The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2020, 01:09 PM

Default Martin D-16E: Your Thoughts, Please!

I recently sold my 2017 Martin Custom Road Series DCRSGT and I'm now looking to upgrade. My search had narrowed to the Yamaha A5R and the Takamine P2DC, either of which can be had for $1399/shipped; however, I just stumbled upon the Martin D-16E and I have to say that I'm intrigued - plus, I like the facts that: 1) it's not a cutaway, and 2) it's Made in the USA.

The Martin D-16E has a 000 body width, solid East Indian Rosewood back/sides (satin), solid Sitka Spruce top, Fishman Matrix VT Enhance electronics, a Martin soft case, and - it is routinely priced at $1649/shipped! All-in-all, it sounds like a very feature-laden guitar, at a very competitive price point.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Martin D-16E? How does it compare to the Yamaha A5R and Takamine P2DC?

Currently, our local music shops don't have any of these models in stock, so I'll likely have to purchase one online, sight/sound unseen.

Thanks for your input, guys.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

The current model offering has a Mahogany one cheaper than the rosewood one, just FYI, in case you're open to mahogany, which I think is the better combo in that model.

The previous offering was sycamore with grey binding...not a big hit so they changed it to more traditional wood complement.

I owned the Sycamore one...pretty blah, but very nice fit and finish.

I have played the Mahogany D16e from the current offering and it's great, a comfortable alternative to traditional thicker body Dreads and retains all the things about Martin that I like. The pickup system is overkill, but it;s fine. I wouldn't hesitate to get that. Should be able to find a used one for a little over $1000...maybe $1200. They're out there once in awhile.

The current ones have downgraded to an underwhelming gig bag vs the hard case, so that's the only real disappointment to me. I'm pro gig bag, that one just leaves a lot to be desired compared to what else is out there and certainly compared to the hardshell cases they used to send with that model.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:48 PM

Sorry, no personal experience but, like you, it definitely got my attention. It seems like a good choice. All that's left is to get one in your hands. I'm anxious to hear the outcome
Old 11-06-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
The current model offering has a Mahogany one cheaper than the rosewood one, just FYI, in case you're open to mahogany, which I think is the better combo in that model...

I have played the Mahogany D16e from the current offering and it's great, a comfortable alternative to traditional thicker body Dreads and retains all the things about Martin that I like. The pickup system is overkill, but it;s fine. I wouldn't hesitate to get that. Should be able to find a used one for a little over $1000...maybe $1200. They're out there once in awhile.

The current ones have downgraded to an underwhelming gig bag vs the hard case, so that's the only real disappointment to me. I'm pro gig bag, that one just leaves a lot to be desired compared to what else is out there and certainly compared to the hardshell cases they used to send with that model.
I haven't played either one, but I have listened to demos; to my ears, the Rosewood sounds brighter, with more articulation; the mahogany model does sound warmer, but more subdued.

The pickup system is a step up from the Fishman system in my DCRSGT, so that's okay, too.

We're in agreement regarding the case, too; I'd prefer a hard case. I'm very particular about my gear, so I can live with the soft case until I find a worthy replacement.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-06-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker1 View Post
Sorry, no personal experience but, like you, it definitely got my attention. It seems like a good choice. All that's left is to get one in your hands. I'm anxious to hear the outcome
Yep. I was originally considering the D-13E, but the D-16E has some noteworthy upgrades that are worth the extra $$$, IMHO.

Thanks for your input!
Old 11-06-2020, 03:16 PM

I had played both the rosewood and Mahogany D-16E and thought they were both great playing and sounding guitars, exhibiting the characteristics described above. While I ended up with a SWDGT, I think the 16 series is an even bigger bang for the buck.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

If you're considering spending $1649 already you should know you can find a D18 or 000-18 for about $300 more from a forum sponsor. It's hard to go wrong with an 18.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
If you're considering spending $1649 already you should know you can find a D18 or 000-18 for about $300 more from a forum sponsor. It's hard to go wrong with an 18.
Jesse beat me to it.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 11-06-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopicker View Post
I had played both the rosewood and Mahogany D-16E and thought they were both great playing and sounding guitars, exhibiting the characteristics described above. While I ended up with a SWDGT, I think the 16 series is an even bigger bang for the buck.
Great to hear. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I hear you, but I'm coming out of a Road Series DCRSGT and the D18 is too far a leap for me, considering my current needs.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:20 PM

I bought my D-16 mahogany (no electrics) about 10 years ago. It's a great guitar and I'm happy to have it but one day I'll upgrade to a Martin Standard series because I think there's a difference. Guessing there's a bigger difference given the D-16E has a thinner body depth.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I have a 2003 Martin D-16GT. I played a couple of D-18 at Sam Ash and a couple at the Martin Factory last year. At no time did I feel that I had to sell my D-16GT and buy a D-18, but I did like them .

Here's a recording of my D-16, in an untreated recording area, with cheap mics:

Generally, when buying guitars, the forum suggests that you buy the best you can afford. If you can go the extra $300 to the D-18, I say go for it, but don't feel you are missing the boat if you don't and stay with the D-16

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-06-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Which forum sponsors? I'm looking around for a OM-21.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have ben unable to find anyone that advertises here or elsewhere offering the true 40 % off Martin full retail anymore.

More like 35-37 % is the best they will do in this sellers market...
Old 11-07-2020, 12:06 AM

In my opinion it doesnt even compare to the Yamaha a5r unplugged or plugged in. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion