'd prefer not to have his (or anybody's) signature on the fb and b) the $3700 price tag is a little rich for my blood.

Any suggestions?
You just described Eastman E20OM/E10OM. Then I saw one in your sig...
Does E20OM not satisfy for what you described?
Old 07-30-2019, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Unusual tone woods aside, what you're describing above is the reimagined 000-18. New taper neck, scalloped bracing, short scale and killer dry tone.

The GE or Signature variants would suffice too. I've always coveted the Laurence Juber Sig 000/OM Martin.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 07-30-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Taylors usually come with 2 3/16" string spacing at bridge, a little narrow for fingerstyle.
Steve
I beg to differ. Countless people play finger style on the standard Taylor nut width. Of course, YMMV.
https://youtu.be/hIydLDugn-0
Old 07-30-2019, 09:06 AM

If you are open to a slightly larger body, but comfortable, my recommendation would be that you try out one of the new Grand Pacifics from Taylor. They are not as deep as a Dread, but sound wonderful and are comfortable.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Your Eastman doesn't fill that role for you? I was just curious since I just picked up an e20om-tc and it's plenty loud when I pick, albeit with a thumbpick and fingers.
I agree. I wouldn’t trade The E20OM that I have for a 000-28 EC or otherwise. Mine did sound and play crappy when I got it, but a good setup with a new saddle by a great tech turned it into my #1.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
I agree. I wouldn’t trade The E20OM that I have for a 000-28 EC or otherwise. Mine did sound and play crappy when I got it, but a good setup with a new saddle by a great tech turned it into my #1.
I posted this in #17, but again:

Good point. Yes, I am really enjoying my little eOM-20. It's a great little guitar! The issue I have with it for the more intricate fingerstyle pieces is the nut width and string spacing. The specs say 1 3/4" but it feels way tighter than that. I've been playing it to work up some pieces and I can make it work, but then I play a guitar with the wider spacing and all the sudden things get easier. Difficult to explain, but that's what led me to my search.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:06 AM

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/p/...657/category=0
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-30-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
That's really nice, but I could get a new one for a little less from the forum sponsors. I think some folks have unrealistic expectations for used guitars' value.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:30 AM

Maybe custom order a 000-28 with the neck you want? I suspect you could still get in under 3k.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

In that price range I think you could do a custom 000-15m (with or without slothead), 12 fret, short scale, all mahogany. The custom would be whatever neck profile you prefer. You could also specify "Genuine Mahogany" which in Martin-speak is Honduran Mahogany, Swietenia macrophylla. Might have money left over to add a different fretboard inlay, gloss finish, or binding, etc. depending on whether you want any of those.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
What kind of saddle did you change to?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion