The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

I've only been to Nashville once. I enjoyed but...when I go back it'll be arriving on a Sunday and leaving before the following Friday. Broadway can be interesting and fun but it is a zoo. Especially after dark. Afternoons are your best bet. At night The Gulch is more to my liking.
Don't miss the chance to stop by Gruhn, Carter, and Artisan if you don't mind a short drive.
It's a fun town but like a lot of places it's slowly being ruined by being over run with tourists and folks moving into the area. I know...I live in such a place.

Last edited by llew; 07-30-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:26 PM

I generally don't like crowds and cities. Summer Saturday night in Nashville, taking a taxi from and back to motel. Had dinner with some cousins at BB King's place (he had unfortunately passed away previous spring, but band did played "The Thrill Is Gone"). After dinner we just walked through downtown. Lots of people, lots of bars and live music. Folks playing along the street. It was a great experience and plan to return.

Have fun!
Old 08-22-2019, 04:23 PM

We had a great time in Nashville. We drove after visiting my brother-in-lawís family in Knoxville to Franklin first- what a cute town with a lot history! Unfortunately Artisans was closed on Mondays so we drove near downtown with a stop off at Gruhns first - what an amazing candy shop that place is! I only spent 45 minutes there as I had the wife and kid with me but I spent most of my time playing Taylors - the 514 and 614 impressed me the most, but the real surprise was the Martin DSS-17. Although my experience is opposite to what a few have reported, I think I may prefer this over the Taylor 317. With the light fingerstyle I typically play, I thought it had a very nice dark tone - no jangle at all with using your fingertips. When I pulled out my pick it was noticeably more powerful but I didnít find the trebles too jangly using my Taylor Thermex 1.0 pick (the dark tone picks). Iím thinking of trading my 317 for the Martin - which a couple people here have gone in the opposite direction - different strokes and all that. I spent a half hour at Carters next and was disappointed to see that over half of the acoustics I played had very dull corroded strings. Notable exceptions were a pair of Collings dreads that were a total delight.

We then spent an evening at the Renaissance hotel and got to enjoy Roberts western world and the country music HOF. We thoroughly enjoyed both experiences. I do agree that a good bit of Broadway is a bit of a zoo after dark, but we had a good time meandering around nevertheless. We spent the rest of our time at the Gaylord resort, and enjoyed a great evening at the Opry with the Oak Ridge boys and Carrie Underwood. If we had to do it over again I think we would spend less time at the Gaylord (which is way outside of town) and a little more time downtown

Many thanks to everyone who made suggestions- as you can tell, I checked out many of your suggestions
Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Default to get in..

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Hey guys - the Blue bird was suggested a couple of times - I looked online and it said there wasn’t a cover charge but there were $10 drink minimums, which is fine. Perhaps a silly question - they don’t mind kids attending do they? My 11 year old son, who is responsible for getting me in the hobby, will be with us
the only way to get seats at the Bluebird is to get online Monday morning before you go at 8am central...and good luck..I play there..but I've never got a seat this way...if you get there about 3 to 3:30 for a 6 or 6:30 show...and stand to the right of the door..you may get in...they have about 15 seats they don't reserve....also...if someone with a reservation does not show up..you may get in....hard ticket to get....don't miss Carter Vintage, Gruhn's and Cotton Music Center...all within 1 square mile or so....
54D-28
49-000-18
49-OO-18 shade top
D-28LSH
OMJM
OM-28 RC
D-28 37'A
M3M
D-18
Pre-War "J"
Pre-War OM-28
Gibson 42 J-35
Gibson 51 J-45
Taylor 616e proto
Tak "kc"
Tak SS
Tak New Yorker
Rainsong shorty
Gibson 78 LP Deluxe
Gibson SG
Fender Lacabrinta Tele
Fender p-90 Tele
Fender 51' CS No caster
Fender CS Strat
Fender 73 P bass

Last edited by $ongWriter; 08-22-2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: words...a little ticked
Old 08-23-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
We had a great time in Nashville. We drove after visiting my brother-in-lawís family in Knoxville to Franklin first- what a cute town with a lot history! Unfortunately Artisans was closed on Mondays so we drove near downtown with a stop off at Gruhns first - what an amazing candy shop that place is! I only spent 45 minutes there as I had the wife and kid with me but I spent most of my time playing Taylors - the 514 and 614 impressed me the most, but the real surprise was the Martin DSS-17. Although my experience is opposite to what a few have reported, I think I may prefer this over the Taylor 317. With the light fingerstyle I typically play, I thought it had a very nice dark tone - no jangle at all with using your fingertips. When I pulled out my pick it was noticeably more powerful but I didnít find the trebles too jangly using my Taylor Thermex 1.0 pick (the dark tone picks). Iím thinking of trading my 317 for the Martin - which a couple people here have gone in the opposite direction - different strokes and all that. I spent a half hour at Carters next and was disappointed to see that over half of the acoustics I played had very dull corroded strings. Notable exceptions were a pair of Collings dreads that were a total delight.

We then spent an evening at the Renaissance hotel and got to enjoy Roberts western world and the country music HOF. We thoroughly enjoyed both experiences. I do agree that a good bit of Broadway is a bit of a zoo after dark, but we had a good time meandering around nevertheless. We spent the rest of our time at the Gaylord resort, and enjoyed a great evening at the Opry with the Oak Ridge boys and Carrie Underwood. If we had to do it over again I think we would spend less time at the Gaylord (which is way outside of town) and a little more time downtown

Many thanks to everyone who made suggestions- as you can tell, I checked out many of your suggestions
After my outing to Nashville last year (Carter's, Two Old Hippies, Artisan's) I am firmly of the belief that the next time I go to those shops it will be without spouse, children, or in laws. That type of experience needs to be savored like a multi course meal with a fine wine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion