The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 PM

Default Ok, how is the tone on those little Rainsong Parlor's?

I have a wonderful Martin dread, a wonderful Martin Custom OM15, and a wonderful Martin DX beater. Would like a parlor guitar. Played a few different ones and the tone was....very boxy.

So, how is the tone on these new Parlor Rainsongs?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:57 PM

Great question No Named Horse... I would love to try one, but can't seem to find any around here...
I'm aching to see if Nashville tuning would make those little puppies "sing", but hesitate to spend 2 grand on an experiment...
Perhaps Ted could chime in here? Are there any soundclips or videos out yet? Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 03-10-2013, 06:55 AM

Guys,

MacNichol Guitars always does a Roadtrip with new offerings but is not doing one with the new Rainsong Parlors. I believe there is enough demand and I do not believe it is because it is an expensive guitar. He has a $4k Leviora Nylon guitar going on a Roadtrip.

It I were to choose one for the Roadtrip it would be the P12.

Ted at LA Guitars describes the Parlor as being warmer than the Shorty.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 03-10-2013, 07:14 AM

I put my Rainsong OM 1000 in Nashville and it was awesome. These small RainSongs are so chimey they are perfect for high strung tuning. I left it in Nashville for a while but while really cool, that tuning is not very versital.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Just looked on the McNickol forum site, and heard a P14&P12 through you tube... Sounded pretty good on my I-Pad in mono... Will listen later in stereo...
Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 PM

Just bought one used on the MacNickel forum, sales area, there is a platinum one still there. Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 03-10-2013, 12:48 PM

Hey guys, let me start with a little background on this amazing little guitar.

As some of you already know, a smaller Rainsong is something I've been pushing for for years. I've had many conversations with Ashvin about it, even sent him one of my favorite parlors for size evaluation but he was concerned about two things, price and tonal qualities. He felt a travel guitar might not sound good enough to be called a Rainsong and thought folks would want a reduced price he might not be able to deliver. His concerns were valid of course, small guitars do tend to sound small, and for some odd reason people expect smaller guitars to cost less than their full size versions even though they cost the same to produce. Convinced there was a market for a carbon parlor Ashvin decided to move ahead with the project using the hybrid/unidirectional combo first used on our LA1 custom and made popular by the Shorty, and the shape of the Martin 0 12-fret body, a size and shape that has stood the test of time.

Considering how hard I pushed for this guitar I was a bit nervous when I received the first Parlor last year because I knew this project wasn't cheap and I would have hated to be responsible, even partially responsible for a flop, but one strum and I knew Ashvin would do just fine with this little gem. I got the guitar just before Christmas so I had some down time at home and was able to play it alongside a half dozen of my favorite parlors. My P12 not only held it's own, but actually outperformed many of them.

For starters the P12 doesn't sound like a carbon guitar. Sure it has tons of clarity and projection you just can't get from wood, but it's missing that extreme clarity that has kept some folks away from carbon guitars. Those of you who have played the Shorty know what I mean, it has a nice warmth without sounding muddy, the Parlor takes that to the next level. Make no mistake, the P12 is a parlor so it will favor the mids and the highs but it doesn't sound boxy and dry like say a vintage Washburn. The tone is actually rather close to our custom Martin 0-15S but with more overtones.

Moving from the P12 to the P14 provided expected tonal differences, the longer scale gives up a little warmth but has more projection. In addition to the tonal difference the P14 will provide a full size guitar feel which can be a plus for folks who feel cramped by a 12-fret short scale. Althoug I prefer the 12-fret version, it was pure genius to offer the Parlor with the 14-fret long scale neck as well, this combo is actually proving rather popular.

Ok, I am obviously biased but I think Rainsong has a huge hit on their hands. The added clarity and overtones as compared to most all wood parlors make the Rasinong Parlor a much more versatile instrument for gigging and recording than one would think so I think it will be accepted by a larger audience than expected.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanks Ted, for the history, sorry I ended up scoring the used one, didn't think that would happen so soon with a new model. I will be fasinated to try this new beast. It is as cute as they come, if sounds good as well your right they will sell quite a few.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 03-10-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Ted,

It is really great that you have been so involved in the development of the Parlor. As a shop owner, it goes without saying that you have the pulse on what is appealing to customers and what will sell well. I am anxious to try one but am not willing to buy one as I am a two guitar owner type of gal. My hope is that MacNicol will decide to do a Roadtrip,

Steve, I am not surprised that two Parlors have shown up used. Some folks are willing to put out the cash just to try something new. And with no Roadtrip, this makes it more or less a decision to pull the trigger.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 03-10-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
Ted,

It is really great tht you have been so involved in the development of the Parlor. As a shop owner, it goes without saying that you have the pulse on heat is appealing to customers and what will sell well. I am anxious to try one but am not willing to buy one as I am a two guitar owner type of gal. My hope is that MacNicol will decide to do a Roadtrip,

Steve, I am not surprised that two Parlors have shown up used. Some folks are willing to put out the cash just to try something new. And with no Roadtrip, this makes it more or less a decision to pull the trigger.
That's true, I assume if I don't like it I will sell it and probably will not loose too much. My gut tells me I will soon be selling my Om1000. We will see. This is my first 12 fret.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 03-10-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
That's true, I assume if I don't like it I will sell it and probably will not loose too much. My gut tells me I will soon be selling my Om1000. We will see. This is my first 12 fret.
Once you own a 12 fret you will never turn back!!!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Talking

I just bought a Pewter P14 from Ted and am counting the days until it gets across the country into my hands! The UPS tracker is calling for a Friday delivery, so I'm hoping that there will be some RainSong tones to go with the corned beef and cabbage next weekend.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:14 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I have had the P12 clear (black) Parlor for a few weeks now and I really love it. It may be the perfect songwriter guitar because the small body is easier to hold and manage, and the basic volume of the guitar is a bit softer than the Shorty allowing you to hear yourself sing. The tone is very similar to the Shorty and it has everything I love about that guitar - beautiful clean tones and excellent dynamic range. Since I was already comfortable with the 12-fret Shorty neck, the Parlor instantly felt familiar in my hands and the action was very good right out of the box.

I think I'm going to have a nice gig bag made for it. The size of this guitar really lends itself to being carried around and I think a good sturdy gig bag would make me want to throw it in the car more often.

JR
Old 03-10-2013, 11:16 PM

Nice report, looking forward to mine. Rainsong ought to add a Parlor Gig bag to its line up. Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 03-11-2013, 07:06 AM

The size is very very nice for sure..I played both at NAMM and I could not decide which I liked better...Hard to get real intimate with a guitar at a show like that with all the commotion and noise. Every time I went to the RainSong booth (20 times at least ... after all I was a red badge "RainSong Exhibitor") I would grab one...when other folks would put them down long enough. I am thinkin' the 12 to start.
It was fun handing the parlors to people trying the other models. I directed a lot of folks toward the parlor that didn't seem interested at first and then they would smile right away when they felt the comfort and heard them. Cool and fun stuff for a boy like me.

If JR was there and did not already have one I would have made him try them and he would have loved them and wanted to be my best friend forever... but alas..not meant to be.

Ashvin (and Ted) done real good is what I am trying to say here. I'm done.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber