The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-06-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Yes of course I'm aware that in and of itself it's not a plug-in. The MixBuss however (apparently) uses a fairly common code (usually referred to generically as a bit depth maximizer) on the master buss. Indeed that (at least in part) is how one gains what has been described here as head room. Nothing new although certainly the term headroom might be used slightly out of context.

Yes but indeed that's my whole point. There is a world of really great bit depth maximizers out there that would at least do something very, very similar simply sitting a master track or even individual sub-groups.. At very least could you describe what the Harrison (as a stand alone DAW) solution does that an L3 on the master output of Pro Tools wouldn't? I don't yet see it? Remember the magic in any old analog console is multifaceted but the one singular standout is the characteristic sound of what it does to peaks, not how it increases RMS. What I see here is an analog emulator that uses some coded, look-ahead compression scheme that raises the RMS. That's way old school in the world of DAW's. That's not to say it doesn't sound good, it probably does. It's just nothing even remotely new and in that doesn't seem very practical for someone dealing with multi-track project, especially big ones.
Read this thread at Gearslutz
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...5-19-95-a.html
as the thread grows and people start sharing their impressions after purchasing and using it in various ways. Sure there are some negatives but that is to be expected with any Software. There are plenty of people that hate Waves L1-3.
Let's just assume you will never like or use MixBuss and stand firm with your take on things. Is there really any more reason for you to express your doubts and make negative comments on a product you won't buy or even have personal experience with. You are speaking more on theory opposed to using your ears to judge how MixBuss actually sounds. We are almost getting to trollvile me thinks
Got to thinking more about your claim that MixBuss master Buss is similar to L3. If this were so why would Harrison sell a bundle that is called XT-MC Multi-Band Compressor?

Last edited by whitecloud; 05-06-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-08-2014, 11:48 AM

FYI Harrison is offering a "Flash sale" which is their Plugin Essentials license. The bundle includes
GVerb+ reverb. and
3D Triple Delay. If you already bought the no-brainer Harrison MixBus you would of received an email if not check your spam folder the email leads to here
http://http://sites.fastspring.com/h...pon=FLASHSALE1
I went for it and did a quick test run with both plugs and you can't beat them for the price. The Reverb and delay plugs I have already in my VST plugins folder are,:Vahalla room for Reverb. Waves H-Delay and Rob Papen's RP-delay.
So will I use the Harrisons plugs I just bought. yeah pretty straight forward GUI and they sound pretty darn good. So far no problem with MixBuss or the plug-ins I just bought. FYI you need to copy the license Key to where the Mixbuss key resides. If I remember correctly after the install of MixBuss the license was "moved" from my Downloads folder(Windows 7 64 bit. I had to show hidden files in my User folder. The plugins are already installed, you just get the license and put it where it belongs. I don't know how it works with other OS's
This offer ends May 10'th. Normal price is $69.00

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD